Let's talk about recording on a computer...

RaVenCAD

• Members
Just now, Phil O'Keefe said:

They did come out with a Mac version, but as a longtime Sound Forge PC user (for mastering), I was somewhat disappointed - it's not just a port of the PC program - it's a completely new program, and not as fully developed. It may meet your needs, but for professional mastering purposes, it's not quite up to that IMHO - at least not the last time I checked. 

I used it for creating weird sounds back in the late 90s when I was making animations using Macromedia Director.  I did a demo movie for a customer and they were big Star Wars fans.  So, I made my own version of the old THX opening animation by taking the old Windows "Ding" sound, reversing it, applying a few filters, reversed it again, slowed it down, split it, mirrored it, gained it, and added some echo.  It actually sounded cooler than the original THX sound.  I need to find that old thing..

1 minute ago, RaVenCAD said:

I used it for creating weird sounds back in the late 90s when I was making animations using Macromedia Director.  I did a demo movie for a customer and they were big Star Wars fans.  So, I made my own version of the old THX opening animation by taking the old Windows "Ding" sound, reversing it, applying a few filters, reversed it again, slowed it down, split it, mirrored it, gained it, and added some echo.  It actually sounded cooler than the original THX sound.  I need to find that old thing..

Awesome! I would love to hear it if you do... :snax: 

You can do some of those sorts of things with the Mac version of Sound Forge, but again, it's just not as fully-featured yet as the PC program is. I just checked (see the link) and it does look like they've added some more to it since the last time I tried it, so you might want to have a look at their website and see what you think. 

• Members
20 hours ago, Phil O'Keefe said:

Awesome! I would love to hear it if you do... :snax: 

You can do some of those sorts of things with the Mac version of Sound Forge, but again, it's just not as fully-featured yet as the PC program is. I just checked (see the link) and it does look like they've added some more to it since the last time I tried it, so you might want to have a look at their website and see what you think. 

Oh that looks very nice.  $300 though...  Ouch..  

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

So a while back I purchased a Line 6 POD HD500X..  Cool device, but pretty obsolete now that I'm using Bias FX2 for my direct guitar tones..  But, something I forgot about is that the HD500X included Cubase 10 LE.  I installed it on my Windows laptop when I got the HD500X but I never really used it because the HD500X drivers constantly crash Windows.. But you get a Windows version AND a Mac version of it..  I installed it on my Mac and it's working great now. I can save my files to my home network and work on them from either machine if i want to.  So I think my DAW is sorted now.  Pretty cool.. One great thing about having the HD500X in addition to the Motu is that it adds more inputs.. It's got a 1/4" input, plus it's got a mic input.  The Mac drivers for the HD500X aren't trash like the ones for Windows, so it runs flawlessly on there. I haven't tried running both at once, but I saw a website that explains how to do that.

Still haven't added a mic yet. A buddy loaned me a couple to play around with. I'm also looking to add a midi controller to my rig at some point.. Thinking about the Akai MPK mini..

Anywho, that's my update.. Recording is fun, deep, money pit.. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Well I went shopping again and I added an Arturia Keylab Essential 49 MIDI controller to my rig.  Having a lot of fun with it so far, but I have zero piano skills.  Looks like I'm learning another instrument.  I also have to build/buy myself a riser for my desk.  The Arturia doesn't quite work in my keyboard drawer.  It fits, but the drawer doesn't come out far enough to use the controls effectively.  Still loving Cubase..  Haven't ran into any limitations other than trying to get the Arturia fully functional.  The transport controls did NOT want to do anything until I switched it from Mackie to HUI.  No idea wtf that meant, but I did it and they started working..  The jog wheel still doesn't move the cursor though.  Sure would love to make it work.  Anyone got a clue?

• Members
2 hours ago, RaVenCAD said:

The transport controls did NOT want to do anything until I switched it from Mackie to HUI.  No idea wtf that meant, but I did it and they started working..  The jog wheel still doesn't move the cursor though.  Sure would love to make it work.  Anyone got a clue?

I had to do something similar with my Korg MicroKontrol and Reaper. Since there's no pre-programmed "setup" for the MicroKontrol, I had to go in and map each button to it's function. Yes, it's kind of a hassle, but once it's done and you've saved the configuration it loads automatically. I learned how to do it from a YouTube video, your best bet is to look for some Cubase tutorials on YouTube. 

A quick search for "Cubase program controller" turned up this: 

• Members
16 hours ago, Mr.Grumpy said:

I had to do something similar with my Korg MicroKontrol and Reaper. Since there's no pre-programmed "setup" for the MicroKontrol, I had to go in and map each button to it's function. Yes, it's kind of a hassle, but once it's done and you've saved the configuration it loads automatically. I learned how to do it from a YouTube video, your best bet is to look for some Cubase tutorials on YouTube. 

A quick search for "Cubase program controller" turned up this: 

The only problem is that I don't know what to assign the jog wheel to.  What command moves the cursor?

• Members

Great that you're up and running! 

When I got set up for keys I had 2 goes at it. The first was a cheap midi controller from M-Audio and it was really not nice. There was no subtlety and there was latency that made it hard to be creative. So I bought a proper 88 key, weighted keyboard from Thomann - just their house brand, so not super $.

When I record now, I choose a tone on the keyboard that's close to what I'm after and I record that onto a separate audio channel in addition to the midi output from the keyboard. After recording,  I mute the midi channel from the monitor mix so I can't hear the latency. Then... I align the midi track to the audio channel, mute the audio channel, unmute the midi channel and choose whatever cool keyboard plugin I want. Phew... it's easier to do than describe. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Set up a watch list or search on Reverb and eBay. I got a pair of AKG 420P Perecption mics that were unused, but in an open box situation where the cellophane on the case was slightly ripped. Saved $80.

I'm using both GarageBand and Reaper. GarageBand because I know it. Reaper because it can do quite a bit. There's a learning curve, but there are some really helpful videos out there. The sad thing is that for all the time and money I spent putting my gear together, I've spent very little time actually recording.

Archived