Martin D-18 M. Deluxe

baw3

• Members

I just happened to stop by my local shop a few days ago and the owner had stopped carrying Taylor guitars. He was stocked full with Martins instead. I started looking around and picked up  a few and then I picked up the Martin D-18 M. Deluxe. To say that I was really impressed is probably an understatement. I looked at the price on it and yes it is an expensive guitar. But I have to say I think it is worth every penny. And I think a lot of the Taylor and Martins out there right now are really overpriced. Anyway the D-18 Deluxe is now sitting in my home and I have been playing it a lot. Just thought I'd share my thoughts on the Martin D-18 Deluxe.

• Members

Thanks for the posts. I know what you mean about to rich for you. This is the most money I have ever spent on a guitar. But I just couldn't get this one out of my head. I will probably buy a few more guitars before they put me in  the ground. But I'm pretty sure I will never spend the amount I spent on this one ever again. I would probably recommend that if you can't afford the price of this guitar then  you probably should not even play it.

• Members

Now we need to start a thread on whether bridge pins with red dots sound better than bridge pins with white dots, whether bridge pins with white dots sound better than bridge pins without dots, whether bridge pins with large dots sound better than bridge pins with small dots, etc. ;)

• Members
11 hours ago, baw3 said:

Thanks for the posts. I know what you mean about to rich for you. This is the most money I have ever spent on a guitar. But I just couldn't get this one out of my head. I will probably buy a few more guitars before they put me in  the ground. But I'm pretty sure I will never spend the amount I spent on this one ever again. I would probably recommend that if you can't afford the price of this guitar then  you probably should not even play it.

I expect that if I had the cash at this point in my life, I'd at least take a look. Martin guitars jumped in price here a few years ago, so I'm glad I got my D-28 and OM-21 before the price jump. I could afford neither, here, now. Our discretionary cash has been allocated toward travelling, which, at this point, is more fun for both of us than another NGD, lol.

Enjoy your new baby.

• Members

Congratulations! Sometimes you have to jump, but it's money well spent IMO if it inspires you to play more. No comment on the red dot bridge pins. I like to personalize my guitars to my tastes. The one thing that sticks out to me is the choice of carbon fiber for the bridge plate. I have mixed feelings but no experience to base it off.

• Members

I get what your saying about buying 4 guitars instead of one. To be honest I have been down that road and all the guitars that I have bought at that price or even less, have all been sold. The only guitar that I paid  around a 1000 for, that I still own is a Yamaha LL16R. It is really a great sounding guitar IMO. I am retired now at 67 years old. I basically had owned only 1 guitar for about 30 years. It was an Aria Japanese made guitar that was a copy of a Martin D-35 that I bought in 1973 when I was overseas in Okinawa in the Army. I would play other guitars after I had bought the Aria, and to tell you the truth very few measured up to that guitar. But in the last few years probably because of the internet I have ordered and sold a few guitars. When I picked up the Martin D-18 Deluxe and started playing it, I got the same feeling I had the day that I played the Aria,that I bought overseas. I will tell you this for sure I will never sell the Martin D-18. I guess its all in what you want. If you would rather have 4 or more guitars for more variety then that's the way you should go. Myself I would rather just have that one guitar that just really gets to me every time I pick it up. But that's just me. Thanks again everyone for your posts.

• Members

I'd go with 2 in the $2,000 range. But the Martin Standard Series has little to offer now at that price point, at least in Europe. I've got a great collection, 16, and 1 on the block for my D-16GT, even my 'beater' is an all solid Walden. 

• Members

I hear you.  If money was no object I would own a few more guitars myself. So until I win the lottery I guess I'm just stuck with my Martin and the other 2 that I own. I guess this is where all you guys can start playing your tiny violins and say how bad you feel for me.

• Moderators
14 hours ago, DeepEnd said:

Now we need to start a thread on whether bridge pins with red dots sound better than bridge pins with white dots, whether bridge pins with white dots sound better than bridge pins without dots, whether bridge pins with large dots sound better than bridge pins with small dots, etc. ;)

Brass pins...no thread required...

• Members
40 minutes ago, baw3 said:

I hear you.  If money was no object I would own a few more guitars myself. So until I win the lottery I guess I'm just stuck with my Martin and the other 2 that I own. I guess this is where all you guys can start playing your tiny violins and say how bad you feel for me.

Not at all. I am sincere when I said 'enjoy.' I love my Martins, they're what acoustic guitars should be, imo. My collection, modest compared to many, is worth a good chunk. Basically, it's the most expensive thing in our flat. The D-16GT will be the 4th Martin in my collection, which I get back tomorrow.

Bottom line is, we only go around once, it's no great extravagance to buy something that will give you pleasure for the rest of your life!

• Members

I hear you GlennF. I hope you like your Martin D16GT. Let us know what you think about it. I also played a Martin 000-16 Granadillo  the day I bought my D-18 that was pretty impressive. I think the price on it was 1700.

Archived