I think im gonna quit singing

Swedishguy26

• Members

Hi

When i hear on my recordings all i hear is how bad i really sound like i thought i sounded better. I tried to become a singer and the other members in the band did not want me because of my vocal quality. I try to practice everyday and still i cannot sing. What should I do?

https://www.smule.com/recording/yngwie-malmsteen-rising-force/2247354611_3346494004

https://www.smule.com/recording/europe-carrie/2247354611_3346487854

• Members

Howdy. I'm not sure wether your dislike of your own voice is coming from a place of genuine identification of fundamental issues or simply because it sounds different to how you hear yourself which is a very common issue.

You're not bad at all. Your voice is very resonant. Far more than mine was when I started and still quite a bit more so than it is now. 

I mean I've only been training for 4.5 Months and I can't even point to any glaring disaster areas in your singing. Follow my thread from the beginning and you'll realise you have nothing to be ashamed of vocally. 

Don't quit. Dont quit your passion, please. Find someone better than you to give you targeted, specific advice on how to improve and you will stay motivated to take your voice to the next level. 

Do vocal exercise that target a specific weakness. Don't just spend an hour making noise and wondering why you're not getting better. If you don't understand what the point of a vocal exercise is, then don't do it.

Perhaps we can trade tips going forward, perhaps that's not in the cards but good luck to you.

• Members

Hi Swedishguy...i would hazard to say you sound like a Tenor to me. You have depth and fullness All the way into the 5th Octave and beyond. It's a colour and co ordination at those high notes that I think is the reason why some baritones are jealous of tenors. I hope that helps. You sound very good for someone who has quit singing. What, If I may ask is your history of study and training? Have you had bad experiences with vocal coaches? Are you seeing one now? Has this forum been of any help to you? 

Yes not opening your mouth super wide is a great way to avoid laryngeal strain. Another way to do that is to keep the tongue seated naturally in the mouth touching the back of the bottom front teeth. 

I actually enjoyed your vibrato the most besides the depth and fullness to your tone. I really should be the one asking you for advice. 

Archived