Headphone practice rig?

SmoggyTwinkles

• Members

Many multi effect pedals have combination Line Level Headphone outputs. You can simply plug your headphones and guitar in and play all you want.

Cool part is most have amp/cab modeling so you can essentially build any type of amp you want then go ahead and add Chorus , Echo, Reverb, Noise reduction etc. 

I'd suggest you try and find something like a Digitec RP 150. They have a built in drum machine and stereo output. Its even got a USB interface for recording direct to a computer. Only the RP150 has the built in interface.  Other models may have drum machines but not the built in interface so download and read the specs.  I picked up a used one for $35 on ebay. I might have had to buy an adaptor for $10 which is unique to those units. 

Zoom makes similar units like the G1 ON.  Zoom units have excellent drum quality by the way, extremely realistic, I use them all the time recording.  Delta Lab, Art, Rockteck Vox, Boss,  Line 6,  Korg etc all have their plusses and minuses and sell units from budget version to pro quality.  You'll need to shop carefully. 

If you aren't worried about having drums the Vox Stomplab G1 is an excellent buy.  I've used one for a couple of years now and still haven't explored all the possibilities.

Another option you can use is you have a decent set of guitar pedals you use with your amp, you can place a Cab emulator between your pedals and a headphone amp and the cab emulator will color the sound to match different guitar cabs.  Pedals without this kind of coloration can sound raw as hell because they are designed to run through a guitar amp and its mainly the guitar speakers with their limited frequency response that roll off the highs and lows. 

Another option is to buy one of those mini amps that run on batteries. Most have a headphone out and a high gain setting for drive.  The sound quality is typically dry however.  If you were to put a drive then echo or verb before it the sound would be allot better. 

There are a ton of other options too.  Even my Drum Machines like the Zoom 123, 223, 234 have headphone outputs. You can use the guitar input on the unit and balance the guitar level with the stereo drums and sound like you're playing with a real drummer.  You can even program a bass part on the and have a 3 piece band going.  Again you can use whatever effects you want before the unit to gain up the guitar and add effects.   

• 1 month later...
  • Members

So would a cab-simulator pedal type thing work?

I'd be fine just getting a cheap SS practice amp, but from what I've read they don't sound great through phones.

Right now I load up Cubase and plug my pedals into my Tascam USB interface and use the Cubase amp/cab sims, and it doesn't sound great, but it's ok'ish, just a bother to set-up when I just want to play for a little bit at night.

I really only care about getting a decent sound from guitar to pedal board to headphones and if that was possible with one device especially a small form factor thing that would be ideal.

Like what about the Hotone cab sim pedal, it has headphone out jack, would that be about the same as going into my pc software or a practice amp like a roland cube or boss katana etc?

Thanks for the help :)

• Members

I second the Vox Amplug. I have 2- I use the Lead for rock and Twin for jazz. Lead has a digital delay with gobs of high gain so it goes from fairly clean through rock to screaming. The Twin is like a Roland Jazz Chorus amp - it has a built-in chorus that works well enough for mellow stuff. When I get creative I go through a looper pedal, so it is possible to work with pedals if needed.

• 1 month later...

Archived