Godin Heaven

steve mac

• Members

Thinking of a new gigging guitar (currently use a PRS Hollowbody hybrid) and my eye is caught by a Godin A6 ultra which seems to tick all my boxes as a feedback resistant decent sounding acoustic with the option of a magnetic humbucker to use to solo over a loop.

truth be told never seen one in real life and it seems for the price (especially when compared to the Fender Acoustasonic) a bit too good to be true.

I can't try before I buy so looking for any opinions before I order one.

Steve 

• Moderators

I had tried an A6 [not the newer Ultra] when they were first available here [an acquaintance had bought one and asked me to try it out and give him an opinion]. IIRC, I told him to change the strings [they were the original strings, and IMHO, far too heavy on that guitar], and to only play it plugged in...the natural 'acoustic' sound is there, but weak due to the shallow body. But I will say the build quality was outstanding, and the guitar beat the pants off pretty much everything I had recently tried out even remotely in its class, including the Taylor T5 at twice the price. The PRS hybrid you use now was not on the market then, so I do not have any comparison for you there, though.  I will go out on a limb and guess the Ultra has made improvements...somewhere, but I can only begin to imagine where... I'm guessing the humbucker...

Are you having issues with the PRS, or are you just 'G.A.S.-ing' for a new toy?

I have been eyeballing the Godin Multiac nylon string models since my Goya classical vanished into the wilds of Iowa last year...I want to get my Earl Klugh on...

• Members

Whilst my PRS is purty it went dead on me, took it to dealer who brought it back to life somehow but I just don't trust it now. Plus it's a big birthday for me this year and she who must be obeyed asked if I wanted her to take me on a holiday or a new guitar... seriously does she even know me? 😁

I love the hybrids and can get Godin here but can't try it first and it does seem an amazing price, plus for what use they are YouTube has some demos that sound great.

thanks for the reply my friend 👍🏼

• Members

I have a Godin nylon (slim), I will never part with. It is my only nylon string. As I don't like the width of classical guitar necks. I love the sound of it and like the 13 pin midi capability. If the A6 is anywhere near as good, go for it. I was considering getting an A6 but the GAS passed.

• Members

Although I have never owned a Godin, I am a big fan, based on the three or four guitars I've tried, including their 5th Avenue, and Electric Nylon models. Judging by the link I'm referencing, my local store has an A6 in stock. I wouldn't mind trying it,  and reporting back. Are there any specific questions you might have, or specific tests to put it through?

Actually, I am thinking that I might know someone that gigs with one. Too bad I just saw this post, he was gigging tonight, maybe he was playing it. I'll investigate further.

https://www.long-mcquade.com/23631/Guitars/Electric-Guitars/Godin-Guitars/Electric-A6-Ultra-Guitar-w-Bag---Koa.htm

• Members

Shaster that Koa version looks a treat. 

I will be using it with two leads so what I would like to know is how does the acoustic side of things sound directly into a powered speaker. Is it a creditable "acoustic" sound? I will be putting it through a TC Helicon Playacoustic so if it sounds great directly into a speaker it will only sound better after.  Can it cope with enthusiastic strumming as well as some finger picking? Is the battery easy to change, I read somewhere on older models it was tricky.

Can the humbucker take effects well? I will be sending this through an amp/IR sim that will add some reverb and grit for soloing. 

Would losing the wound third be hugely detrimental to the sound? 

Does it have a decent percussive sound i.e. Thumping the body to get a kick drum effect 

Essentially could you see it performing well for a solo act doing pop covers in a bar setting using a looper.

Godin have another model called an Acoustacaster 40th anniversary which is even more Tele like and to be honest I prefer the looks but it's considerably more expensive and I am not sure from the few YouTube videos of if it would be up to the job, especially the mini humbucker. So if the store has one for comparison that would be fantastic.

any and all advice gratefully received - Steve 

• Members
On 2/25/2020 at 9:37 AM, daddymack said:

I will say the build quality was outstanding, and the guitar beat the pants off pretty much everything I had recently tried out even remotely in its class, including the Taylor T5 at twice the price.

I haven't tried a Godin yet although I know a guy who has one. I can attest to the T5, I bought one at Sweetwater Gearfest and it's a great gig guitar but way over priced for what you get even with the $500 off I got it for at that event.

I just had a listen to the demo video over on Sweetwater, and I didn't really care all that much for the "acoustic" sound of the Godin. It's got a bit too much of that piezo quack that is so typical of most under-saddle pickups IMO, but I'm really picky about that, and it doesn't seem to bother a lot of people nearly as much as it does me. And to be fair, the Godin's electric tone seems fine when used alone, and it does help balance out the under-saddle pickup's tone a bit when it's blended in with that too. 

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/A6Ultra6NAT--godin-a6-ultra-natural-semi-gloss?

It is a very pretty looking guitar, and I don't know of anything that offers the combination of features that it does at anywhere near that price tag. As daddymack said, the Taylor T5 is a lot more expensive, and the Fender Acoustasonics, while sounding better than the Godin IMO, are still twice as expensive. 

• Members

I am hoping by running the acoustic side of things thru TC Helicon's BodyRez, I will be able to mold the sound to my liking and as for the magnetic side of things I plan on running that thru my Atomic amp simulator as I currently do on my PRS to good effect. 

Oh to be able to have both the Godin and the Fender for half an hour side by side to decide. At the end of the day the split output on the Godin and the vast price difference may decide for me. 🤷🏽‍♂️

• Moderators

Another possible option, [although probably not due to location] would be a Carvin [or now Kiesel] AE185.  They build them in Escondido [san Diego] CA. They run about $1700[uS] new, and you can 'custom order' finishes. Used models typically go around $1200 [uS]. Two humbuckers plus a UST...

