PIn 2 Vs PIn 3 Hot, and effect on Amps...Namely PLX

• Members

A lot of Cats have called out the PLX series Amps for being weak on Sub duty... I personally haven't had these issues, and always wondered why. I recently discovered that the Pioneer DJM Series Mixers are Pin 3 Hot- whereas the PLX Amps are Pin 2 Hot. I have no idea why the hell Pioneer made them Pin 3, but I'm wondering if there is a difference in the inpout stages that makes these type amps react differently to a pin 3 hot signal, other than the obvious fact that the speaker will move IN with a positive signal on Pin 2.

Thoughts?

Wondering if I shoudl make up a set of XLR's that are pin 2/Pin3 reversed for those little beasts.

Todd A.

• Members

Nope, it's just a wiring and polarity convention. The problems come from mixing amps that are pin 2 hot with those that are pin 3 hot, it's exactly the same as reversing the output polarity. Switch either the input or output polarity to correct all to the same standard.

• Members

Nope, it's just a wiring and polarity convention. The problems come from mixing amps that are pin 2 hot with those that are pin 3 hot, it's exactly the same as reversing the output polarity. Switch either the input or output polarity to correct all to the same standard.

Sure, but wouldn't there be a tangible impact by having the speaker go IN on it's first movement? I had no idea the Pioneer DJM's were pin 3, and never used a reverse cable or phase reverse... Since all my amps are pin2, my ashly gear is pin2, seems that I should phase reverse the input at the Ashly to ge thte speakers all going in the right "direction"... or are you sayign it just doesn't matter?

T

Archived