Jump to content
J Backlund

New guy here, have these ideas for several new guitars...

Recommended Posts

 

So I was sitting around sketching some little pencil drawings of crazy guitar designs and came up with a few with 'possibilities'....

 

 

Screenshot_20200119-084615~3.png

Screenshot_20200119-084700~2.png

Screenshot_20200119-084719~2.png

Edited by J Backlund
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i like the first one, reminds me of my ovation breadwinner...  im not a fan of pointy, poking things on my guitars but thats got nice lines...  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the first one, looks like a winner to me. The second, I respect, but would never own it. (I sit down to play, and I doubt it would stay in place.) And the third one... Oh god,  the third one... I mean no disrespect, but it looks like a toilet seat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Voltan said:

i like the first one, reminds me of my ovation breadwinner...  im not a fan of pointy, poking things on my guitars but thats got nice lines...  

 

 

FB_IMG_1528323936678.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, badpenguin said:

I love the first one, looks like a winner to me. The second, I respect, but would never own it. (I sit down to play, and I doubt it would stay in place.) And the third one... Oh god,  the third one... I mean no disrespect, but it looks like a toilet seat.

Yep, it's a lot better as a stand-up guitar than a sitting one...

 

FB_IMG_1527354691443.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, badpenguin said:

 Oh god,  the third one... I mean no disrespect, but it looks like a toilet seat.

It's a strange one, that's for sure, but it looks a little better in wood and metal....I think....ok, now I'm not so sure...

 

 

IMG_20190213_101052013~2.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, J Backlund said:

Yep, it's a lot better as a stand-up guitar than a sitting one...

 

FB_IMG_1527354691443.jpg

yes!  love the pickups!    thats got a funky vibe to it as well! wait a sec...  lol... no way

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My choice would be the second one. YMMV. They're all cool designs and what I've come to expect from the devious mind of J Backlund. smiley-wink

Edited by DeepEnd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, J Backlund said:

Yep, it's a lot better as a stand-up guitar than a sitting one...

 

FB_IMG_1527354691443.jpg

The All O'Keefes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Grant Harding said:

These are your production models, right? Not sure I understand this thread???

Yes, all are production models....now, but a dozen or so years ago, they were just pencil sketches that I posted on the old Harmony Central Electric Guitar forum.

What would become 'Backlund' guitars were first seen here as embryonic pencil doodles.

Bruce Bennett was the one who stepped forward and built the first prototypes, as well as all of the following JBD guitars.

The rest, as they say, is history. 

 

Edited by J Backlund
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, brucebennett said:

cool Designs! .. maybe I'll try making one of these for myself.

 

😉🍀

 

What did I say back then, Bruce?..."Knock yourself out"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, J Backlund said:

It's a strange one, that's for sure, but it looks a little better in wood and metal....I think....ok, now I'm not so sure...

 

 

IMG_20190213_101052013~2.jpg


Definitely not your typical guitar body shape, but I kind of like this one. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Phil O'Keefe said:


Definitely not your typical guitar body shape, but I kind of like this one. 
 

this one looks like two guitar picks, one on the other...  looks like it would be fun to play!   what a hoot!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey John, do you still have that image with all your designs?  That big poster one?  I loved that thing..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, J Backlund said:

It's a strange one, that's for sure, but it looks a little better in wood and metal....I think....ok, now I'm not so sure...

 

 

IMG_20190213_101052013~2.jpg

Definitely has that 40's 50's automobile, art deco look.  It looks like something Dan Electro might design. 

DE.JPG.571ed951f448781b580aa9528deb1d9c.JPG

 

In regards to the first pic with the slanted pickups. My first though would be you might have issues with the tone. Tilting pickup towards the bridge typically gives the Light strings more treble and the heavy strings more bass.  There again, Hendrix got great tones put of playing a right handed Strat left handed so It may not matter very much.   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WRGKMC said:

Definitely has that 40's 50's automobile, art deco look.  It looks like something Dan Electro might design. 

DE.JPG.571ed951f448781b580aa9528deb1d9c.JPG

 

In regards to the first pic with the slanted pickups. My first though would be you might have issues with the tone. Tilting pickup towards the bridge typically gives the Light strings more treble and the heavy strings more bass.  There again, Hendrix got great tones put of playing a right handed Strat left handed so It may not matter very much.   

 

That drawing was what became the model 400, and was produced with two more or less standard humbuckers placed in a normal vertical position. Slanted pickups were never used on the actual guitar.

Screenshot_20191217-012135~2.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ever since eastwood is makeing lefties of them i am tempted to buy one.
i never could decide on which one aaaaaand i am not sure if i would play it once i have it and here is definitely too less space in my home for another guitar just eating dust

but i love your designs

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, J Backlund said:

That drawing was what became the model 400, and was produced with two more or less standard humbuckers placed in a normal vertical position. Slanted pickups were never used on the actual guitar.

Screenshot_20191217-012135~2.png

This one always was my favorite. Are they still being produced?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...