NGD: Martin D-16GT (FOR REAL!!!)

Glenn F

• Members

I got her back from my luthier friend today. He did an exemplary job on it. I am finally convinced that Richlite isn't a problem for me. Post-setup, she plays so easily, it just makes me smile.

So, the 16GT:

All solid sitka(gloss) and mahogany(satin). Scalloped X-bracing. Modified low oval neck (probably my favourite acoustic neck profile). The spruce isn't AAA, but that is irrelevant. This guitar sounds fantastic, and plays like a dream. My experience with this guitar is directly in line with all of the reviews and discussions I've read. That is, overwhelmingly positive.

Smells yummy, too!

P1150275.thumb.jpg.78dcb4a1b158427921161de657b2ab5a.jpgP1150278.thumb.jpg.9988876a3e056716fc1a1879d77a996d.jpg

• Members

Nice looking guitar. I'm sure it sounds good too. Martins Sitka and Mahogany guitars are my favorite. Nothing against their Rosewood ones either. Enjoy!! I had a Martin with the Rich lite fret board for a while and I didn't mind it at all. It felt really smooth to me. I read an article about it on line and it is supposedly more durable than wood and takes very little care. I really don't think it affects the sound of the guitar at all. I'm sure if you had the exact same 2 guitars, one with Rich lite and one with Ebony and you were blind folded you wouldn't be able to hear a difference.

• Members
3 hours ago, baw3 said:

Nice looking guitar. I'm sure it sounds good too. Martins Sitka and Mahogany guitars are my favorite. Nothing against their Rosewood ones either. Enjoy!! I had a Martin with the Rich lite fret board for a while and I didn't mind it at all. It felt really smooth to me. I read an article about it on line and it is supposedly more durable than wood and takes very little care. I really don't think it affects the sound of the guitar at all. I'm sure if you had the exact same 2 guitars, one with Rich lite and one with Ebony and you were blind folded you wouldn't be able to hear a difference.

I doubt if one could the diffence either. I have s fist year Gibson ES 275 with the Richlite fret board. Which the no longer use on this guitar. The 16 series Martin's are rather nice, just hydrate the hell out of it in the winter time. The tops are a bit finicky san warp in dry climates . i have 2 00016's RGT's. One has. Cutaway with electronics.

• Members

Thanks. Humidity isn't really an issue here. Our flat is usually between 50-65%, and I usually keep my acoustics in their cases when I'm not playing them. However, the GT has been on our couch since this morning, and our livingroom is redolent with the aroma. I've never played another brand of guitar that gave aroma-therapy. 

I really can't say enough nice things about this guitar. When the prices were lower, they would've been a steal in the $1,000 range. The sound is clear, crisp, warm, with great dynamics. She sounds like a Martin, plays like a (well setup) Martin, and makes me smile. So, now I have two Standard Series models, the 16GT, and a 000-M (Road Series). Everyone of them has her own voice, yet they all sound like Martins. I'll never sell them, unless in dire straits. I'm selling a Taylor 320 to offset the cost. This will be the 3rd Taylor I've let go of. Guess I'm not a Taylor fan.

it took almost 3.5 months to get the guitar I wanted, a lot of teeth-gnashing, angst, and disappointment went into this insanity, as well as countless hours reading reviews and discussions. 

But I have the guitar I want. 

• Members
2 hours ago, Glenn F said:

it took almost 3.5 months to get the guitar I wanted, a lot of teeth-gnashing, angst, and disappointment went into this insanity, as well as countless hours reading reviews and discussions. 

But I have the guitar I want. 

Excellent. I'm pleased for you - enjoy!

Archived