Substitution: add4 vs. sus4

• Members

A song the praise band is learning has an A(4)/C# but I'm tempted to just play an Asus4 and let the bass supply the C#. Beyond not having a C# anywhere in the chord on guitar, is there any particular reason it won't work or why I shouldn't do it? Thanks in advance.

• Moderators

C# is the 3rd of the A major chord, so playing the 3rd against the 4 is going to create dissonance.

Is this a passing chord, where the bassline is 'walking' through?

I agree, I would leave the 3rd to the bassist and just play an Asus4, or be really cheeky and play a D2 and only strum the gbe strings:wave:

3rd 3rd 3rd

3rd is the word...

• Members
42 minutes ago, daddymack said:

. . . Is this a passing chord, where the bassline is 'walking' through? . . .

Oddly enough, no. The progression for the first verse is:

D G/B A(4) D G/B A(4)/C# Gmaj7 Asus4 D then there's a G/B A(4)/C# between verses.

The (4) chord would have both the third and fourth and not necessarily in the bass depending on what inversion you might play. I agree that it's going to sound awful (IMHO, at least) if I play it as written. It may not sound much better even if the bass plays the C#.

• Members

i just plunked out A +4 with c# in the bass on p-anna; sucked. The c# works very well up top in various spots. The quality in bass would depend on the bass leading as well. The b previous to c# renders it passable. Play the c# except where the bass has it.