'Grote'???? What the hell kind of name is THAT for a guitar?

• Members

Doesn't matter I guess, I bought one anyway. If it's any kind of 'playable', it's going to be a great deal for only $179 shipped, be on the porch next Tuesday. 

It has a kind of retro 'hardscrabble' look that should lend itself well to doing songs like 'Man of constant sorrow', 'You are my Sunshine', and maybe even 'He's in the jailhouse now' with...maybe you can tell I recently watched 'Brother Where Art Though?' again.

Screenshot_20200125-124302~2.png

Screenshot_20200125-124313~2.png

Screenshot_20200125-124328~2.png

• Members

that looks like an epiphone century, which they do no lefties...

is the grote as lefty available? in cherry red instead sunburst? its something i've been looking around for a while

• Members
7 hours ago, t_e_l_e said:

that looks like an epiphone century, which they do no lefties...

is the grote as lefty available? in cherry red instead sunburst? its something i've been looking around for a while

I haven't seen any lefties of this guitar, at least where I've been looking, so can't definitely say ( but I kinda doubt it). 

I probably would have bought a red one, but the Amazon dealer who had the $169 deals on these only had the vintage 'tobacco burst' and a natural (blonde?) finish available. If the one they send me is a decent guitar, I might buy a blonde one too if they're still available in a week.

• Members

I heard George Harrison use the term Grote in the Movie, a Hard days Night.  He was shown shirts by a promotion manager and said he wouldn't be caught dead wearing them. he called then Grote which is short for Grotesque.  https://youtu.be/QREeweMWTZk?t=113

The word has a Dutch reference to Groot meaning great, important, eminent, heroic. The urban dictionary,  says its another word for bollock or testicle, in most cases referring to a single testicle. https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Grote

Companies in the orient use a whole bunch of brand names which are a real hoot, they are either close enough to a popular US brand name or something that can easily wind up being counterfeit with a few font changes.  Tayste acoustic guitars for example look suspiciously similar to Taylor guitars.   

Not sure what you could change Grote to, Godin, Greco, Guyatone?  My guess would be Guild or Gretsch given its a jazz box.  

To be honest, the name really doesn't matter so long as its a decent player.  I typically find the biggest issue with Chinese imports is crappy fret jobs using bad fret wire.  Unfinished ends,  and tangs that wont keep the frets in. 

• Like 1
  • Members

"That great Grote sound!"

Nice looking guitar with some vintage vibe going on. Hope it turns out well. I recently bought a cheapie King strat copy from an ebay seller and was pleasantly surprised.

Edited by 6down1togo
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I bought the 335 styled one. It's ok, barely played it yet. First one came distressingly smashed. Check it carefully for damage, especially around the nut, and neck joint. 

Saw the one you're looking at. The Gibby it's based on was my dream guitar as a teen. Mainly due to the p90.

I've thought about buying this one too. 

Speaking of which;  PICS!

• Members

A buddy of mine has a 1953 Gibson ES175 I did work on for him.  Tried to get him to sell it but no soap. Those sell for about 5K now and that one is one of the sweeter ones I've played. 

The first Jazz box I had to play for awhile was a 1949 ES 350. I borrowed it from a old guy my father knew and it was the epitome of what I considered to be an old mans guitar back in the 60's. It had Heavy flat wound strings and playing it felt like it had piano strings.  That old guy could play the hell out of it though, sing too.  He did a rendition of Over the rainbow which knocked my socks off using all those barred jazz chords which carried the melody/harmony throughout.  The guy really knew his stuff. He played the Big band circuit in NY and NJ back in my fathers day during the war years. 

• 4 weeks later...