Craig Vecchione ?

• Members

I know its sad. Every time I stop by here I wonder if the site will still be up. I've been on here when there was 50 to 100 members online here at a time. I first signed on here around 2002 so it is sad to see it falling off. I'm guessing the "facebook'" type sites have pretty much taken over for questions and fast replies. Too many User of brand X type sites to compete with a general site. After close to 18 years here again its sad to see the traffic now. 

Doug

• Members

It is sad. I had written a message to the forum's ownership group about 6 or 7 years ago during the software disaster and they said they were working on it. Clearly, they screwed the proverbial pooch. It was one of the best forums around, good activity and good members. These days it's a ghost town. Craig is a good dude, gave it a solid try all along.

The user reviews haven't been maintained, and most were lost during the change over to the new software. That section also had value, but not when it's 7 or 8 years out of data.

What a freekin' waste, i am surprised that they (current owners, whoever that might be) even bother.

• Members
6 hours ago, agedhorse said:

It is sad. I had written a message to the forum's ownership group about 6 or 7 years ago during the software disaster and they said they were working on it. Clearly, they screwed the proverbial pooch. It was one of the best forums around, good activity and good members. These days it's a ghost town. Craig is a good dude, gave it a solid try all along.

The user reviews haven't been maintained, and most were lost during the change over to the new software. That section also had value, but not when it's 7 or 8 years out of data.

What a freekin' waste, i am surprised that they (current owners, whoever that might be) even bother.

I agree. I just hope if after awhile they can't keep it going they let us know in advance so we can post are last post and ride off into the sunset. I have been on older chat groups that I went to one day are they were simply gone. I've been making a few post and answering a few questions for 18 or so years here. It would be nice to give the "Hey guys, best of luck!" post at the end.

On 1/31/2020 at 9:29 PM, agedhorse said:

FWIW, while some were thought to have been lost in one of the software switch overs, all were found and restored thanks to Chris Loeffler, and new ones are being added regularly.

Previous owners have made some mistakes - a couple of the software switchovers were poorly executed, and a couple of the software platforms were not up to the demands of such a data-rich site. The good news is that the latest site switchover went great, and the current software is easy to use and works very well. 

On 1/27/2020 at 8:14 PM, RoadRanger said:

"Last visitedMarch 12, 2019" - Over 10 months ago, anybody know what happened to him?

His most recent post on Facebook was just a couple of days prior to you starting this thread. I just dropped him a message over there, along with a link to this thread to let him know people were asking about him here and letting him know we all wish him well. 

• CMS Author

Hey guys...

Yeah, I did kinda just wander off. Traffic was down so much that the Poli forum had more posts than Guitars. I was seeing a full week of threads on page one here. So one day I just stopped. Nobody seemed to notice, as this was over three years ago. I poked my head in now and then, as some of you mentioned above, to see if the place was still around. 

I appreciate all your kind words. This forum was a part of my life for a number of years, and you guys made it enjoyable. I hope you're all doing well. 

Dinner's on...I'll check back.

Craig

• Members
On 2/6/2020 at 4:27 AM, Phil O'Keefe said:

FWIW, while some were thought to have been lost in one of the software switch overs, all were found and restored thanks to Chris Loeffler, and new ones are being added regularly.

Previous owners have made some mistakes - a couple of the software switchovers were poorly executed, and a couple of the software platforms were not up to the demands of such a data-rich site. The good news is that the latest site switchover went great, and the current software is easy to use and works very well. 

I see that they have in fact returned. There was a lot of value in this section for those of us who used it to research what players liked and didn't like about one manufacturer's approach versus another's. It also helped players gain some "second hand" experience with products that may not be available locally, and especially for those that have been discontinued. Thank you, I can now add this back to my R&D list.

Who owns HC now? I haven't been able to determine this from my research.

3 minutes ago, agedhorse said:

Who owns HC now? I haven't been able to determine this from my research.

Gibson Brands has owned Harmony Central since acquiring it from Guitar Center / Musician's Friend in April 2015. As with GC/MF, our instructions from Gibson have been to continue to run HC as an editorially-neutral site. Our orders have not changed regarding that, despite the change in Gibson's senior management in November 2018

• Members

I too spend a lot more time over on TalkBass than here since I've admitted to myself that bands and venues on the lower end prefer deaf soundguys to me LOL. Unfortunately I've been using earplugs since 1980 and just can't mix for the icepick highs that the bands and their deaf groupies demand.

Anyways I'm sorta in 6 bands I think (I lose count LOL) and usually run sound for most of them. One of the newest is a couple guys that have a bunch of decent songs they want to record, me, and the drummer from one of my 3 main bands. That's what I just picked up a Zoom L-20 for. Wish there was a forum for cheaparse recording here LOL. Phil's forum is pretty dead so maybe I'll hang out there a bit. OTOH there's a couple forums out there for folks modding $16 mics into Neumans and such 😮. My latest WTF purchase https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CDW5QB6

Now I just have to figure out what free plug-ins I've acquired over the years and what I've done with them. Oh, and I have a couple $200 MXL mics somewhere as well as some EV PL84 handheld condensers that might be good for somethin'...

