2 amp setup

mbengs1

• Members

I tried using a two amp setup and was a success. I used my Joyo ab box and used my marshall combo with a chorus in the loop (and reverb on about 6) and the bugera 6262 has a delay in the loop, phaser in front of it. Switching between clean and dirty is easiest. 

1 hour ago, daddymack said:

ah, the joys of an AB-Y...

Absolutely - and I’m a big fan of running two amps in stereo, although it is generally best to get an ABY switch with a transformer in it in order to avoid ground loop hum when using two amps simultaneously. You can also get a separate transformer and run it on one side of the ABY. I use a GigRig Humdinger, which works great! 

• Members

This is the setup I'd use if I had to do a gig with my stuff. I never thought of this since the amps have their own clean and overdrive channels. but I got the best of both worlds. All I need is a lead tone with lots of sustain and a shimmery clean channel. I found using a 2x12 cabinet with the marshall combo is very different than using the speakers in the combo. I tried both scenarios and the speakers in the combo sounded louder but the 2x12 closed back cabinet had more back drop. I think they're the same volume but I don't know. would there be a volume drop when I switch the load to the 2x12 cab instead of using the speakers in the amp ?

• Members

i'm running stereo with two amps now for a couple of years, love the setup and the sound, have a lehle box in between to one amp to avoid ground loop hum. but its so much stuff together with my pedalboard to lug around

so i'm tempted to go the other direction in downsizing my setup and going digital with amp modelling

the new Mooer GE250 looks promising, from the features on paper it might have everything i need and much more, besides that the stereo channels can not use different amp modells at the same time, but i guess i could live with it...

• Moderators

I've been using an AB-Y for decades for large stages, mainly outdoors, and mainly for the ability to monitor [one amp is typically mic'ed, the other not] my guitar as I move around the stage.  This actually helps me keep my stage volume at the right level, rather that turning up as I moved further from the amp. It also allows me to not have the guitar in the monitors, so only the vocals are in the monitors, which gives us a much 'cleaner' on-stage mix.

• Members

I've been inspired by Johnny A lately and the stereo sound that he gets both live and on his recordings.

I have a Yamaha DG80 (digital guitar amp from the turn of the century) with some basic built in effects. It has 128 MIDI selectable memory locations that store all amplifier and effects settings. A friend of mine has another DG80 and I'm interested in running my guitar into both amps and controlling them simultaneously with the same MIDI Foot Controller.

I think the possibilities would be nearly endless.

• Members

I've run multiple amps since the 70's playing live.  I'd often run matching Fender heads playing larger shows. 

I got into running them in stereo mostly for recording (actually pseudo stereo given the pickups are mono)  Last time I used two amps live was playing in a 3 piece where the other guitarist and I would switch from playing lead to bass.  I had to guitar amps and two bass amps setup and had the inputs wired so we could simply pickup a bass on either side of the stage and switch inputs with a pedal.  Same for our guitar pedal boards.  Saved having us switch sides of the stage plus having a guitar and bass cab on each side made it wasy to hear both instruments when playing. 

Beyond that I gave up hauling two amps to gigs.  First, its allot of extra work and its not like you're being paid double to haul it.  Second, stereo effects really cant be heard by the audience on stage amps unless they are right in front of the stage.  If you're going to haul more gear, bring enough PA gear and monitors then mic the amp.  You can then run stereo effects through the mixer and use stereo effects the audience can actually hear.  The spread between two PA cabs up high with horns is much better then stage cabs.  Of course you can do whatever you like if it inspires you to play well. 

For recording I practically always use two amps.  Not only for the differences in tone but for running pseudo stereo effects like Chorus, Echo and reverb.  It opens things up for wider sound and can fill things in. 

Here's one combination I use a lot.  The Marshall cab has 75W Celestion Cream backs and the  smaller can has 10" Jensen Alnico speakers.  I'm able to record British and American tone at the same time. 

A02.jpg.fdef8a734c5e13120a6ba035e55cec7e.jpg

I use two amps for my guest rig too.  Here I have a 1976 200W Sunn Concert lead head on a Peavey 4X12 and a 100W Fender M80 head I mounted in a 4X12 cab.

I have several other heads and cabs including smaller amps too so I can get quite a bit of variety.  Many for small jams I'll simply bring my two 15W Marshall amps and use a stereo multi effects pedal with them.   

A01.thumb.jpg.864736879e9de064bdbd8d6011d9e243.jpg

Archived