Friday is NGD

wkendhacker

• Moderators

I'd be curious how you go about convincing your better half that this was a necessary purchase...My process for the last 20 years is the guitars 'pay for themselves' out of gig money...YMMV...

but H[Almost depending on wifey's reaction ]NGD...

• Members
11 hours ago, wkendhacker said:

Allegedly. I’m supposed to pick up the new Martin OME Cherry. Fingers crossed. Oh, I haven’t exactly shared the good news with the wife yet. Still working on a strategy. 

Well I wish you the very best of luck.

• Members
14 hours ago, daddymack said:

I'd be curious how you go about convincing your better half that this was a necessary purchase...My process for the last 20 years is the guitars 'pay for themselves' out of gig money...YMMV...

but H[Almost depending on wifey's reaction ]NGD...

I used that excuse for years, until I gave up playing live. 
This time, I have a three step strategy. 
1. Tell her “in passing” that I have a slight twist in the neck of my Takamine, which is true. I’ve never had mire than three guitars at a time, and I was always careful to make sure she knew the differences. 
2. Tell her I need to buy a new one. She’s been with me long enough to know that there’s a difference between wanting a guitar that I like, and “needing” one. 
3. explain why I had to go ahead and buy, because I got a heck of a deal from year end specials. This step will be today or tomorrow.

• Members
3 hours ago, wkendhacker said:

I used that excuse for years, until I gave up playing live. 
This time, I have a three step strategy. 
1. Tell her “in passing” that I have a slight twist in the neck of my Takamine, which is true. I’ve never had mire than three guitars at a time, and I was always careful to make sure she knew the differences. 
2. Tell her I need to buy a new one. She’s been with me long enough to know that there’s a difference between wanting a guitar that I like, and “needing” one. 
3. explain why I had to go ahead and buy, because I got a heck of a deal from year end specials. This step will be today or tomorrow.

4. Beg for mercy.

• Members

Some years ago I bought a guitar from a guy who lives in the area. He gave me very specific instructions on where to park, and which door to knock on when I arrived. He had me park in front of the neighbor’s house and walk through some trees to a side door that entered his garage. He opened the door and we walked through the garage into the basement. I bought the guitar at a great price. I asked him why I basically had to sneak in. He said his wife has no idea how many guitars he owns and he did not want her to find out. If she knew he was selling one, but still had the couple that she knew about, he would get in trouble. Ha. 
Oh, and he was selling the guitar I bought so he could buy a Taylor T5.

• Members

you guys must be doing something terribly wrong...    reading this makes me sad and im wondering if any of you need some pointers on this thing?    here at the sanctuary, if i even mention liking an instrument it materializes...   example, we walked into a music store to purchase two sets of strings and she sees three washburn spalted acoustics... “hey” she says, “what do you think of these?  would you use one playing out?”.   i picked through them and found one i liked the sound of and shook it out a bit...    “yes, this one isnt as figured but it sounds better to me”...    and i put it back on the rack adding that i really dont need another fiddle...  completed my purchase and we left. three days later she walked into my office with a brown leather washburn guitar case and says “i hope you like the case, i already know you like the guitar...  see you tonight”...   you know, perhaps that twenty years as a behavioral therapist has a little something to do with this?

or maybe i just got lucky...    either way im poasting here instead of practicing on my guqin...  later...

• Moderators

you, oh benevolent one, are truly blessed with a wife who understands GAS...mine was fine with my 'collection', she even 'added' my electric violin, until it overflowed out of its 'storage area'... and it has grown since. There are definitely a few I could live without, but the thought of expending the effort to sell them off is anathema...

• Members

If I were concerned that wife might be less than supportive of NGD, I think I'd latch on to it on a Monday.

Give her 5 days of work week to bubble down.... Friday gives her whole weekend to "emote", "share her feelings", etc

• Members

I survived it. She, my daughter, and 3 year old grand daughter we’re gathered in the kitchen when I told her. I had already gone through steps 1&2. I’m sure she knew what was coming, having been through this exercise before. Her response was (almost verbatim)

”oh really? That’s nice. By the way, we are going shopping (wife and daughter) and we need you to watch Vivian today. 
Everybody wins. 

Archived