Sign in to follow this  
Mooncat84

Purple Haze by Jimi Hendrix - An all time classic riff from the master!

First time I heard that riff I was sitting in my friend's two tone (yellow and white) 55 Chev convertible in parking spot of Plaid Pantry. We were there to get Cokes to go with burgers on way over to mom's house to watch Jeopardy lunch time '67. That's how much it burned into my consciousness, such as it was as a high school student. "This changes everything" Voodoo Child slight return does get my vote most often for most awesome...

On 2/7/2020 at 11:09 PM, Emory said:

First time I heard that riff I was sitting in my friend's two tone (yellow and white) 55 Chev convertible in parking spot of Plaid Pantry. We were there to get Cokes to go with burgers on way over to mom's house to watch Jeopardy lunch time '67. That's how much it burned into my consciousness, such as it was as a high school student. "This changes everything" Voodoo Child slight return does get my vote most often for most awesome...

That's actually a great memory! I can picture the car lol.

don`t know ,it`s one of those questions always asked .I do know that the amount of recordings ,live recordings and live footage  is quite staggering to say he was only around for 3 years,the poor guy must have never slept  .i know a lot of the same songs were played but they are always very different and you can always find some diamonds in there and he never ceases to amaze me,  ,you mentioned three styles rock ,jazz and blues i think you can also throw funk  and soul in there .variety is the spice of life .

On 2/18/2020 at 1:52 PM, Warhorse said:

Do you guys think Jimi would still be a rocker or would he have went into jazz or traditional blues?

He seemed to be getting into funk right before he died so maybe he'd have went further down that direction. Could almost see him being an acoustic kind of singer/songwriter by this point if he was still around! He was super experimental though, like Bowie in that regard, so I'm sure his career would have taken many interesting twists and turns through multiple genres!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mooncat84 said:

He seemed to be getting into funk right before he died so maybe he'd have went further down that direction. Could almost see him being an acoustic kind of singer/songwriter by this point if he was still around! He was super experimental though, like Bowie in that regard, so I'm sure his career would have taken many interesting twists and turns through multiple genres!

Yep, I think you're right!

3 minutes ago, Mooncat84 said:

I agree - I'm pretty sure he would have gone in more of a funk direction had he lived, and maybe into jazzier realms at some point too, although the funk was definitely calling to him more strongly IMO than jazz was. 

As far as going the singer-songwriter route? I dunno... if he had lived and gone in that direction, I really couldn't see him doing so at the expense of his guitar playing, so I think if that had happened, he would have been a James Taylor or Paul Simon on steroids - IOW, a singer-songwriter who was known for having exceptional guitar chops. He was a pretty decent songwriter IMO but not an exceptional one, and a serviceable vocalist at best - the two things that I think he truly excelled at was playing guitar and showmanship - neither of which are particularly important traits for success as a singer-songwriter, at least not compared to vocal ability and strong songwriting chops. 

22 hours ago, Phil O'Keefe said:

I agree - I'm pretty sure he would have gone in more of a funk direction had he lived, and maybe into jazzier realms at some point too, although the funk was definitely calling to him more strongly IMO than jazz was. 

As far as going the singer-songwriter route? I dunno... if he had lived and gone in that direction, I really couldn't see him doing so at the expense of his guitar playing, so I think if that had happened, he would have been a James Taylor or Paul Simon on steroids - IOW, a singer-songwriter who was known for having exceptional guitar chops. He was a pretty decent songwriter IMO but not an exceptional one, and a serviceable vocalist at best - the two things that I think he truly excelled at was playing guitar and showmanship - neither of which are particularly important traits for success as a singer-songwriter, at least not compared to vocal ability and strong songwriting chops. 

I'm surprised you don't think he's an exceptional songwriter; for me that's his biggest strength! He was someone who checked just about every box there was - musicianship, songwriting, performance, even look. The only person I can think of with comparable talent is Prince. I concede he's not a super strong vocalist, but the delivery and charisma of his vocals, as well his warm tone, makes me like his voice way better than most accomplished singers. 

The singer-songwriter thing was just a stab in the dark as to what a guitarist his age today might be doing. I agree that it would still have included excellent guitar playing. Blackmore and Knopfler both went acoustic in old age lol. 

9 minutes ago, Mooncat84 said:

The only person I can think of with comparable talent is Prince.

I think Prince was an exceptionally talented person too - in multiple areas. He was certainly no slouch as a guitarist, although he was not as innovative as Jimi was IMO. Both had loads of style, but IMO Prince was probably the better songwriter, and definitely the better singer. Also, as far as I know, Jimi wasn't anywhere near being the kind of multi-instrumentalist that Prince was; remember, Prince was known for playing all of the instruments on many of his recordings.