New guy here, have these ideas for several new guitars...

J Backlund

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
9 minutes ago, badpenguin said:

I love the first one, looks like a winner to me. The second, I respect, but would never own it. (I sit down to play, and I doubt it would stay in place.) And the third one... Oh god,  the third one... I mean no disrespect, but it looks like a toilet seat.

Yep, it's a lot better as a stand-up guitar than a sitting one...

FB_IMG_1527354691443.jpg

• Members
19 minutes ago, badpenguin said:

Oh god,  the third one... I mean no disrespect, but it looks like a toilet seat.

It's a strange one, that's for sure, but it looks a little better in wood and metal....I think....ok, now I'm not so sure...

IMG_20190213_101052013~2.jpg

• Members
10 hours ago, Grant Harding said:

These are your production models, right? Not sure I understand this thread???

Yes, all are production models....now, but a dozen or so years ago, they were just pencil sketches that I posted on the old Harmony Central Electric Guitar forum.

What would become 'Backlund' guitars were first seen here as embryonic pencil doodles.

Bruce Bennett was the one who stepped forward and built the first prototypes, as well as all of the following JBD guitars.

The rest, as they say, is history. 

• Members
21 hours ago, J Backlund said:

It's a strange one, that's for sure, but it looks a little better in wood and metal....I think....ok, now I'm not so sure...

IMG_20190213_101052013~2.jpg

Definitely has that 40's 50's automobile, art deco look.  It looks like something Dan Electro might design. 

DE.JPG.571ed951f448781b580aa9528deb1d9c.JPG

In regards to the first pic with the slanted pickups. My first though would be you might have issues with the tone. Tilting pickup towards the bridge typically gives the Light strings more treble and the heavy strings more bass.  There again, Hendrix got great tones put of playing a right handed Strat left handed so It may not matter very much.   

• Members
1 hour ago, WRGKMC said:

Definitely has that 40's 50's automobile, art deco look.  It looks like something Dan Electro might design. 

DE.JPG.571ed951f448781b580aa9528deb1d9c.JPG

In regards to the first pic with the slanted pickups. My first though would be you might have issues with the tone. Tilting pickup towards the bridge typically gives the Light strings more treble and the heavy strings more bass.  There again, Hendrix got great tones put of playing a right handed Strat left handed so It may not matter very much.   

That drawing was what became the model 400, and was produced with two more or less standard humbuckers placed in a normal vertical position. Slanted pickups were never used on the actual guitar.

Screenshot_20191217-012135~2.png

• Members

ever since eastwood is makeing lefties of them i am tempted to buy one.
i never could decide on which one aaaaaand i am not sure if i would play it once i have it and here is definitely too less space in my home for another guitar just eating dust

but i love your designs

• Members
20 hours ago, J Backlund said:

That drawing was what became the model 400, and was produced with two more or less standard humbuckers placed in a normal vertical position. Slanted pickups were never used on the actual guitar.

Screenshot_20191217-012135~2.png

This one always was my favorite. Are they still being produced?

Archived