Beatles acoustic cover- feedback please

fwc0004

• Members

You sound decent i hope i sound that good after a year. 

You sound somewhere between bari/tenor to me. I think you sound very comfortable in that key so good song choice.

The guitar is a tad high in the mix that's the thing I would change first.

Have you been taking voice lessons? I would be interested to know if that voice was a result of very conscious training and effort or was a little less so. Thanks fwc. 

• Members
30 minutes ago, Crispy boi said:

You sound decent i hope i sound that good after a year. 

You sound somewhere between bari/tenor to me. I think you sound very comforting in that key so good song choice.

The guitar is a tad high in the mix that's the thing I would change first.

Have you been taking voice lessons? I would be interested to know if that voice was a result of very conscious training and effort or was a little less so. Thanks fwc. 

Thanks so much for listening!! The guitar is a bit loud I agree. Was recording into my iPhone while playing and singing. Hard to get a good mic placement with that setup. I had the mic at eye level 3 feet in front of me while seated.

I have not taken voice lessons, but have been  training myself consciously by singing my favorite songs and listening carefully. Most days I sing about 30 minutes. 

I exclusively sing along with my guitar which I feel has been very important for my progress. I “couldn’t sing” when I started. Feels like a slow process.

Thanks again for taking a listen. I am trying to build the confidence to perform at local open mic. I know song choice will make or break. 

• Members
20 minutes ago, fwc0004 said:

Was recording into my iPhone while playing and singing. Hard to get a good mic placement with that setup. I had the mic at eye level 3 feet in front of me while seated.

Sadly, the mix was not good. So it is difficult to assess your voice.

Also, a phone will not give a faithful recording of your voice. A phone mic will compress, EQ,  and change your vocals, because its overriding function and selling point is (word clarity) to get the meaning of your words across, not your exact tone. A mic that you face at an open mic, may perform very differently. It is worth practising with something closer to that.

• Members
22 minutes ago, kickingtone said:

Sadly, the mix was not good. So it is difficult to assess your voice.

Also, a phone will not give a faithful recording of your voice. A phone mic will compress, EQ,  and change your vocals, because its overriding function and selling point is (word clarity) to get the meaning of your words across, not your exact tone. A mic that you face at an open mic, may perform very differently. It is worth practising with something closer to that.

When I’m at my home, I do practice with a dynamic cardioid mic, PA, and electric guitar. Acoustic stuff when I’m at my parents :) 

After listening to other covers against my own, I agree. It’s pretty difficult to hear much of the vocal nuances. 

The phone is just my only available means of recording. I did no mixing or multi tracking. My only options were strumming softer or putting the phone closer to my face. 

I massively appreciate you taking a listen. As well as informing me of the phone mic drawbacks. I am considering purchasing some recording equipment so I can make demos and covers of higher quality. 

If you have any other recommendations for making demos or possibly improving my vocals, I am thrilled to receive it! 

Thanks a bunch for the comment! 

• Members
10 hours ago, fwc0004 said:

After listening to other covers against my own, I agree. It’s pretty difficult to hear much of the vocal nuances.

I don't know how closely you mean to follow the original, but throughout you've changed the rhythm quite significantly from the original. It feels a bit rushed, to my ears.

In the opening phrase for example, DANCE IS THROUGH.. each of those words has equal weight and duration, giving it a special emphasis. You changed the rhythm, lengthening DANCE and swallowing the IS. That de-emphasizes a key phrase, imo.

I may be wrong, but, when you sing, you seem to be de-emphasizing words you would probably de-emphasize when SPEAKING -- is, the, with, and etc.

That may be ok with some songs, but I am not convinced it works with this one. Speech rhythm and emphasis can be very different when in a song. Some of those "diminished" words may fall on critical notes or beats, and you have to sing them and give them prominence, and forget how you would speak them. You can go through the original song and see just how many grammatically unstressed words get stressed.

I think that the loudness of the guitar may only be exaggerating contention in the rhythmic arrangement. Perhaps, if you follow the original groove, the loudness of the guitar may not be such an issue. (just my hunch).

• Members
4 hours ago, kickingtone said:

I don't know how closely you mean to follow the original, but throughout you've changed the rhythm quite significantly from the original. It feels a bit rushed, to my ears.

In the opening phrase for example, DANCE IS THROUGH.. each of those words has equal weight and duration, giving it a special emphasis. You changed the rhythm, lengthening DANCE and swallowing the IS. That de-emphasizes a key phrase, imo.

I may be wrong, but, when you sing, you seem to be de-emphasizing words you would probably de-emphasize when SPEAKING -- is, the, with, and etc.

That may be ok with some songs, but I am not convinced it works with this one. Speech rhythm and emphasis can be very different when in a song. Some of those "diminished" words may fall on critical notes or beats, and you have to sing them and give them prominence, and forget how you would speak them. You can go through the original song and see just how many grammatically unstressed words get stressed.

I think that the loudness of the guitar may only be exaggerating contention in the rhythmic arrangement. Perhaps, if you follow the original groove, the loudness of the guitar may not be such an issue. (just my hunch).

Excellent observations. I agree it sounds rushed. Although I like adding some energy to this song, where I feel George sounds quite chill and relaxed.

About the rhythm & emphasis, unintentional. I couldn’t put my finger on this but you really nailed it. A more moderate & consistent tempo would certainly help. So thanks. Might have something to do with my Appalachian roots. Anyway, you’re a great help. Cheers 

Archived