Jump to content
Misha

Mackie with Onyx preamp: will go deaf + Martin DJr G.A.S.

Recommended Posts

I just got a small mixer, a Mackie 402VLZ4 with Onyx preamps and wow!!! The sound is great! 

I wanted something small and prefered a mixer to a soundcard in the past for several reasons.

I can listen/watch videos on my Ipad, keep Garage Band open on my Ipod and have an AT2020 (Audio Technica microphone) at my disposal at the same time! Quick and easy setup!

I can't believe how much the sound quality is improved when I use headphones (I tried different models, I haven't connected to external speakers, yet) compared to when I'm connected directly to a cellphone/ Ipad/Ipod, etc. I'm overwhelmed to say the least! And I can't stop listening to music!

On anorher subject, I also tried a guitar today I have GAS now: a Martin DJr-10E! Best mass production small guitar I've heard! comfortable and easy to carry! I haven't tried it plugged but there's a pickup in it! (I just found out!) 

No, it doesn't sound as big as my Taylor 324CE but it's easier to carry and less fragile. The neck is great, the size too (at least for me!) I can't justify it but... my, my, it would be fun! (And it would be my first Martin!)

 

 

 

 

 

72F1262A-A904-48D0-967B-646A4E5D85C8.jpeg

 

86F7A57E-B6E1-4E06-A34A-592C5C35DD87.png

CC7C704A-0B2C-42C3-AEF4-EA74A906A303.png

Edited by Misha
video

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wooooo. Misha!

Hi-tech stuff! I see that I shall have to ditch my little USB mic.

Resist those small guitars. Ed Sheeran has a lot to answer for ☹️

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulations. Happy New Mixer Day. 👍 A single USB microphone meets my humble needs adequately.

As for the guitar, my fellow praise band guitarist plays a Little Martin. It's okay plugged in but not my cup of espresso. I'm also a big guy and I'd look silly playing a tiny guitar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, garthman said:

Wooooo. Misha!

Hi-tech stuff! I see that I shall have to ditch my little USB mic.

Resist those small guitars. Ed Sheeran has a lot to answer for ☹️

 

Well, if it's Hi-Tech, then it's Hi-Tech but small (devices)!! I don't wan't it to take too much space!

The Dreadnought Jr sounds much bigger than a little Martin, imo! It sounds very good and for my 5'6'' would be perfect! Maybe it's just this one that sounds good. I can't say!

I'm still trying to resist though having so much medical fees helps me a lot in this way... (In Quebec, Canada, the free medical system means that you have to pay if you don't want to wait for years on a waiting list. I use a mix of both private and public medical services, this way I wait a bit less.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DeepEnd said:

Congratulations. Happy New Mixer Day. 👍 A single USB microphone meets my humble needs adequately.

As for the guitar, my fellow praise band guitarist plays a Little Martin. It's okay plugged in but not my cup of espresso. I'm also a big guy and I'd look silly playing a tiny guitar.

I never tried any USB microphone except a regular mic with a USB soundcard. Maybe it's my computer, but USB connections always gave me popping and crackling audio problems... !!! ??? Maybe my computer is not powerful enough, but then, my laptop either. 

For the small guitar, I think big guitars may make me look... small!!  Anyway, they hurt my back! The surgeon fixed my digestive problems, now maybe I'm going to be able to treat my herniated disks (3 + 2 bulging) more efficiently! I could not tolerate AINS or muscle relaxants before. 

Edited by Misha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Misha said:

I never tried any USB microphone except a regular mic with a USB soundcard. Maybe it's my computer, but USB connections always gave me popping and crackling audio problems... !!! ??? Maybe my computer is not powerful enough, but then, my laptop either. 

For the small guitar, I think big guitars may make me look... small!!  Anyway, they hurt my back! The surgeon fixed my digestive problems, now maybe I'm going to be able to treat my herniated disks (3 + 2 bulging) more efficiently! I could not tolerate AINS or muscle relaxants before. 

I have a Samson C01U microphone that I bought used. I record with one microphone for voice and guitar. Sound quality is more than adequate for my humble needs. All my VOM submissions were recorded with it and Audacity. I have an Intel i5 CPU with 16 GB RAM, which seems to be more than enough for my needs. It's not like I produce anything near pro quality recordings anyway.

Glad to hear your digestive issues are a thing of the past. Best of luck with your disk problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe I would need more RAM. There are 8 GB in my PC and in my laptop.

Also, I run a piano VST (Native Instruments package: The Maverick, The Grandeur and The Gentleman. Btw, they can be obtained for less money every year around Black Friday. I got it last year.) It makes my  electric piano sounds a thousand times better. It sounds crazy good! However, there are some misses sometimes. It's only installed on my laptop which has an I5 7200U Intel chip, a SSD and 8 Gb of ram. Some people told me more ram would help! I5 "U" CPUs are not as powerful as their counterparts,  "non -U",  versions. I don't think it's the electrical installation that is bad at my place because the digital piano doesn't do it otherwise. It just sounds less good than the VST! (It's still a good piano but VSTs are phenomenal, imo.)

I know I'm a little bit crazy about sound quality. I don't have great music skills, I just enjoy listening to music and watching videos with great sound! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Misha said:

Well, if it's Hi-Tech, then it's Hi-Tech but small (devices)!! I don't wan't it to take too much space!

The Dreadnought Jr sounds much bigger than a little Martin, imo! It sounds very good and for my 5'6'' would be perfect! Maybe it's just this one that sounds good. I can't say!

I'm still trying to resist though having so much medical fees helps me a lot in this way... (In Quebec, Canada, the free medical system means that you have to pay if you don't want to wait for years on a waiting list. I use a mix of both private and public medical services, this way I wait a bit less.)

In the UK the "free" medical system is pretty similar. But it's worth supporting.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, garthman said:

In the UK the "free" medical system is pretty similar. But it's worth supporting.

 

I guess it's worth supporting too because waiting is better than having nothing but it could be better! They say there are too many chiefs and not enough indians! 

Edited by Misha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...