Quietly returning and Martin OME cherry

wkendhacker

• Members

I was somewhat active here some years ago. I wasn’t one of the more famous post-ers, so don’t expect to remember me. I usually stayed quiet. During my downtime, A strange thing happened. I became a fan of Martin guitars. I know, that’s not strange, it’s the guitar that everybody at least respects. 
I respected them, but never found one that I cared for. I play fingerstyle so much that I have to periodically make myself flatpick. And I’m a terrible flat picker. 
For years I was a Breedlove and Taylor fan. Until now. Breedlove guitars simply changed significantly, I guess in part because Bedell purchased them, and I always thought Taylor’s were overpriced. 
Anyway, I started looking at OM sized guitars of other makers. Long story short, the Martin OME Cherry stopped me dead in my tracks. I simply have to have one. 
Anyway, thanks for hanging around while I was gone. Good to see names that I remember from years ago. 

• Members

The old strategy of leaving the action high and expecting the store to do the final setup to the owners style is both an excellent idea and the reason that many people walk around thinking they're overrated.

I think if they haven't already done it they should reverse this and make them as perfect to play as possible. 

• Members
2 hours ago, Grant Harding said:

Welcome back, BTW. I used to be called Koiwoi. 😎

I remember you! I need to change my name. Originally I was RKO, which I created by hitting 3 random keys. For some reason I can’t remember I had to rename myself or rejoin. At the time I was gigging hard as a keyboard player in a couple of bands. Stopped doing that about 5 years ago when I finally realized I didn’t like staying out till 3am. 

• Members
7 hours ago, wkendhacker said:

Played it. Why? Did you find it lacking?

I've never played the model. I asked because you did not specifically state that your opinion is based upon listening (playing). These various forums are at the brim with people who let their eyes do the buying and then suffer remorse when their Gibsons...er...Taylors...er...tone-deficient guitars bushwhack their ears.

With the iterations of this particular site I've had a couple previous forum names that died with the succeeded versions. I remember RKO but only just now I've learned my various guesses for the initials were needless. Thanks. I can now die an unfettered death.

Of the more recent Martin line-up I've had experience playing none of them have made my wallet nervous. You mention Breedlove lacking with their more recent output. I wouldn't know anything about that but in the past I always held them in higher esteem than any mass-produced builder's output. That's strictly from a sound perspective but, if I was to also commend them for build savvy thinking, the internal body truss is a great inclusion and preventive measure against future bellying. The concert model I had was equipped with it and it did not impede the sound (to my ear). But, it left the building so obviously it lacked in some manner.

Good to see you back.

• Members
15 minutes ago, Idunno said:

Thanks. I can now die an unfettered death.

Happy to be of service. 😉

the OME Cherry was the point at which I realized that there is at least one (3 or 4, actually) Martins that I love. I live in Kentucky which means Martin Dreads are almost legally required. 
IMO, Breedloves were great guitars, particularly at the price points. I once played a Masterclass which literally gave me a chill. I’ve owned 4 or so Breedloves over the years and currently have a Breedlove Solo Nylon hybrid that is a fine guitar for the money. The new ones don’t sing to me.

This probably won’t make sense to anybody but me, but I spent a long time trying to turn a bologna sandwich into a steak dinner. I can try to convince myself that it’s so, but the reality is that it just doesn’t work that way. 

• Members
21 hours ago, wkendhacker said:

Happy to be of service. 😉

the OME Cherry was the point at which I realized that there is at least one (3 or 4, actually) Martins that I love. I live in Kentucky which means Martin Dreads are almost legally required. 
IMO, Breedloves were great guitars, particularly at the price points. I once played a Masterclass which literally gave me a chill. I’ve owned 4 or so Breedloves over the years and currently have a Breedlove Solo Nylon hybrid that is a fine guitar for the money. The new ones don’t sing to me.

This probably won’t make sense to anybody but me, but I spent a long time trying to turn a bologna sandwich into a steak dinner. I can try to convince myself that it’s so, but the reality is that it just doesn’t work that way. 

Turning a sows ear into a silk purse?

I lived in Shelbyville, KY, for a short time and will agree with you about dreads. I attended some Saturday jam sessions with old grizzled farmers who brought Martin D-41's but barely managed to keep up with a few basic songs, meaning they were satisfied by having the gear and playing it was up for discussion. The Kentucky Thumbpickers jams on Friday nights in Louisville were more entertaining. A bunch of seasoned players frequented the event and lead the newer players in rounds in different rooms (church cellar). That was also dreadnaught central. I was the odd man out with a Larrivee OMV-09E and everyone wanted to play it like it was some kind of new-fangled design.

• Members
2 hours ago, Idunno said:

Turning a sows ear into a silk purse?

I lived in Shelbyville, KY, for a short time and will agree with you about dreads. I attended some Saturday jam sessions with old grizzled farmers who brought Martin D-41's but barely managed to keep up with a few basic songs, meaning they were satisfied by having the gear and playing it was up for discussion. The Kentucky Thumbpickers jams on Friday nights in Louisville were more entertaining. A bunch of seasoned players frequented the event and lead the newer players in rounds in different rooms (church cellar). That was also dreadnaught central. I was the odd man out with a Larrivee OMV-09E and everyone wanted to play it like it was some kind of new-fangled design.

