Extreme Pubescent vocal change cracking

Shaesinging

• Members

I am a vocal coach and I have a 14 year old Male student who has had extreme vocal breaking/cracking for over a year. 

When he first came, he ad a vocal range of about just over 1 octave and couldn't produce any sound above his mid-upper chest voice. Now he is able to produce a very breathy falsetto but there's still a big gap of about 5 notes inbetween chest and head that he can't produce. His voice just breaks apart no matter what we try.

I have suggested they visit an ENT for a laryngoscopy but it's obvious they won't. He also doesnt really do his vocal exercises at home so that's not helping.

Does anyone have any advice as to why his voice would have such extreme cracking for such a long period of time, and any suggestions for exercises to help remedy the situation.

Cheers

Shae

• Moderators

At 14, 'cracking' is not uncommon as there are a number of changes going on in the adolescent male body, not the least of which is hormonal.  There is no set timing for this and it can go on for well over a year or longer. 

However, if he will not practice, he will not improve. There is no short cut, and, if he thinks there is, I suggest you explain that to him in no uncertain terms. I saw this often teaching adolescents guitar and piano, and terminated the relationship with the admonishment that I could put all the information needed into the student's head, but I could not make it go to their hands; that was their responsibility. The same is true for your student. If he won't do the work, there is no point continuing to teach.

To be fair, a 14 year-old boy has many things on his mind, least of which is repetitious exercises. Perhaps it is better to let him work through his new 'demons', and have him opt to return in a year or two when he is more focused on what he wants.

• Moderators

I think it's pretty normal for 14 year old male singer's voice to crack since the body is going through some drastic changes. The voice is bound to have some instability. It may take another year or two for it to settle down. For the time-being, I would refrain from working the full voice with too wide of a range. Also, the quality of a singer's falsetto is usually a good overall indicator of the voice's condition. I recommend working on his falsetto/pure head voice register and try to get it to ring as clear as possible. Once he is able to do so, then proceed to blend that register downward from top to bottom. Over time you should notice the gap in the voice gradually get closer. Hope this helps.

Archived