High gain mini heads

Axemankd1

• Members

*Attention Guitarists!*
I need your opinion. 
I'm looking at medium to high gain tube mini heads: at least 2 footswitchable channels, 15‐20 watts under $700 range. (So no Mesa Boogie unfortunately)
So far I like PRS MT-15, Peavey 6505MH(also the invective), Hughes and Kettner Tubmeister 18 (or 20).

I also checked out evh 5150 iii, Which had more gain than I need and not clean enough on the clean channel. Also checked out models by blackstar and Orange.   What are your thoughts? What's the best amp? 

• Members

Bugera makes some nice mini Tube Heads. My buddy Mark May from the Dickie Betts band  uses the larger Bugera amps playing out live.  He has two and uses both for large shows.  The tone goes from clean to blues to saturated.  Of course you can use a pedal for most any amp to get the exact tones you want. 

Fender makes a new Super Champ tube head that's 50W.  With a good High SPL speaker it would probably sound great. Its got amp voicings for the various Fender amp types.  Gain would likely be your Typical Fender saturation, great for classic rock and blues but not quite high gain territory.  Clean tones are usually pretty good on fenders however and thay should take any pedals you want for re-voicing and saturation.  

Vox makes a AC15 head for around $600,  Randal, Egnater, PRS Randall, all have them.

I'm partial to Marshall myself. I love that touch and tone you get. No other amp does it.  If I had $600 I'd get the Origin50H 50W Tube Guitar Amp Head no questions asked. 

The 50W Marshall Plexi was the best guitar head I've owned. Great for playing live but they don't kill you like 100W versions do.  

This model lets you dial back the wattage so you're set for playing at any volume needed.   It doesn't have channel switching but it does have FX loop switching.  You could put your drive and time based effects in the loop and switch them.   

Archived