Yeah, there are a lot of gear collectors around. I have an old friend who first decided he wanted to learn to play guitar, so he Bought a D-28 and as far as I know has yet to take it out of the case. It’s been 10 years that I know of. He later decided that he would learn to play piano. He went to a local store and spent $7000 on a top of the line Roland and a small PA system to play it through. Believe it or not, he is a very intelligent guy. Not a gear collector so much as someone who sees no reason to buy junk. The Roland was overkill, even for him. There are any number of great digital pianos that would have been far better for him, but unfortunately, I guess the guy in the store only sold Roland and needed the money. I haven’t seen the guy in a couple of years, but I’d be surprised if he did still have the equipment unused in his house. 

I forgot to address the silk purse thing. Yes. I spent a long time convincing myself that I could find great guitars for $500-$700. Like most of the Breedloves I owned. They were very good guitars at their price point. I had to finally figure out for myself that I wouldn’t be satisfied until I bought a real guitar. I gigged for years with a midrange Tak. Still have it. It’s fine for the loud small bar crowd, but like the rest, it doesn’t satisfy me. 
Ive seen a lot of folks on forums like this talk about the amazing sounds they get out of their (fill in the blank) guitar. I did the same thing. At the end of the day, a good guitar is going to cost what a good guitar costs. 

• Members

You can justify and save money all of your playing days and then find something that blows the philosophy out of the water. But, what it comes down to is the who and where the sound is being focused upon. If it was strictly me, and these days it is, I buy what makes me smile. If it's for an audience then I'd compromise personal preference and get an all weather interceptor of a guitar.  Quite honestly, I've played some of those (carbon fiber put-ups) that give good enough to an audience that isn't in my music room listening to my preferred sound. That's one thing an audience will never experience - sonic contrasts of guitars - so why sweat it?

I play a Yamaha classical plugged a lot and probably more so than the steel string I have. Plugged into the right amp I'm happy with the sound and wouldn't hesitate to jam with it anywhere for any purpose. The steel string has a fine sound and satisfies music nylon can't. So, best of both cheap and notsocheap. The steel string is a jumbo concert.

I read about forum members asking which guitar is the best for (insert price). Best and cheap is usually the inquirer's point. I get it: For nothing what can I get that sounds like something? This is when a forum becomes the expose' of mass inexperience it really is. It's a never-ending inquest for spending wisely in a wholly subjective realm. Even seemingly sensible responses are nullified by their relative subjectivity.

So, buyers with zero experience and means take the high road to vet their best chances of success. It's a logic, of sorts, but it doesn't really apply. I bought my son a Yamaha synth - full 88 keys - and would bet the Roland can't best it with an experienced player.

• Members
3 hours ago, Idunno said:

You can justify and save money all of your playing days and then find something that blows the philosophy out of the water. But, what it comes down to is the who and where the sound is being focused upon. If it was strictly me, and these days it is, I buy what makes me smile. If it's for an audience then I'd compromise personal preference and get an all weather interceptor of a guitar.  Quite honestly, I've played some of those (carbon fiber put-ups) that give good enough to an audience that isn't in my music room listening to my preferred sound. That's one thing an audience will never experience - sonic contrasts of guitars - so why sweat it?

I play a Yamaha classical plugged a lot and probably more so than the steel string I have. Plugged into the right amp I'm happy with the sound and wouldn't hesitate to jam with it anywhere for any purpose. The steel string has a fine sound and satisfies music nylon can't. So, best of both cheap and notsocheap. The steel string is a jumbo concert.

I read about forum members asking which guitar is the best for (insert price). Best and cheap is usually the inquirer's point. I get it: For nothing what can I get that sounds like something? This is when a forum becomes the expose' of mass inexperience it really is. It's a never-ending inquest for spending wisely in a wholly subjective realm. Even seemingly sensible responses are nullified by their relative subjectivity.

So, buyers with zero experience and means take the high road to vet their best chances of success. It's a logic, of sorts, but it doesn't really apply. I bought my son a Yamaha synth - full 88 keys - and would bet the Roland can't best it with an experienced player.

Re the Yamaha versus Roland synths, Yamaha is as good or better than most. Just like their acoustic guitars, they generally dominate the price point.  When I finally quit gigging, I got rid of all of my keyboards and synths. I decided to buy a digital piano for home use. I decided that I would like some expanded functionality, more presets, some sequencing, etc. The unit that beat checks all the boxes for me is the Yamaha DGX-660. It’s an amazing instrument for under $800. Several hundred voices, effects, sequencing, etc. It’s hard to go wrong with a Yamaha keyboard. 
You and I have similar guitar habits. MyTak steel string is probably low middle in terms of quality and sound. It’s guitar that was bought to be knocked around at bars and restaurant patios. Also like you, I play the Breedlove nylon plugged in quite a bit. 
I guess for me at least, the process of buying cheap and hoping for a million dollar sound is an evolutionary process. Getting the most for the least is something we all do. Heck, I could buy the Clapton 000 Martin for a little under $4000, but it seems unnecessary. In a year or two or five, the difference may be worth it to me. But for now the OME is the sweet spot of cost and quality. 

Archived