Help me choose from Godin family of guitars...

• Members

I have narrowed down my choices to the following, all discontinued I think, but hope to find some on the web: Seagull Maritime SWS Rosewood; Simon & Patrick Showcase Rosewood; Seagull Artist Studio QII; Norman ST 68. I chose these because I prefer spruce top and rosewood back and sides.

Also, I already have in my possession a Martin Sigma SDR 28, which is spruce and rosewood, and all solid wood. How would this compare to those guitars I listed above? Would you prefer to have this Sigma or one of the above?

This is a very important decision for me -- probably the last guitar I'll ever get.

Two more questions: Would the quality and tone of a Seagull Artist Studio or Norman ST68 be as much above a Seagull Maritime SWS so as to justify the extra cost? Also, if you already had a Sigma SDR 28 solid wood, would you trade it in or sell it to buy the aforementioned Seagull Artist or Norman?

Thanks so much to all who respond!

• Like 1
  • Members

Hey Troubador, and welcome to the forum. 

I have a Seagull Artist Studio Burst, and it's a really lovely guitar - to look at & play. I went casually looking for a Studio Artist, the OM size, and ended up with a 2008. I was surprised it's a full dread'. Now I've always been a dread' man, but as I inch grudgingly towards being a dead man, I'm a big OM fan. I have a selection of smaller sizes, and the Seagull was such a deal (price of a case & came with a like-new Tric) I couldn't resist. Detail/build quality, play ability, and tone are all totl imo. 

I had an EIR & a mahogany OM Larrivée, same model, and they were so similar I let the EIR go. I really couldn't tell which was in my lap, without looking to see which one wasn't. Seems to be more a shape/volume of body thing that makes a tonal difference for my ear. A bit of a wood freak, I do prefer the look of rosewood tho. 

The smaller OM body style makes for a really comfortable couch guitar. Old shoulders, back and neck really appreciate the inch here, inch there, difference. Tone & projection are excellent. 

If you like the Godin line, as I do, might want to spend some time with a Larrivée if the opportunity presents. Mine will be pried from my cold dead hands. Jean's really the premier Canadian guitar manufacturer for me. Even tho he moved to Oxnard, people like Manzer, Thompson, Wren, Iannone, Laskin, Kronbauer, Bond ... all carry on the tradition. Hard to beat a new, or used, Larrivée for value. Both came in (minty to mint with ohsc) at about $750 USD. Their customer service is the best of the best - new or used. 

Last guitar? Unless you're in a real hurry, I would play every guitar available until one excites you. My favorite guitars are the ones that I felt called to purchase. I thought my Custom Furch would be my last guitar. I guess Jean's flawless build quality/balanced tone/cs has spoiled me. Furch (qc) wasn't even a keeper -- a dozen guitars ago. 

Jmo, I'm no expert. 

Enjoy your quest, and Season's Greetings!

49223308601_29c9daa650_w.jpg

48167645217_1732302a0a.jpg

48167566046_10c3fb6075.jpg

Edit: Artist/ST68/Martime query -- no clue, and I quit trading in. I wait to see if it still gets played. Can't have too many guitars imo. Cases otoh ... 

If you're looking for comfortable, bevels rock!

49233413267_4d514d7383_w.jpg

Edited by Blind Dog
I'm old & feeble minded.
  • Members

Hello and welcome.

I don't think buying a guitar based on its specification is a reliable guide to how it will play and sound. You really need to try out individual guitars because they have their particular nuances.

BTW - many early Sigma guitars (MIJ or MIK) were very good instruments so I think it's doubly important that you try out prospective purchases.

• Members
7 hours ago, garthman said:

Hello and welcome.

I don't think buying a guitar based on its specification is a reliable guide to how it will play and sound. You really need to try out individual guitars because they have their particular nuances.

BTW - many early Sigma guitars (MIJ or MIK) were very good instruments so I think it's doubly important that you try out prospective purchases.

I know you're right. But the nearest guitar store to me is a 2-hour drive. I do intend to make that trip soon.

• Members
3 hours ago, DeepEnd said:

Hi and welcome to the Forum. A friend has a Norman B20 (spruce/cherry) that I like a lot. Be forewarned that his guitar has a very thin neck, which might or might not be your cup of tea.

I wonder if all Normans have a thin neck like that.

• Members
15 hours ago, Blind Dog said:

Hey Troubador, and welcome to the forum. 

I have a Seagull Artist Studio Burst, and it's a really lovely guitar - to look at & play. I went casually looking for a Studio Artist, the OM size, and ended up with a 2008. I was surprised it's a full dread'. Now I've always been a dread' man, but as I inch grudgingly towards being a dead man, I'm a big OM fan. I have a selection of smaller sizes, and the Seagull was such a deal (price of a case & came with a like-new Tric) I couldn't resist. Detail/build quality, play ability, and tone are all totl imo. 

