Sign in to follow this  
Donny G

Yamaha LS56

I have a Yamaha LL16 which, although it is a less fancy version, has many of the same features. Solid spruce top with A.R.E. treatment being a main feature of the LL series.

The excellent build quality is what one would expect from Yamaha but it was the sound and the overall resonance that sold me. I kept going back to the shop because the guitar was such a pleasure to play. There was a Gibson J200 in the shop and, although it did sound good, I actually preferred the sound of the LL16. There is no preamp in my guitar but it does have an under saddle transducer which works quite well when plugged into a high enough impedance. I've played mine through a Fishman Loudbox and it seems to be the perfect amp for that guitar. I don't have a Loudbox, I use an L.R. Baggs active DI with mine and it too works very well because of it's high input impedance.

I haven't found any better value in the price ranges Yamaha builds. I was hoping the company produced a particular model I'm interested in but it doesn't. If it did, I'd probably buy it sight unseen. I have no experience with the L-series.