J Backlund

New guy here, have these ideas for several new guitars...

So I was sitting around sketching some little pencil drawings of crazy guitar designs and came up with a few with 'possibilities'....

Screenshot_20200119-084615~3.png

Screenshot_20200119-084700~2.png

Screenshot_20200119-084719~2.png

Edited by J Backlund
  • Like 1

i like the first one, reminds me of my ovation breadwinner...  im not a fan of pointy, poking things on my guitars but thats got nice lines...  

I love the first one, looks like a winner to me. The second, I respect, but would never own it. (I sit down to play, and I doubt it would stay in place.) And the third one... Oh god,  the third one... I mean no disrespect, but it looks like a toilet seat.

1 hour ago, Voltan said:

i like the first one, reminds me of my ovation breadwinner...  im not a fan of pointy, poking things on my guitars but thats got nice lines...  

FB_IMG_1528323936678.jpg

9 minutes ago, badpenguin said:

I love the first one, looks like a winner to me. The second, I respect, but would never own it. (I sit down to play, and I doubt it would stay in place.) And the third one... Oh god,  the third one... I mean no disrespect, but it looks like a toilet seat.

Yep, it's a lot better as a stand-up guitar than a sitting one...

FB_IMG_1527354691443.jpg

19 minutes ago, badpenguin said:

Oh god,  the third one... I mean no disrespect, but it looks like a toilet seat.

It's a strange one, that's for sure, but it looks a little better in wood and metal....I think....ok, now I'm not so sure...

IMG_20190213_101052013~2.jpg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, J Backlund said:

FB_IMG_1527354691443.jpg

yes!  love the pickups!    thats got a funky vibe to it as well! wait a sec...  lol... no way

My choice would be the second one. YMMV. They're all cool designs and what I've come to expect from the devious mind of J Backlund. smiley-wink

Edited by DeepEnd

7 hours ago, J Backlund said:

FB_IMG_1527354691443.jpg

The All O'Keefes!

10 hours ago, Grant Harding said:

These are your production models, right? Not sure I understand this thread???

Yes, all are production models....now, but a dozen or so years ago, they were just pencil sketches that I posted on the old Harmony Central Electric Guitar forum.

What would become 'Backlund' guitars were first seen here as embryonic pencil doodles.

Bruce Bennett was the one who stepped forward and built the first prototypes, as well as all of the following JBD guitars.

The rest, as they say, is history. 

Edited by J Backlund
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, brucebennett said:

cool Designs! .. maybe I'll try making one of these for myself.

😉🍀

What did I say back then, Bruce?..."Knock yourself out"?

18 hours ago, J Backlund said:

It's a strange one, that's for sure, but it looks a little better in wood and metal....I think....ok, now I'm not so sure...

Definitely not your typical guitar body shape, but I kind of like this one. 

1 hour ago, Phil O'Keefe said:

Definitely not your typical guitar body shape, but I kind of like this one. 

this one looks like two guitar picks, one on the other...  looks like it would be fun to play!   what a hoot!

• Like 1

Hey John, do you still have that image with all your designs?  That big poster one?  I loved that thing..

21 hours ago, J Backlund said:

Definitely has that 40's 50's automobile, art deco look.  It looks like something Dan Electro might design. 

DE.JPG.571ed951f448781b580aa9528deb1d9c.JPG

In regards to the first pic with the slanted pickups. My first though would be you might have issues with the tone. Tilting pickup towards the bridge typically gives the Light strings more treble and the heavy strings more bass.  There again, Hendrix got great tones put of playing a right handed Strat left handed so It may not matter very much.   

1 hour ago, WRGKMC said:

Definitely has that 40's 50's automobile, art deco look.  It looks like something Dan Electro might design. 

DE.JPG.571ed951f448781b580aa9528deb1d9c.JPG

In regards to the first pic with the slanted pickups. My first though would be you might have issues with the tone. Tilting pickup towards the bridge typically gives the Light strings more treble and the heavy strings more bass.  There again, Hendrix got great tones put of playing a right handed Strat left handed so It may not matter very much.   

That drawing was what became the model 400, and was produced with two more or less standard humbuckers placed in a normal vertical position. Slanted pickups were never used on the actual guitar.

Screenshot_20191217-012135~2.png

ever since eastwood is makeing lefties of them i am tempted to buy one.
i never could decide on which one aaaaaand i am not sure if i would play it once i have it and here is definitely too less space in my home for another guitar just eating dust

but i love your designs

20 hours ago, J Backlund said:

That drawing was what became the model 400, and was produced with two more or less standard humbuckers placed in a normal vertical position. Slanted pickups were never used on the actual guitar.

Screenshot_20191217-012135~2.png

This one always was my favorite. Are they still being produced?