VOM1T February 2020

garthman

• Members

It's VOM time again folks - and for newcomers that is "Virtual Open Mic 1 Take" - so let's hear some music.

The "Broadside" - a single sheet of paper printed on one side containing news, political comment and (usually) an original poem or ballad that sold for a penny - was a popular item in Britain from the 16th to the 19th century. They were probably the source of very many of our traditional folk songs. A popular theme was a tale of a man who goes on a long journey (as many people did in those days) and returns years later to test his old sweetheart. This is one of them:

John Riley (trad.)   1st take

https://app.box.com/s/uupkuxs46tag9l1zrblkz4fgoajw4s8k

John Riley (trad.)  2nd take

https://app.box.com/s/hf8s4xtkgbjidlsccv65bboa5br24am1

The sounding key of both takes is Cm / Eb. The 1st take is played on my Ovation guitar strung with high tension nylon strings capoed on the 3 fret using Am family chords. The vocal was recorded with a dynamic mic and the mic and guitar were recorded simultaneously (one take only) on separate tracks via an Mbox - then both tracks were just mixed together. The 2nd take was recorded with a single condenser mic positioned approx 18 inch in front of me and I was playing my Walden classical with standard tension strings tuned two semitones down to standard D playing Dm family chords.

• Members
5 hours ago, Gibson29 said:

That sounds pretty dang good, especially with a 35 quid guitar!😃

Why thank you kindly, sir. But I wasn't playing that old guitar. The first take was on an Ovation (alike) that cost me £65 used and the second take was on a Walden that cost me £45 used (and damaged - broken tuner button - fixed with epoxy resin). So no expense spared for the sake of one's art, eh? 😉

• Members

And now for something completely different. A lady at church asked me if I ever take existing lyrics, poetry, etc. and put them to music. I told her I'd done it before and she said she had written some lyrics and would I take a look at them? I told her yes, and last Sunday she gave them to me. This is the result, an original communion hymn titled "Bring Me to Your Table."

• Members
1 minute ago, DeepEnd said:

catscurlyear - Hard to go wrong with the Beatles and you clearly put your own stamp on it. The vocal was interesting, it sounded a bit like you were singing harmony with nobody singing melody.

Hi Deepend ,yes i was doing an harmony ,my voice can`t get that high to do the proper melody , the guitar was doing the main melody.

• Members

catscurlyear, thanks. She called me yesterday evening and said she liked it very much. I was glad to hear she was pleased. I'd like to see if our church's Music Director and Choir Director would consider letting the choir sing it some time. I guess we'll see.

Archived