Christmas repertoire challenge

skmarshall

• Members

I do the Christy Moore version of Fairytail of New York but this year a family illness meant I had to fly to the UK and miss performing this Christmas  and when I reflect on those missed gigs I keep coming back to the fact that I won't play that song again until next year. 

• Members

"Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" because I love hearing Leilani (wife & duo partner) sing it.

"Silver Bells" because it's fun doing a call/response duet with her.

And for the dozen or so others we play every year, I'll miss the holiday gigs, with the festive spirit. Of course, coming up is Valentine's Day and then the annual Patty Parties. :D

Since our audience is of mixed religions, we don't do any religious songs, only the secular ones. We feel in this situation it's better to be inclusive than exclusive.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Members

Happy Holidays as well.

I'll miss playing This Christmas. Great melody and cool chords, and I like the way the musical interlude alternates between a bar of four and a bar of three. Donny Hathaway sings it in F, but even in D it's a little high - I sometimes hit the "A", while trying to keep it lounge volume. Anyway, I'll miss that one. Maybe the instrumental version of Christmastime Is Here, because I can play jazz without getting yelled at! 

BTW: I played a Jazz Vespers show a year or so ago and the singer did a Soul version of Mary Did You Know - good tune. 

Archived