Yorkville LS700p rumble

• Members

Just wondering out loud

I bought my Yorkie 2nd hand and it has always had a loud rumble in it that is audible sometimes and not others. I don't know if it's just when it hits a certain frequency but I only hear this 'noise' sometimes, usually I don't hear it.

I really notice it when we are watching movies and you get that super low ambient rumble sound...during live music or cd's I don't hear it.

I have always wondered if something in the box is loose or if a speaker is damaged does this sound normal from this box ?

• Members

The speaker is probably fine - you just have a specific low frequency that is causing things to rumble.

If you really want to fix it, get yourself a graphic equalizer in the signal chain. Then download this CD: http://binkster.net/extras.shtml#cd

Play the single low frequencies (not the sweeps) and find the one that rumbles. Look at the track list to see which frequency it is and cut that one with your EQ. Done.

**read the details and warnings on that CD - there are some tracks you should probably NOT play through your home system...be careful**

• Members

I really notice it when we are watching movies and you get that super low ambient rumble sound...during live music or cd's I don't hear it.

PA subs in this class, are designed for "LOUD", not "LOW & LOUD". You're probably feeding the sub too low a signal and getting a bit of break-up(distortion). My guess is you'll either have to cut some of the lows with an EQ, and/or lower the sub's volume. Another option would be to use a hi-pass filter on the sub, set at 40-50Hz.

• Members

What do you have it hooked up to?

My studio/practice room is my lounge room so the LS700p sits in the corner with the PRX512 either side of the plasma. Makes an awesome cinematic experience even if its not even dolby 5.1. Often get the neighbour knocking on the door in the middle of a movie unfortunately.

I feed all the speakers from a behringer (Yer I know but I was broke at the time) crossover - I will see if it has a highpass for the sub out.

Thanks very much for the advice all

• Members

My studio/practice room is my lounge room so the LS700p sits in the corner with the PRX512 either side of the plasma. Makes an awesome cinematic experience even if its not even dolby 5.1. Often get the neighbour knocking on the door in the middle of a movie unfortunately.

I feed all the speakers from a behringer (Yer I know but I was broke at the time) crossover - I will see if it has a highpass for the sub out.

Thanks very much for the advice all

You do know it's rear ported right? and it's in a corner, try moving it around, could be the blow back causing a build up.

Also turn off the 5.1 mix see if that helps.

• Members

You do know it's rear ported right? and it's in a corner, try moving it around, could be the blow back causing a build up.

Also turn off the 5.1 mix see if that helps.

They're front ported and its only being fed a summed mono signal! I was just making the point that the PA can't handle surround signals ;)

• Members

They're front ported and its only being fed a summed mono signal! I was just making the point that the PA
can't
handle surround signals
;)

My bad,:o I was thinking those were the rear ported subs.

I can't imagine your neighbors giving you greif running your

media system thru a PA system. :cop:

Archived