• Members

I have a Carvin AC-375 thin line acoustic with a Koa top. Great little guitar. Best couch guitar around. Plays almost like an electric. With a BodyRez its got a great stage sound and is resistant to feedback.

It cost me almost 2 grand though. I had a lot of options!

• Members

It may depend on how truly acoustic you want to be, I doubt that anything will fully nail that acoustic tone like a dreadnought style guitar. At first when I began doing the duo thing with my wife at jams and open mics I was using my Takamine EF341SC which is a truly popular acoustic/electric instrument, for a while you couldn't turn on the TV without seeing one in the hands of Bon Jovi, Bruce Springsteen, Toby Keith, etc.. but with my wife holding down the rhythm on our radio friendly pop/rock hits set list I felt I needed something that was easier to play for leads and the upper register chord inversions and such that I like to do which is why I sought out the T5.

Now a year later I take the T5 for a more acoustic feel but also my Telecaster because a lot of our songs don't necessarily require acoustic guitar sound. For simplicity I still run my instruments (which includes a Korg Krome 61) through my old Roland keyboard amp but use the little Sansamp FlyRig 5 for a little better electric guitar tone.

• Members

Hi Steve, I hope to get to the store this Saturday or Sunday. I'll take your questions along and see what I can find out. I am possibly looking for something like the Godin myself, so I'm hoping to get some answers. I'll get back, once I do a test drive.

• Members

Just got to L&M today. So my thoughts. I liked the weight, quite light. The factory action and intonation were good. The neck was a little clunky, reminded me of an old Gibson acoustic a friend of mine used to have. The strings were too heavy for me to feel like I was playing electric, but worked stylistically for acoustic. I played a Mississippi John Hurt song (The Candyman) plus a few other finger picking and classical tunes. It seemed fine for that stuff but I felt like the strings were very close together. If one likes them close, then it's not a problem. The acoustic sound was okay, not as good as an Ovation IMHO - and people complain about those guitars. The electric sound.... I dunno. Maybe in a solo setting it would be just fine, but it would never be an Ibanez AS200 or a good Strat, Les Paul....  

I did not try the guitar through a PA monitor but rather a Dr. Z amp (great amps). The only effect I used was an envelope filter (I was thinking of buying one, got a mini wah instead).

As I've stated in the past, I would probably rather get a dual Mono bag and carry two guitars, but I understand the need to switch to an electric sound for solos. I had issues with the neck, string spacing and the lack of tonal variance, but others might find those things pros not cons. It was odd though; the young due that set me up in the demo booth basically tried to steer me away from the guitar. He said it was a great couch guitar but he would never buy it. But it's a big world, and we all need guitars for different reasons.  I did enjoy playing the guitar, and maybe that's the most important thing. There were a lot of knobs to play with, and there very well might be some sweet spots that I didn't get to.

I would be happy to talk to one of the managers I know (very talented guitar player) or ask my buddy who I think has one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I've never played a Godin guitar but they have a great reputation. So I haven't and still haven't read all the posts in this thread.

But I wanted to acknowledge I just got the God In Heaven pun. Sometimes if the joke takes a long time to click, it's better. This is one of those cases. Thanks. 😁

Now .......... back to your regularly scheduled discussion.

Notes

• Members

I had a Godin A-6 ultra. It served it's purpose. I was never in love with it as I felt it was very expressionless.  I purchased it as a second to my #1 performer, a Rick Turner Renaissance RS-6. Ultimately, I sold the Godin and purchased a second Turner.  I play solo acoustic, and THIS guitar (in my opinion of course) checks ALL the boxes. I found good deals, but the new one on your left retails for $2700. The one on your right has been with me to all the, from boats to beaches from lakes to oceans and every type of pub in between. 

turners.jpg

turners.jpg.027dd61b28829004e52039f81314e572.jpg

• Members
2 hours ago, steve mac said:

Thanks for the input but at more than 3x the price and nigh on impossible for me to source here plus they don't have the required magnetic pickup. These beautiful guitars will have to remain strangers to me 

The Turner DEUCE does...   same guitar with a humbucker.. lol    I understand what your saying about price.   I would suggest looking at them used.. My first one was -- and I have been using the better part of 12 years and it was 10 years old when I bought it. The Godin served a purpose -- but I could never get it to 'emote'  as I wanted it to. 

• Moderators
6 hours ago, FUBTAG said:

The Turner DEUCE does...   same guitar with a humbucker.. lol    I understand what your saying about price.   I would suggest looking at them used.. My first one was -- and I have been using the better part of 12 years and it was 10 years old when I bought it. The Godin served a purpose -- but I could never get it to 'emote'  as I wanted it to. 

Rick Turner Deuce...Reverb? eBay? does not look like a match except the Michael Kelly model...but no mag p-up...bummer.

• Members
9 hours ago, daddymack said:

Rick Turner Deuce...Reverb? eBay? does not look like a match except the Michael Kelly model...but no mag p-up...bummer.

https://reverb.com/item/11200683-rick-turner-renaissance-rs-6-deuce-flame-maple-sunburst-074  Not my listing..   but this is the guitar I am referring to.  Price point is up there...   

The Michael Kelly was made in conjuntion with Turner guitars. It doesnt have the same electronics nor can I confirm it they are routed/chambered the same. But if you're handy you can add this  - https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/dtar-wave-length-undersaddle-pickup-and-preamp 

• Members

Last summer I borrowed a Tom Anderson Crowdster plus to perform at a gig in New Jersey and if I was spending "big bucks" on a hybrid then this would be the one it had tone for dayz. But I couldn't justify it for a regular gigging guitar. 

Archived