It's my birthday, so last night I.....

J Backlund

16 minutes ago, J Backlund said:

Ordered a new Danelectro 12 string as a present to myself, but it was on sale for $299 with free shipping, so it's not like I needed much as an excuse.

Screenshot_20200122-231155~2.png

I have a late '90's blue sparkle DC-12 model that was purchased new back then - actually, GC threw it into a studio gear deal for so little that I really couldn't pass on it. I really wanted a Ric 12, but that little Dano is so darned good that I really can't justify one - especially for as relatively infrequently that I need a 12 string around the studio. But it HAS been used on quite a few projects, and everyone loves the sound and playability of it. 

So...  happy birthday and congratulations! I think you'll really like it. :)

• Members

Cool gift to self. BTW 22nd or 23rd? I had mine 23rd, but being in Thailand (17 hrs ahead of west coast USA) time does get confusing.

I'd like a 12 string, but hard enough keeping 6 strings going with massive corrosion here

• Members
15 hours ago, Emory said:

Cool gift to self. BTW 22nd or 23rd? I had mine 23rd, but being in Thailand (17 hrs ahead of west coast USA) time does get confusing.

I'd like a 12 string, but hard enough keeping 6 strings going with massive corrosion here

23'd.

• Members
On 1/25/2020 at 2:27 PM, DeepEnd said:

Happy Birthday. :eatdrink060: Happy (Pending) New Guitar Day too!

Thank you. It's going to be a loaded HNGD week, besides the Dano 12 coming on the 30th, I have that cheapo Grote thinline hollowbody supposedly showing up on Tuesday the 28th.

Uh-oh, for some stupid reason, my credit card purchase of the Grote didn't go through, though there's certainly enough 'headroom' available to buy a cheapo guitar, so....I cancelled that order, and re-ordered the same guitar tonight, this time using a bank debit card. It will push the delivery date back one day to Wednesday, the 29th.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

well, I have never owned a Danelectro either...but at under $300 [well, plus tax] my expectations are not particularly high...and I'll still need to find a case for it...

I like the ability to intonate each string, which was a big factor in my decision...I had been looking at acoustic 12s for about a year now, and had this not come up at that price now, I would likely have had a Takamine or a Guild shortly.

Daddymack, take a look at the Taylor 150E 12 string if you get a chance. I really like mine a lot. 

I have a total of two Danelectros - both are rather "specialized" - a '98 (or '99) DC-12 in blue sparkle, and a '05 Baritone in black. Both were made in Korea, and both are surprisingly good instruments, especially considering how little they cost. If the new ones are at all similar, you guys should really like your new guitars!

Pics and thoughts please, once they arrive and you get a chance to play them a bit... 

• Moderators

Phil, I've tried dozens of a/e 12s, including the Taylor...a bit too pricey for an ax I will use for 1-3 songs a gig. Plus, Taylor doesn't make that model in black...😉

The Guild F-2512 doesn't come in black either [but it does come in 'charcoal burst' but hard to find*], so I would probably have been down to the Tak. I also had looked at Ovation 12s, but they are uncomfortable to play seated.

*the Guild factory is only about a twenty minute drive from where I live now, so I guess I could have tried going there to find a 'charcoal'...

• Moderators

please follow this link

my initial reaction is positive*...JB, what say you? Happy with yours?

a $300 12 string that tunes up with a Snark...I used to tell people that NO ONE has ever actually tuned a 12 string, but with individual saddles, this little puppy rings nicely!😎

Archived