Twangy Sitar Sounding String Mystery...

• Members

On a fine old Mexi strat I brought back from near-death, I'm still getting a doingy / unwanted sitar-ish sort of sound on the high E string...  But only when it's not fretted. This has made me look at the nut and check that the slot is not cut too low, and it's not.  The string clearly has good clearance over the first fret and beyond. Any ideas what the culprit may be?  Could it be the saddle (even though the sound goes away when the string is fretted)? ...Nut slot cut too *wide*? 

Where would y'all look first?   ...Much obliged for any replies!

• Members

Have the bridge saddles got the normal 2 height adjustment screws? Those can rattle if only one is dealing with the string pressure. Try slightly screwing each one in, looking for one that will turn with no resistance and then turn it until it does.

• Members
3 minutes ago, mrbrown49 said:

Nut slot depth isnt the only thing to worry about there. If the lead edge is worn the string can vibrate against it.

Thanks, that makes sense. The saddle seems to me to be eliminated when the notes ring proud and true when the string is fretted...  New nut, here we come...

• Members

No need for a new nut. A quick pass with a nut file, or not having one, a razor blade. Your nut may be too wide for the string, so a quick pass, creating a smaller "V" notch may solve it. (happens when going from a set of 10's to a set of 9's or less.)

If you have a bone nut, then a little bone dust and crazy glue works wonders. Mix it up., apply as a paste, let harden, refile the slot.

• Members
1 hour ago, valued customer said:

No change with changed string...alas.

Is the new string the same brand? A while back I put a set of Ernie Ball Earthwood strings on my main acoustic and the B string made a sound like what you're talking about. I didn't get the sound with d'Addario, Martin, or DR, just Earthwoods.

• Members

Just out of spuriousity, do you use an ebow or maybe the pickups got tilted toward the treble side? You might also have developed a spontaneous sensitivity to twisted E strings.

• Members
14 hours ago, badpenguin said:

No need for a new nut. A quick pass with a nut file, or not having one, a razor blade. Your nut may be too wide for the string, so a quick pass, creating a smaller "V" notch may solve it. (happens when going from a set of 10's to a set of 9's or less.)

If you have a bone nut, then a little bone dust and crazy glue works wonders. Mix it up., apply as a paste, let harden, refile the slot.

^This did the trick. One pass with the narrowest nut file got the job done.  The SHPROING is gone!  Thanks to all who jumped in here...

• Like 1