Sign in to follow this  
solarflare317

Worth price to fix?

I have a Harmony H-5423 guitar that I was given. Then my daughter broke the neck by tightening the strings too much (she was 2). Now I've seen the same model online between $150 to $200 cause they're 1970s vintage. But I've also seen the same model built in the 2000s and basically worth $20. My guitar doesn't have a date on it. It does say on the model sticker "made in China" though so I'm assuming it's the worthless one. I want to be sure though before I throw out a vintage guitar. Anyone able to help me? 

(I keep trying to insert on image but I keep getting an error. What hosting site am I suppose to use?)

Posted (edited)

I have to go for the firewood category for pretty much any vintage Harmony guitar, though a few self-sufficient types might respond differently (romantic filters fully employed), because in its best condition a vintage Harmony is not worth getting a professional neck reset or repair. I'd make a heroic attempt to repair it myself and if I failed it would become a wall-hanger decoration.

Edited by Idunno
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Google that model.  It's not a seventies vintage Harmony guitar, it's a broken cheap PRC knockoff of a cheap seventies vintage Harmony guitar. It's not even firewood, it's landfill fodder.

even if it was worth $200...a neck repair will run you way more than that. Give it back to your daughter and tell her to have her way with it...but to be careful

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, FretFiend. said:

Google that model.  It's not a seventies vintage Harmony guitar, it's a broken cheap PRC knockoff of a cheap seventies vintage Harmony guitar. It's not even firewood, it's landfill fodder.

Put it in a chipper shredder and scatter about you plants. Remove strings first ;)

Thanks everyone for the replies! I'm just gonna assume it's not a vintage guitar and let my daughter channel her inner rock star by smashing it on the driveway.

LOL. You guys are brutal. True treehuggers would push for recycling. The OP could always do it himself. Freeman, could you share your procedure for making a butt joint to bolt onconversion using threaded brass inserts and furniture bolts?