Mark Knopfler on guitars

Phil O'Keefe

• Members
3 hours ago, daddymack said:

there are a handful of guitarists that when I see or hear them play, make me wonder why I bother...Atkins, Knopfler, Albert Lee, Tommy Emmanuel, Adrian Legg, Johnny Hiland and Jerry Reed...

I know what you mean... My rationale is "Well, they're not here and I am. Ya gotta take what's on the menu." And I play for my own mental health.... outcomes are sketchy... oh, and add Ry Cooder to the list.

I play in the studio a lot more than I play live, but I still enjoy playing live when the occasional opportunity to do so with the right people arises. Still, there is a LOT to be said for playing for your “own mental health” and for your own enjoyment. I know I enjoy the day a lot more if I can pick up and play a guitar for a bit, and I feel like something’s missing when I can’t.

• Members
17 hours ago, Phil O'Keefe said:

I play in the studio a lot more than I play live, but I still enjoy playing live when the occasional opportunity to do so with the right people arises. Still, there is a LOT to be said for playing for your “own mental health” and for your own enjoyment. I know I enjoy the day a lot more if I can pick up and play a guitar for a bit, and I feel like something’s missing when I can’t.

I quit playing guitar back around 79... probably needed amp being tuned up.. or? In 1999 I was out on stress leave (seriously). Had an old classical in basement, dug it out and played some. Seems to have been the only sort of thinking I could do that didn't hurt my head... been hitting bad notes ever since. I like playing with friends if they show up at beach. If they don't, that's fine too. Good way to meet people, too. Dude with guitar seems approachable compared to just being bump on a wall.

• Members
On 2/5/2020 at 5:44 PM, daddymack said:

there are a handful of guitarists that when I see or hear them play, make me wonder why I bother...Atkins, Knopfler, Albert Lee, Tommy Emmanuel, Adrian Legg, Johnny Hiland and Jerry Reed...

not meaning to derail the thread but you did mention Tommy Emmanuel ...

Joscho Stephan is pretty good too

Archived