Well, put off loading up for tonight's gig long enough. PA will be a couple RCF 310A over a single Behringer 12 active with a couple Behringer B108D for monitors and a tiny Yamaha analog mixer. Just a small place with a trio - I'll be ampless and we only mic the kick. Guitarist/Keyboardist plays both through his Fender tube amp. Still using EV N/D767a mics.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Just sticking my head in to say hello. I cut my teeth here starting back in 2001. It's a darn shame how things ended... and it ended years ago, at least for this sub-forum. Unfortunately, there's just no reason, other than nostalgia, to stop by. There are other forum communities out there, but they've never felt the same and I don't spend nearly as much time on them as I used to here back in the good ol' days.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Hey guys,,,, it's been a while,,,, glad to see some familiar "faces". Looks like this place needs a lil' shakeup and re-energizing. 😄 Who's gonna start the ball rolling?

I guess my last post here, was probably around seven or eight years ago. I certainly had a great time here, and it goes without saying that I also got some terrific advice from Andy, and ALL the gang. As for Craig,,,, he's the BEST moderator on ANY forum,,,,, Period.

Although I rarely drop by any more, I'm thankful for the great times we did share when this place was in its' heyday. R.R., Andy, DookieTwo, Abzurd, Al Poulin, Mogwix, Craig, Don Boomer,,,and so many more,,,,,, I hope all you guys are well and staying safe.

While I'm at it. let's raise a glass for John Prine, ,,,,one of the most incredible and prolific songwriters of our time. R.I.P. John.... your music lives on.

Cheers,

Bob (Bobby1note)

• Members

Hey Bob - Good to hear from you!

Oh the irony! I got an email alert that someone replied to this thread. That only took a decade, give or take a few years, to figure out! If that functionality stayed intact there would still be a community here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I went into hibernation mode some years ago. Dissolved the sound company due to age. Moving enough gear to do the gigs I was getting got to be too much for me. Sold it all off and stopped while I had a 12 year old son home schooling. Well, he is 17 now and in public school. I retired and have a lot of time on my hands. Started playing guitar again, learning keys, and put a band together. Put together a decent but small system just for our use. No renting out any more. Its nothing fancy or glamorous. Mostly old school. I have really enjoyed getting back into wiring racks, configuring all the infrastructure. Been out of the loop but as much as things change, they stay the same. Will probably start coming by here more often. Glad to see familiar faces on the thread, and I DID notice that Bobbyonenote left me off the list so I wasn't missed. This place COULD be good again if we started being regulars again. There will always be a need for what we do. Musos can buy the gear easily now, but they still have to learn how to make it sound good.

• Members

Looks like I will be winding down what's left of the sound company after 42 years, all my summer gigs are effectively canceled and it''s stopped being fun. I still have my design and fabrication work, that may evolve to more than what it is currently if the world ever comes back  to normal.

• Members

Andy, 42 years is long enough to do anything, except breath. I don't think you will ever get out of the game totally. It gets in your blood. I thought I was done, but then again I didn't do 42 years. Glad you enjoy what you are doing now. Whatever you decide to do, best of luck at it, but I don't think you will need luck.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

RR, what did you think of it? I still have mixed opinions on fat channels and such. I guess I grew too accustomed to the 01v96. I still prefer it, menus and all. It just seems to make sense to me. I tried a fat channel style and although it was ok to work, it just felt wrong to me. Guess I am the odd man out. Glad you are still working anyway. We were ready to get out after all the time woodshedding, and then the pandemic started and there is NOWHERE to play. Not even a party. Folks around here started doing paid podcasting to make money. Not my thing, so I guess we will just wait it out. Anyway, nice talking to you. Miss all the friends from on here. Stay around!!

• Members

My experience with Zoom stuff in general is that they get things "almost" right with a few annoying quirks - and are completely unresponsive to feedback from English speakers.

Most digital mixers I've used have some form of the "fat channel" but these mixers like the Presonus do not have motorized faders so have that weird "faders don't work until you manually sync them up" thing. Unlike the presonus that extends to the monitor mixes which are on the faders here and not on knobs with digital position display like the presonus.

The L-8 lacks any dynamics and the L-20 only has the much reviled "single knob compressors" - no gates. I'll probably use the L-8 instead of my MG82CX next gig "just because" AKA to get a feel of using one as a live mixer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I think I will just stay with my trusty 01v96. It has an obtuse interface, but I have gotten used to it so that now it is second nature. Beyond the interface it does everything I need, and many things I don't need. I really think that it was almost a perfect mixer, if only the interface had been a little easier to deal with. Now that I know it, it is a perfect mixer, but it took a while to become that....LOL.

• Members

I'm getting used to the Zoom L-8 and L-20, I will probably use it at the gig next week. Kinda always hated fake flying faders (thanks Presonus LOL) but would also hate paying for real ones and the extra size and weight. The L-8 weighs 3.5 lbs, is less than a foot square, and will run off my laptop's USB port power.

Unfortunately (?) The L-20 and the newer L-8 have some differences in controls and menus - and it's a bit of a hassle to transfer a recorded project between them but doable.

And who thought it was a good idea to have grey text on black? 😕

Archived