Floyed Bridge Tunning for Standard D

blunt_force

• Members

Hi all,
So finally I settled with Floyed Bridge Jackson guitar and I love it. However, tuning Floyed Bridge is a total PAIN!!

Now, I'm trying to learn a song with D Standard but I noticed the High E is now touching the pickup!!!
I watched many YouTube videos and they suggested that I tune the guitar in this order with fine tuners in the middle

Low E (little sharp), High E, B, A, G, D
I did not want to do anything before I know what has happened, How to remedy?

Thank you.

• Members

Your floyd is on a balance between your strings tension and the trems springs tension adjusted by the claw. When setup in E STD. and all is balanced. You cannot drop to D STD. . It is not possible. Your springs win then and pulls the bridge back and the saddles can go low then as it goes back(your e string touching the pup). So that big of a tuning change on a floater is just not possible. It takes a spring claw adjustment. 

Do you have transcribe or something that will change the pitch of the song you are learning? 

• Members

Let me give you a translation of the above. A lower tuning means less string tension. Your Floyd needs to be set up for the different tuning, which means adjusting the springs in the body. Loosen the screws holding the claw, while the guitar is in D tuning, then retune. Retune again, making sure the Floyd stays in the proper position, then, yes you know what you are going to do, retune. Your Floyd base should be parallel to the top of the guitar. There, you have it. Now the issue is, next time you go into standard tuning, you have to redo everything. Might be easier to have another guitar, set for D tuning.

• Members
3 hours ago, bildo said:

Your floyd is on a balance between your strings tension and the trems springs tension adjusted by the claw. When setup in E STD. and all is balanced. You cannot drop to D STD. . It is not possible. Your springs win then and pulls the bridge back and the saddles can go low then as it goes back(your e string touching the pup). So that big of a tuning change on a floater is just not possible. It takes a spring claw adjustment. 

Do you have transcribe or something that will change the pitch of the song you are learning? 

Is the transcribe software or a hardware? Can you recommend one? I would rather use your method than what badpenguin suggested below. What a disappointment the floyed Rose Bridge is!!

Thank you....

• Members
27 minutes ago, badpenguin said:

Let me give you a translation of the above. A lower tuning means less string tension. Your Floyd needs to be set up for the different tuning, which means adjusting the springs in the body. Loosen the screws holding the claw, while the guitar is in D tuning, then retune. Retune again, making sure the Floyd stays in the proper position, then, yes you know what you are going to do, retune. Your Floyd base should be parallel to the top of the guitar. There, you have it. Now the issue is, next time you go into standard tuning, you have to redo everything. Might be easier to have another guitar, set for D tuning.

wow!!
Everyday I play a different song, [E] [D] Standard and I don't feel comfortable and confident doing such complex surgery inside the belly of the guitar. I did however watch others doing on YouTube. It looked straight forward but I'm not taking any risks.
Thank you for your suggestion.

• Members
8 hours ago, blunt_force said:

Is the transcribe software or a hardware? Can you recommend one? I would rather use your method than what badpenguin suggested below. What a disappointment the floyed Rose Bridge is!!

Thank you....

Here ya go blunt.

https://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/overview.html

It is software. Don't be disappointed with the floyd. Just part of a floating trem and all have that issue. 

You could look into a tremsetter 

https://hipshotproducts.com/products/tremsetter

I use them and they work great. You can dial it in so you can go back and forth. It does change the feel of the trem and you have a center detent to get used to. 

Try transcribe for your learning. It is good for standard tuning too! you can loop and slow down without pitch change...all kinds of good things for learning songs. 

• Members
8 hours ago, blunt_force said:

wow!!
Everyday I play a different song, [E] [D] Standard and I don't feel comfortable and confident doing such complex surgery inside the belly of the guitar. I did however watch others doing on YouTube. It looked straight forward but I'm not taking any risks.
Thank you for your suggestion.

Complex surgery?

Its just a few screws and springs. Guitars are really simple machines and you really have to work to screw one up permanently.  

Watch a few vids, ask some questions here and get tweaking. You can do it.

• Members
14 hours ago, bildo said:

Here ya go blunt.

https://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/overview.html

It is software. Don't be disappointed with the floyd. Just part of a floating trem and all have that issue. 

You could look into a tremsetter 

https://hipshotproducts.com/products/tremsetter

I use them and they work great. You can dial it in so you can go back and forth. It does change the feel of the trem and you have a center detent to get used to. 

Try transcribe for your learning. It is good for standard tuning too! you can loop and slow down without pitch change...all kinds of good things for learning songs. 

I like the Tremsetter  solution but the caveat is I would lose the whammy bar function.

• Members
26 minutes ago, blunt_force said:

I like the Tremsetter  solution but the caveat is I would lose the whammy bar function.

No you will not. Once you dial in the wheels on the back. You will still have trem action both ways. You will just feel a definite stop at center. You will learn to either go down from that stop on your bar drops, and up for rises from that center. You will lose that both sides of center wiggle. 

Archived