Recording the performance

Riley Wilson-naX9B

• Members

I am using a Zoom H1 to record my shows. I use a line out of my Fishman Artist Solo or the mixer of my bigger Turbosound IP-2000 rig and it works well. Provided the output of my system isn't too hot, I can get a really accurate idea of what works and what doesn't. I've used this to fine tune my backing track mixes as well as determining the best guitar and vocal sounds. I recommend everyone do this at least from time to time. In some cases, I have even sent edited files to clients as a memento of a particularly good gig. I am sure this is in part responsible for my solo act's success. Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Riley Wilson

www.guitarmadesimpler.com/solo-performer

• Moderators

The drawback with taking it off the amp or mixer is you don't get the audience reaction and room ambiance, which is why I periodically shoot video with the my Zoom QN2...the audio is usually very accurate, and I can hear if people are talking while I'm performing....plus I can correct some of the stupid things I do physically during my performance...YMMV, but to me it isn't just the sound I worry about.

• Members

i run a zoom q8 as often as possible with direction that i dont want videos of me playing...  enough for a glimpse now and again, but i want the focus on surroundings (and people in attendance...  if its a public performance. ).   

Archived