New Pick Day

DeepEnd

• Members

I lost a couple of picks recently so yesterday I used that as an excuse to visit Music Folk, a local resource for acoustic guitarists. After drooling over assorted Martin, Taylor, Guild, Larrivée, Huss & Dalton, etc. I got down to business. I've used Dava Control Picks for some time in addition to Dunlop Nylon but I've always wished they were thinner or at least more flexible. A box of Dava Grip Picks caught my eye and after bending a few I settled on yellow nylon (Delrin and Poly Gel are also available).

Grip.jpg.e80bbc1ec73bfa42e3ab3eb96a4456dd.jpg

The tip is fairly heavy but the body of the pick is very flexible. So far just noodling on the couch I'm liking them. I'll use one in worship tomorrow and see if they're all they're cracked up to be.

• Members

Yea, I can see how they'd catch your eye. When I was attempting to learn flat picking I found the best tone from 60mm but best playability from very thin picks. That one looks to be incorporating both. I'm going to Music & Arts tomorrow to pick up some violin strings so I'll see if they have some. Worth a try.

• Members

Well, bummer. ☹️ They might work okay on acoustic but I usually play electric in worship these days. Both guitars are strung with similar gauges, 11-52 on acoustic vs 10-52 on electric, so I'd think playing would be similar but not quite. The pick felt too thick/heavy on electric during rehearsal no matter how flexible it was and I switched to a Dunlop .60mm nylon. I haven't given up completely but I'm definitely disappointed.

• Members

Music & Arts didn't have any. Too bad they didn't work out. Like Grant, I tend to switch corners when appropriate from the pointy corner to one of the more rounded corners. That's pretty much on Neil Young stuff. But, 60mm is the pick I've decided works best for me. I haven't touched an electric for 12 years.

• Members

I like these- more control.  If you gotta dig in, its there, if you gotta play soft, you just adapt.  I have a buddy that was using really light picks, he’s a strummer, and I gave him one like these, Wegen.  Over the years he’s really got better, and he STILL uses that Wegen I gave him.  What is really weird is that he hasn’t lost it.  Serious, same pick and it’s been like 5-7 years.  They last though.  

image.thumb.jpeg.3605cba78cea8c79049d933b04d7f8c7.jpeg

• Members

Wegens have a pretty good reputation among flat pickers. I'm a hack with picks, though, and keep them forever because they just don't get the practice time lying safely in a box. Guess I'll have to bring back my Neil Young inspiration.

• Members
17 hours ago, Idunno said:

Wegens have a pretty good reputation among flat pickers. I'm a hack with picks, though, and keep them forever because they just don't get the practice time lying safely in a box. Guess I'll have to bring back my Neil Young inspiration.

I even strum Neil Young songs with my thumbnail . . ..  when I'm not finger picking them.

• Members

If you ever have a ton of coin to toss at a pick. Blue Chip.

You'll never look back. 

I have one and it's all that and bag of chips.

I will order another and get my name etched into it this time. Other that I use fender meds and heavy 351's.

• Members
On 2/12/2020 at 8:25 AM, Mikeo said:

If you ever have a ton of coin to toss at a pick. Blue Chip.

You'll never look back. 

I have one and it's all that and bag of chips.

I will order another and get my name etched into it this time. Other that I use fender meds and heavy 351's.

What do the letters stand for?  TD, TP, etc.. the “40” would be 1mm, but those letters.  I’m sorely tempted.

• Members

For the past two years I have been on a quest for the perfect pick. The one that both strums and picks awesome. I don't think it is out there! There seem to be drawbacks to all of them, maybe better technique and practice helps to even out any shortcomings because of thickness, material and shape. I have acoustics with light to medium gauge strings. Here is my take on a variety of picks I have tried and still have!

The blue triangle in the center is a Dunlop Tortex 1.0mm with Jim's Picks sandpaper grips - I find this one the most versatile and most pleasing sound to my ear.

To the left are John Pearse Fast Turtles - I like the thin one but the material is very soft and produces an almost muffled tone. I can see where it could be applicable though.

Above and then to the right are two Wegen Picks - TF-100 and a Bluegrass 1.4. Above 1.0mm is a struggle for me to strum, I like the 1.0 triangle and the sound they yield is almost "ceramic like", different than the tortex.

The black triangle is of an unknown maker, most likely nylon and approximately a medium gauge. I like this one too but it doesn't pick as well as the Tortex or the Wegens. The sound is a little brighter than the Tortex.

Dunlop Primetone - 1.3 triangle and standard shape .73 and .88 - Of the three I like the .88 most. They are well made and produce nice sound. The material makes a little more pick click than the Tortex.

Dava Multi Gauge gel and nylon - I like both of these and use the nylon as a second to the Dunlop Tortex, I think I would like it even more if it were just a tad bit stiffer for better individual notes. They strum great and the tone is good as well.

Someday I will try one of the higher end picks like Blue Chip and the like. Have been looking at the Charmed Life site and on the fence of ordering one. Until then I will work with the Dunlop Tortex with the Dava and triangle Wegen as my top three!

Cheers!

Picks resize 1.jpg

700621514_Picksresize1.jpg.9074a380fdcaa4436f9f84b95edc8f1e.jpg

• Members

To me no such thing as a perfect pick. What might sound good with one guitar/string/amp combo might not cut it with another. I have one of those keychain pick holders, cram about 8-9 in there. Something usually works. I am a bit partial to Snark picks as a starting point, for what that's worth (not much)

Archived