Acoustic & Electric amp?

stratosaurus

• Members

Have they came out with one amp yet, that will handle an acoustic & electric accurately,  tone wise?

The latest I've read about is the Boss Katana and they say it will handle them both, but handle is a lot different the reproduce a quality sound. The amps I've tried in the past use 'modeling' and have failed miserably at reproducing a good acoustic guitar sound.  Anybody tried these amps? ....or have any other recommendations?

• Members

I have a Roland Cube 80XL that is the forerunner of your Katana. The "acoustic" setting is supposed to make an electric guitar sound "acoustic." It's not intended to be used with an acoustic guitar. Laney made an amp that had electric and acoustic channels years ago, they crop up used occasionally. Some newer Peavey amps claim to be usable with electric, acoustic, or bass but I don't have any experience with them and I'm inclined to doubt it. A keyboard amp would probably work if you had a separate set of pedals for your electric.

• Members

The Kemper does just that, plus bass amps as well. It's a high ticket solution, but worth it. Best gear money I've ever spent. 

It profiles the actual amp (or acoustic preamp) and delivers the actual sound and feel of the amp. You no longer have to cart your heavy, expensive amps to gigs. Just profile each of the settings you like and they're all in there. 

On 12/8/2019 at 8:25 AM, stratosaurus said:

Have they came out with one amp yet, that will handle an acoustic & electric accurately,  tone wise?

Yes, if you're willing to go with a modeling amp. 

The main issue is that electric guitar amps are usually bandpassed in terms of overall frequency response - guitar speakers generally only work in the range of 70Hz - 6 kHz or so, which is a big part of the "electric guitar sound" we're all familiar with. An acoustic, OTOH, tends to need a more full-range system to reproduce it accurately. Modeling amps will often have a more neutral speaker system with a wider frequency response range, and then rely on the software for tailoring the frequency response and overall sound. 

One example - the Line 6 Spider V. It has presets that are designed to be suitable with an acoustic guitar, as well as the majority of its presets, which are tailored for electric guitar use. It can work equally well with both types of guitars because of its more full-range speaker system. 

• Members
On 12/8/2019 at 1:55 PM, DeepEnd said:

I have a Roland Cube 80XL that is the forerunner of your Katana. The "acoustic" setting is supposed to make an electric guitar sound "acoustic." It's not intended to be used with an acoustic guitar. Laney made an amp that had electric and acoustic channels years ago, they crop up used occasionally. Some newer Peavey amps claim to be usable with electric, acoustic, or bass but I don't have any experience with them and I'm inclined to doubt it. A keyboard amp would probably work if you had a separate set of pedals for your electric.

The Boss Katana, unlike the Roland Cube, is meant to amplify rather than emulate the sound of an acoustic guitar.

• Members

The core issue here is that a guitar amp is the wrong device for a steel-string or classical guitar.  A guitar amp intentionally colors the sound of the instrument, and you don't want that coloration when amplifying a steel-string or classical.

The correct approach for an acoustic is to use a PA cabinet or equivalent, not a guitar amp.

In order to have a single rig for both, the best solution (IMO) is to use either a modeller/profiler or a tube head with a loadbox/cabinet simulator.  From there, go into small mixer (I use a XR12) that feeds a standard PA monitor cabinet.  Run the acoustic directly into the mixer on a separate channel from the electric feed.

Personally, I use a Bogner XTC feeding a Torpedo Live cabinet simulator, then run my acoustics direct into the board.  The board then feeds my onstage wedge monitors, and this also gives me a single feed to the FOH system.  No mics are needed onstage, which makes life a lot easier for the sound techs, and I can also mix the vocal monitor feed into my wedge(s), which cleans up the stage and helps with keeping the levels balanced.

It sounds complex at first, but once you get it set up and working properly, it actually makes setup and soundcheck very simple and easy.

Archived