SP2 vs. S115V

• Members

I have a 3 piece classic rock band and am looking for some affordable speakers to run vocals and a touch of guitar and drums (kick and 2 overheads). For mains I'm looking at new Yamaha S115V's or Peavey SP2's and will probably add subs soon. Any comments/suggestions? I've played thru the Yamaha's in the past and they're really nice sounding....according to the specs the Peaveys will take more power but is it useable? Thanks in advance for any comments (this question's probably been asked a million times).

• Members

FWIW, I owned the S115Vs and they sounded good to me, but they're heavy, and when it came time to sell I had trouble (shipping cost was astronomical).

Ended up selling for $300/pair in excellent condition. If you can be on the receiving end of that deal, they're something to consider...

If you take the advice here and go with 12", my comments are probably moot...

I currently run 12" over subs (powered), and things are good.

• CMS Author

The Peavey Impulse 1012 uses the SP series drivers and crossovers and is nice and light at 42 lbs
:love:

And I see it's back on their web pages! I didn't mention the 1012 because I thought it was discontinued. Maybe it was. It wasn't on their site last time I looked:rolleyes:

• Members

It really takes a pair of 2x18 subs to keep up with the full output of a pair of Impulse 1012's. If your rooms are under 250 people you can use 1x18 subs powered at 500w (RMX2450 in stereo) and just run 300w into each top (RMX1450 in stereo). I've done that and it balances out about right. At that point I'd recommend the powered PR12D's over the passive 1012's and maybe the Peavey PV118D powered subs.

• CMS Author

I'm pretty sure you go from a cast frame 15 to a stamped frame 12 on the Yamaha Club Series.I would rather have a cast frame than a stamped frame in a brand new box.

Not so. The drivers are cast aluminum frame Eminence OEM's. Kapton VC formers, strontium ferrite magnets, titanium tweeter domes, etc. They're good drivers.

The box is the weak point.....particle board.

• Members

Cast frame versus stamped frame is really not a performance factor (well there is some minor degredation due to interaction of the steel frame but not much) but more a structural factor in speakers with heavier magnets or deep baskets. It's also a marketing issue.

It used to be a very important feature in speakers like the older JBL ALNICO's where the machined magnetic gap have very tight tolerances.

Archived