how much do (or would) you charge for a wedding reception?

• Members

a person high up in the food chain at my job contacted me about providing sound for his daughters wedding. outdoors under a tent, couple wireless, playback SOS type deal plus playback at reception (no dance). more time than work. i gave a price of around $350

its been scaled back quite a bit, the service is inside and i am only providing sound for the reception. reception is 2 hours, typical SOS playback/one mic on a cable deal but the tent is going to be really, really deep. two shelters end to end probably 150' total. i'm a little concerned that a pair of yamaha tops may melt people in the front in order to get sound to the back. delay stacks are a problem - i dont have a stereo delay that will do 50-75ms. i asked for $200 considering this will be 5 hours setup/show/teardown. i basically gave him my dirt cheap rate because i like the guy and i have to continue to work there...........

i havent heard back yet but i am a little concerned he may see two hours for $200 and think that doesnt add up. i think its cheap.

did i set my price too high/low? for anyone else it would be double. i basically took my rate and discarded the huge wedding PITA fee.

• Members

Like most gigs, people don't see the haul-in & set-up & tear-down so that doesn't count.

What you should do is get a quote from a competitor and show him the difference and then your price might seem a little more reasonable.

• Members

I would hope that your manager/boss/whatever realizes that you just gave him a great deal. You did of course.

Tents are just like outdoors. Get those speakers up in the air over everyone's heads (hopefully it's high enough to do this) and you won't blow out those in front.

• Members

I'm sure some people see $200 for 2 hours as "Hey, this guy's making a hundred bucks an hour"...

:poke:

How ignorant does someone need to be to not understand the concept of OVERHEAD?

The price you quoted is dirt cheap.

• Members

Tents are just like outdoors.

Tents are nothing like outdoors...the walls and roof are very reflective. Hanging speakers at a fairly high trim (20') with a serious down tilt probably gives the best results but $200 doesn't pay for two speakers on sticks.

Dennis

• Members

yes i agree. low low price. tents have been a problem before, from what i gather from the info i have is the tents are pole tents (huge, big poles in the middle, big points in the roof, heavy covering. nasty.

one aspect of my price is the reception happens to be on site where the system is stored. i literally push it out on wheels 50' and then push it back 50' when done. no load out, load in, trailer, hauling, anything. this is a major consideration for me.

• Members

It's likely that the attendees at the back willnot like the musiv loud anyway (maybe everybody would like music softer than you do???) and getting a pair up in the air, tilted down a little and you should be good to go.

They are renting the gear, the time to deliver and return it, the vehicle, the time to set-up, tear down and operate it. In the end, it will be closer to 6 hours, and then there's your time.

• Members

Maybe this sounds ignorant, but why not bring two more speakers and do another pair midway down the ten for those in back, that way you can keep the over all level lower. I know it adds more work to your already underpaid job, but none of you guys can pretend you don't care about your sound. ;)

• Members

Yeah, that's a pretty good price provided you have nice equipment. At my wedding last weekend, a friend of mine came out and told us he didn't want anything...we paid him of course, but for anyone else, he probably would've charged a couple hundred bucks.

• Members

Maybe this sounds ignorant, but why not bring two more speakers and do another pair midway down the ten for those in back, that way you can keep the over all level lower. I know it adds more work to your already underpaid job, but none of you guys can pretend you don't care about your sound.
;)

i do have another pair of tops on site and i did think of this, but i dont have a delay that will be appropriate. it would be easy enough to repatch my amp rack and have the sub amps drive a separate pair of tops but the 75ms offset would be painful.

OTOH, imay be overthinking things and it will be fine with two out front. i've been to my share of weddings with awful, awful sound and no one seemed to care, so worst case i figure is someone may want it louder and someone may not want it as loud. i'm not providing background music and i'll run it at whatever level they choose.

• Members

OTOH, imay be overthinking things and it will be fine with two out front. i've been to my share of weddings with awful, awful sound and no one seemed to care, so worst case i figure is someone may want it louder and someone may not want it as loud. i'm not providing background music and i'll run it at whatever level they choose.

Bingo!

• Members

Here here. Young people get drunk and dance to any music, old people get drunk and tune it out. And somewhere in there a couple gets married I think. ;)

• Members

Yeah, that's a pretty good price
provided you have nice equipment
. At my wedding last weekend, a friend of mine came out and told us he didn't want anything...we paid him of course, but for anyone else, he probably would've charged a couple hundred bucks.

miwiz3, white instruments eq's, crown amps, yamaha club tops and either an acp22 or dbx266 for the vocal mic (e835).

• Members

I think your price is incredibly cheap. My band's starting price for a wedding is $2k. Granted, it's not an even split. We dedicate a portion to overhead, leader gets a double fee, etc.

One thing you might want to keep in mind is the fact that it's a wedding, not a concert event. I've seen bands and DJs who aren't familiar with wedding protocal get way too carried away at weddings. Suffice it to say that you're not the attraction. You're there to put music on the dance floor, not to fill the tent from front to back and from side to side with music at levels everyone can hear. People want to communicate with each other. Family and friends who haven't seen each other in quite a while want to catch up on things, not scream over the music blasting in the tent. Unless there's a large group of unruley idiots, guests are very quiet and attentive during toasts, speeches, prayers, etc. You don't need a full array to fill the tent to carry this.

• Members

Last wedding, I charged about twice that, and the bride's father came and picked the stuff up, set it up, had his MC/DJ run it, tore it down, brought it back and was still so happy he tipped me with a gift cert. to his nursery. Different markets, I guess.

We typically only get hired for really uppity high society type weddings, or the ones that are going to be really difficult. Either way I charge accordingly.

Archived