Connecting a cabinet to a combo style amp

mbengs1

• Members

I was wondering if you connect a cabinet to a combo amp if you get the same tone as if the combo was converted into a head. Saw the amp's enclosure to the size of a head. Let's say a bugera 6262 2x12 combo connecting to a 4x12. is it the same tone you'd get as with a bugera 6262 head and a 4x12? 

• Members
6 hours ago, daddymack said:

well, there is more to it than that...closed back versus open back cabinet, and speaker efficiency, among other things, will certainly have an effect on how it will sound

Your answer assumes a sensible question. Alas, no. He wants to know if the same amp in combo version sounds different to the head version when plugged into the same cabinet. 

• Members

The tubes in a combo might be stiffer or braced better which could account for a difference between it and a head only. BUT if the units are identical, the speaker won't be able to reproduce any difference beyond the expected tolerance discrepancies.

• Members
15 hours ago, mbengs1 said:

I know now. the cabinet knows if its a combo or a head that its connected to. 

No it doesn't. Sorry if this comes across as a personal attack but that's just patently silly. A cab has no brain, no awareness. It doesn't and can't "know" anything. An amp detects the electrical characteristics of a speaker; if you connect a second or extension cab in parallel the amp detects the change in impedance but that's not the same as "know"ing anything.

• Moderators

Bengs...do some reading, please. There are zillions of good books, videos, blogs on the electronic aspects of tube amps, speakers, Ohm's Law, and so on, and you will gain understanding of what happens from the moment your pick flicks a string and the sound comes out...it may a be a micro second, but there is an amazing series of events occurring to make that sound for you.

On 1/15/2020 at 3:23 AM, mbengs1 said:

I was wondering if you connect a cabinet to a combo amp if you get the same tone as if the combo was converted into a head.

If you took say, a pair of Marshall amps that are available both as heads and as combo amps (IOW, the exact same amp circuit,  except one is a head and one is a combo) and plugged both of them into identical 4x12 cabinets that are loaded with the exact same types of speakers, there will basically be zero difference in the sound of the two rigs. The speaker cabinet isn't impacted in the slightest by the size of the cabinet that the amplifier itself is mounted into - not if you're not using the speaker(s) in that combo. 

Saw the amp's enclosure to the size of a head. Let's say a bugera 6262 2x12 combo connecting to a 4x12. is it the same tone you'd get as with a bugera 6262 head and a 4x12? 

Again, the tone will basically be the same, but you're destroying the value of your amp by sawing it up like that. Better to sell it and just buy / replace it with the head version instead. Or, you could have a new head cabinet for your existing amp built, and pull it out of the combo cabinet and mount it into the new head-sized cabinet. Heck, even a DIY head cabinet build would be a much better idea than sawing up a combo amp IMHO. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I tried plugging my marshall combo to my 4x12 cabinet and it didn't sound like a stack. It still sounds more 'combo-ish'. not like the heads, they really have backdrop that a combo can't dish. I wish I can get a nice amp coz my bugera isn't that toney. hehe. 

On 1/20/2020 at 4:56 PM, 1001gear said:

if the chassis (wtf is the plural of chassis?)

Singular or plural, it's still spelled chassis... the only thing that changes is the pronunciation:

Pronounce chassis CHASS-ee (singular) and CHASS-eez (plural). Chassis comes from the Latin capsa, meaning box.

2 hours ago, mbengs1 said:

I tried plugging my marshall combo to my 4x12 cabinet and it didn't sound like a stack. It still sounds more 'combo-ish'. not like the heads, they really have backdrop that a combo can't dish. 

With all due respect, I think you're suffering from confirmation bias. Either that, or you just may not like the sound of your amp very much, and may equate a "stack sound" with a different amp circuit. 

the cabinet knows if its a combo or a head that its connected to. 

Sorry, but no, it doesn't. The ONLY way that matters what enclosure and amp is mounted into is if you're using the internal speakers of the combo amp - then they're affected by the size, shape and construction of the enclosure. The amp itself is not impacted by those factors. 

Again, once you disconnect the internal speaker(s) and connect your amp to an external speaker cabinet, the size of the cabinet that the amp electronics are mounted in will have ZERO impact on the tone. It could be in a "head" sized chassis, it could be in a combo-sized chassis, heck, it could be pulled out of the chassis and sitting open on a tech's workbench (please do NOT try this at home! There are LETHAL voltages inside of a tube amp!) and it would not make any sonic difference. 

Archived