I Want A Single Coil That Rocks!!!

Know-dem-scales

• Members

First, let me thank you all for not being a bunch of smart arses with my question.  I have a Fender Strat American Professional.  I want a bridge pickup that rocks a la, Guns n Roses, ZZ Top, also southern rock, and maybe a little harder, Metallica.  Not too much though like crazy hard metal.  A humbucker in a single coil slot.  I don’t wanna break the bank either.  What ya got?

• Members

Any single coil I going to retain a good deal of metallic quack tones a Fender is noted for.

My suggestion is, if you want the Humbucker tone, get another guitar that produces those tones.  There is no shortage of great used guitars which will give you those tones you want.  Keep the fender stock and learn to make it do the things its great at doing, make the other guitar do the that's its great at doing. 

As others said, you can modify pickups or add gain boxes, but those are at best compromises and you usually wind up with a guitar that's doesn't do either tone very well.  I have a guitar with just about every combination you can think of including full sized, and mini Humbuckers in Strat's.  Since yours is an American Pro I wouldn't advise modding it.  Especially not with a full sized HB. Those don't have what you'd call a boat route like cheap Strats do.  You'd wind up destroying the instruments value routing a hole big enough to fit a full sized HB.  You're much better off buying a good used Epiphone, Jackson, Ibanez etc for a humbucker sound.  The exception might be the ZZ Top tones. I can nail them on a tele quite well using the right gain boxes.  I don't come close using a Strat, mainly because of the pickup positions and tone. 

• Members

I love to use a Bill Lawrence L-250, Dragonfire Duo Rail, Dimarzio Chopper or Seymour Duncan Screamin' Demon stacked humbucker in the neck.

Try a Seymour Duncan Hot Rail or a Dimarzio Fast Track 2 in the bridge.

Both , the Hot Rail and Fast Track 2, split great with toggle switch and deliver great single coil tones when split.

Archived