I had an EIR & a mahogany OM Larrivée, same model, and they were so similar I let the EIR go. I really couldn't tell which was in my lap, without looking to see which one wasn't. Seems to be more a shape/volume of body thing that makes a tonal difference for my ear. A bit of a wood freak, I do prefer the look of rosewood tho. 

The smaller OM body style makes for a really comfortable couch guitar. Old shoulders, back and neck really appreciate the inch here, inch there, difference. Tone & projection are excellent. 

If you like the Godin line, as I do, might want to spend some time with a Larrivée if the opportunity presents. Mine will be pried from my cold dead hands. Jean's really the premier Canadian guitar manufacturer for me. Even tho he moved to Oxnard, people like Manzer, Thompson, Wren, Iannone, Laskin, Kronbauer, Bond ... all carry on the tradition. Hard to beat a new, or used, Larrivée for value. Both came in (minty to mint with ohsc) at about $750 USD. Their customer service is the best of the best - new or used. 

Last guitar? Unless you're in a real hurry, I would play every guitar available until one excites you. My favorite guitars are the ones that I felt called to purchase. I thought my Custom Furch would be my last guitar. I guess Jean's flawless build quality/balanced tone/cs has spoiled me. Furch (qc) wasn't even a keeper -- a dozen guitars ago. 

Jmo, I'm no expert. 

Enjoy your quest, and Season's Greetings!

49223308601_29c9daa650_w.jpg

48167645217_1732302a0a.jpg

48167566046_10c3fb6075.jpg

Edit: Artist/ST68/Martime query -- no clue, and I quit trading in. I wait to see if it still gets played. Can't have too many guitars imo. Cases otoh ... 

If you're looking for comfortable, bevels rock!

49233413267_4d514d7383_w.jpg

Thanks for the detailed and informative post, and the pics. I'll be looking at some Larrivees. Thanks for the tip.

• Members
6 hours ago, Troubador said:

I know you're right. But the nearest guitar store to me is a 2-hour drive. I do intend to make that trip soon.

A 2 hour drive is a small thing if you are considering buying a costly guitar that you hope you will enjoy immensely and last you a lifetime.

• Like 1
  • Members
13 hours ago, garthman said:

A 2 hour drive is a small thing if you are considering buying a costly guitar that you hope you will enjoy immensely and last you a lifetime.

I agree, although a lifetime for me now is not nearly as long as it used to be.   :)

• Members
9 hours ago, Troubador said:

I agree, although a lifetime for me now is not nearly as long as it used to be.   :)

LOL I know what you mean .  .  .  .  .  . I'm 70 but I'd still drive for 2 hours to play a guitar before buying.

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Troubador said:

Are we allowed to offer guitars for sale on this forum?

While there are a few dedicated for sale / trade threads in some of the forums, your best bet is the HC classifieds. Please feel free to post your WTB and FS posts there - but we do ask that you keep all for sale / want to buy posts out of the general discussion forums - again with the exception of the few forums where there are dedicated FS / FT / WTB threads on the site. 

If you have any questions on our policies, please don't hesitate to ask - either here, or via PM. :wave: 

• Members
Posted (edited)

I've probably played one or more of those guitars but if memory doesn't serve then they weren't memorable. In all of these inquiries I steer a buyer towards Yamaha's line-up. If there's nothing that company has to satisfy the buyer's wants or needs, then it probably isn't made by anyone else, either. I don't extrapolate sound by mentally sorting out species of woods and what I think they should sound like. I think that's a lot of forum-indoctrinated nonsense by inexperienced people, seasoned with aesthetics and quantified by a lot of parroting. It comes down to the quality of the build of the guitar itself, the strings and set-up thereafter.

Edited by Idunno
  • Members
16 hours ago, Phil O'Keefe said:

While there are a few dedicated for sale / trade threads in some of the forums, your best bet is the HC classifieds. Please feel free to post your WTB and FS posts there - but we do ask that you keep all for sale / want to buy posts out of the general discussion forums - again with the exception of the few forums where there are dedicated FS / FT / WTB threads on the site. 

If you have any questions on our policies, please don't hesitate to ask - either here, or via PM. :wave: 

Thanks, Phil!

• Like 1
  • Members
2 hours ago, Idunno said:

I've probably played one or more of those guitars but if memory doesn't serve then they weren't memorable. In all of these inquiries I steer a buyer towards Yamaha's line-up. If there's nothing that company has to satisfy the buyer's wants or needs, then it probably isn't made by anyone else, either. I don't extrapolate sound by mentally sorting out species of woods and what I think they should sound like. I think that's a lot of forum-indoctrinated nonsense by inexperienced people, seasoned with aesthetics and quantified by a lot of parroting. It comes down to the quality of the build of the guitar itself, the strings and set-up thereafter.

Thank you for the suggestion. I've played several Yamahas and didn't like them. But of course there may be one I didn't try that I would like.