Pedal order with 4 cable method

mbengs1

• Members

Here's how I setup my pedals with my amp. I put the distortion and overdrive pedals before the amp's input and these are in the loop of a noise suppressor. I put delay and reverb in the fx loop as well as the flange and chorus, and octave and tremolo. I put phasers and wah before the noise suppressor. I set the pedals this way mainly to allow me to choose how a get my gain, either with the distortion pedal or the amp's dirty channel. The overdrive's purpose is to push the gain further and add midrange punch in either situations. Now, I noticed that if I use the distortion pedal with the delay going through the effects loop, the tone sounds muddy. unlike if I place all the pedals before the amp and set the amp clean, it sounds a little clearer. Is it wrong to put a delay in the effects loop when using a distortion pedal before the input of the amp? I think there is a degradation of the signal when using the effects loop when the gain comes from outside the amp. 

• Members

The delay is in the effects loop, series effects loop. No parallel effects loop in Bugeras. I tried to record the guitars and the guitar is less bright, but has an irritating midrange. I assume it can damage studio monitors. it sounds like micing a 15 watt amp. 

• Members

I'd guess the delay is at fault. You can back off the delay blend to favor the dry signal but there's nothing you can do about digitizing the preamp. Isn't 4 cable supposed to allow a parallel configuration. If you gotta go that way, tweak the patch until it sounds best.

• Members
On 1/21/2020 at 3:09 PM, 1001gear said:

I'd guess the delay is at fault. You can back off the delay blend to favor the dry signal but there's nothing you can do about digitizing the preamp. Isn't 4 cable supposed to allow a parallel configuration. If you gotta go that way, tweak the patch until it sounds best.

It's not the delay. I think it's the setup of using a distortion in front of the input through the clean channel and then bypassing the lead channel to get to the effects loop. I think if you use the effects loop in any amp, better use the dirty channel in the amp with it. otherwise just don't use the effects loop at all and put all the effects before the amp. 

• Members

I use any way that is popularly used. if it works, I use it. I got a question about using all effects pedals for sounds. Is the amp still called an 'amp' if you use distortion pedals for gain and all effects are before the amp's front? 

Archived