Deleted for privacy and safety reasons

jjang1993

• Members

The amp adds say the stock speaker is a Midnight 60 12N-60 made specifically for that amp. Celestion doesn't even list its specs but I did find several references saying it was a well broken in V30.  The V30 is a 60W speaker so I'm inclined to believe that's what the amp uses. 

In order to know if an upgrade would be better or worse for you, you must first find its Frequency response chart. 

I found the V30 chart  and this is its frequency response graph. 

abc.JPG.e0fc2a4881d4d788cc3f8d1414b630d6.JPG

I also found the Legend 1258

ABd.JPG.0411c82b88778621db4570d23f381fa7.JPG

Its obvious to me the Celestion has a much flatter response curve compared to that legend.  The Legend has a Huge bump in the midrange and highs between 1 and 5Khz. 

Its bass output is actually stronger then over all.  The Celestion begins to roll off below 150Hz  The legend doesn't roll off till you're down to maybe 75Hz so its going to have more bass then the Celestion does.  The difference however is that large bump.  The Celestion only has a 5dB difference between its peak in the upper mids and its 120Hz bass tones. The Legend has a difference of 10dB between 120 vs 2.5KHz peak.  That's going to make the amp seem to be brighter and a bit louder. 

The big question however is will the amps EQ still work properly.  Too much or too little of anything may be bad.  If its mid control aligns with that peak - you may be turning the mids down quite a bit to get a flatter response for chords.  This might make the amp sound overly bassy compared to the stock speaker. 

I haven't heard that particular amp but I've a lifelong user of fender amps so I'm very familiar with their signature tone.  When people start sating a Fender is too bassy or they want more highs, its typically a sign they favor music the fender simply cant reproduce very well.  Even if you change the speaker, the head itself doesn't produce a Marshal or metal tone unless you use pedals for those tones.  Fender amps typically have good fidelity and are adaptable to just about any pedal out there.  My advice would either be to use a pedal for your tones or get a different amp.  Changing its speaker to that legend is likely going to open up another can of worms once you start dealing with that upper mid bump which is pretty large on that one. 

If you're looking for a classic fender tone then its hard to beat a Jensen Special design Ceramic speaker.  Fender built their tone stacks to match that speaker and it would give your amp the greatest flexibility.  The speaker does have a better high end frequency response compared to the Celestion too. It extends up to 6K which will give you more jangle on the top end.  The bass end is simply flexible.  When the bass is set at 5 it will sound balanced.  Trimming the bass back with the EQ should sound natural too. 

ab8.JPG.cfcbf161e2135c2bf310692e0a2c7cee.JPG

What the legend speaker attempts to do is make Non Fender amps sound more like a Fender. You really shouldn't need that because it is a Fender amp. 

That's my best advice based on my experience with many Fender amps.  The only thing that might sound better is a vintage Alnico Jensen, but alnico speakers have wattage limitations due to the magnets used.  Jensen highest wattage alnico is only 50W  which is a little low for that amp, and the price of them aren't cheap.  They do sound their best with tube amps.

You can compare other Frequency response charts like I have here.  It doesn't tell you everything but its the only tool you have besides trial and error. The decision is ultimately yours because The guitar type and playing style come into play too.  There's a huge difference between how single coil fenders vs full sized humbuckers sound through a fender amp. If your're using over wound humbuckers its far more likely the reason your bass tones are too fat. Changing the speaker isn't going to help a lot. 

The Jensen site lets you compare the response of several models here.  https://www.jensentone.com/frequency-response-comparison

• jjang1993 changed the title to Deleted for privacy and safety reasons

Archived