What kind of split snakes y'all using?

• Members

I don't really use a split often, maybe a handful of times a year. Just curios...

I've got a 24x8 Proco Helix, elco detatchable with a 150' and 65' trunk. No returns on the 65' one.

and an EWI 24x8 100' with DB25's I installed (3) and 3 DB25-XLRM snakes. It was a PITA to make but worth it.

I'd like a rackmount 16ch with a 6ft and 15ft trunk for doing a poorman's and be permanently wired to a mixwiz and 6ch of EQ/amp.

• Members

mine is a medusa 12 channel that i made into a split with lifts. works very well assuming you only need 12. i do have 4 y splits with lifts if needed.

i dont own this one- but i also use a patchpanel based split hardwired to a mixwiz with no lifts and an elco'ed whip. works well but the person who made it must have made it for the front of a rack because it is backwards, channel 1 is to the far left which makes it very confusing being in the rear of the rack.

• Members

Well, he asked. :p

The Ramtech stuff has really proven to be bulletproof too. They've seen a LOT of use with very little maintenance required. Definitely a good investment. Those 3-ways have come in really handy when doing recording splits.

• Members

and an EWI 24x8 100' with DB25's I installed (3) and 3 DB25-XLRM snakes. It was a PITA to make but worth it.

How well do those DB25 stand up to use? I have thought about using them on a couple of projects, but they always seem a little weak for non-installed equipment.

• Members

Not great, the little tiny screws that mount the box end connectors like to come loose every 6 months. And I use the splits on that snake maybe 1 or 2 times a year and without 10-15 times a year. The 8ch sub snakes are nice and easy to pack. I have 2 procos and 1 noname. I need another 10ft proco (bought from GC for 1 cent).

• Members

Can't you rotate it?

nah, its a two row. if i flipped it - it would be more confusing. i could repatch the board - with 16 into 1 15 into 2 etc but this would also cause issues down the road. its a really stupid thing too, because i have built 16 channel xlr panels in 1 RU. mid atlantic makes a really good one with a 90 degree section with holes for zip ties. excellent.

the crummy two row backwards panel works ok, except its not marked at all and the elco has given me grief a few times (crackly, intermittent connections every so often). i prefer my coaster made medusa split :thu:

• Members

How well do those DB25 stand up to use? I have thought about using them on a couple of projects, but they always seem a little weak for non-installed equipment.

Horrible. period.

I use an original Rapco Venue with ELCO's and mu-metal shielded isolation transformers. 200' FOH and 30' monitor.

• Members

I use a CBI "EarSplitter". CBI makes great products, and this one is no exception. 16 channel rackmount splitter box. I had mine made with 6' and 30' whips. MixWiz at the top of the rack stays patched when in transit. ...open the lids, send one whip to the FOH stage box, and plug in mic cables to the front of the rack. The IEM mix rarely changes for us, as we bring our own mic package to each venue (whether we're providing sound or not).

Terry

Archived