boy i had my altecs screaming last night!

• Members

did sound outside for a metal band with my "woahfully too small of rig for that".

basically ran a ton of kick and only vox, everything else bled through the vox mics enough that it sounded like i was running everything through the mix (snare was tripping the 266 -6db on the vocal mics). i actually did have everything mic'ed up as i had to run it back through the drum fill (good god why???). they brought 2 marshall stacks and an ampeg 8 10 (i think, do they make a 6 10 or a 2 15 or something? it was just smaller than a traditional 8 10 and had a grill over the drivers. they were LOUD.

anyway i was shocked to see my signal lights showing signal on my wedge eq's. i've actually never seen them light up in the ten years i have used them! all the auxes were hitting 0 to +3 on the mixwiz and the output meters on the eq's were hitting -6 pretty regularly. never seen them light up before, didnt even know they worked. i cant imagine how loud those poor poor altecs were on stage but it must have been miserable. in my band i run them a good 16db lower than that and they are loud as hell that way.

when the show was over the AB amp rack (wedges) was DUMPING out heat like crazy and the crown rack (mains) was ice cold. i've never seen those crowns get the slightest bit warm, even when one of the fans stopped dead a while back.

loaded up the truck and it started pouring! just missed it thank god.

we do three of these shows for under 21 bands, i just cant bring enough rig to do it right which is lame but everyone is always impressed so i hate to wonder what they are used to(?)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

whatever it was it sounded awesome. crisp nice high end and phatt low end, very good bass sound. better than the 8 10's i am used to, seems like those are either a little dark or overbearing high end, maybe its the player?

• Members

They're probably used to what you're providing...probably much worse in terms of sound quality.

Those kids will be deaf very early in life if they keep going that way. Some lessons are only learned the very hard way. Tinnitis is a bitch.

yeah. i mean i like it LOUD in the crowd but nowhere near pain theshold. i like it NOT loud on stage, at least when i am up there. i can barely get the amps input meters to light when i run wedges for my band.

i was born with tinnitus. i've had it as long as i can remember, which is pretty young. i used to ask my parents what that sound was, and they thought i was crazy.

they still think i am crazy :D

• CMS Author

whatever it was it sounded awesome. crisp nice high end and phatt low end, very good bass sound. better than the 8 10's i am used to, seems like those are either a little dark or overbearing high end, maybe its the player?

As a (not very good) bassist, I can say that tone is in the fingers. But oh hells yes, the SVT-610HLF is a kickass good cabinet. My favorite of the SVT series. I've got a PR-410HLF which is the "cleaner" Pro series, but if I went with the SVT cabs, I'd have a 610.

Pbass into an SVT into a 610. All you need.

• CMS Author

i was born with tinnitus. i've had it as long as i can remember, which is pretty young. i used to ask my parents what that sound was, and they thought i was crazy.

they still think i am crazy
:D

*almost* the same here...except I'm pretty sure I got it in 1967 at JFK Airport at the outdoor observation deck waiting for my grandmother's B.O.A.C. flight to arrive. Those old J's *screamed*. It was thrilling and frightening at the same time, and I'm sure it caused damage. I'm luck y in that I only get a ringing that's noticeable in quiet rooms, unless I hammer nails or am exposed to other loud sounds, then it gets louder for a short time. My hearing though is otherwise very good for a 48 y/o...a slight dip around 5kHz, maybe 2dB or so.

• Members

i get ultra HF (+12k) ones usually, but the worst are the 1k area "test tones" i hate those.

my dad has it terrible, i think it must be genetic although he blames it on 35 years of being a band conductor and 10 years of big band playing.

know what really bugs me? this current crop of pickup truck exhaust that is stupid annoying - its not a good sound either, just loud and farty with too much woof.

i love the sound of a cammed up muscle car exhaust with turbo's or even a good glasspack, popcorn maker idle with a ton a crack to it but this stupid pickup truck exhaust is an awful sound. and the factory is doing it, i dont get it. i like quiet pickups, and maybe a little rap when you dig into it but not FAAAAAAART WHUUUUUUUUUUUUUM around 250-500hz resonsance. annoying!

• CMS Author

Yeah the p/u exhaust thing is catching on around here. It's almost as bad as the kids driving ricer cars with 1-1/4" pipes feeding an 8" "performance" muffler with 5" outlet.:facepalm:. They sound like a cow having a baby.

I laugh at them every chance I get. It's really fun to beat them from a light change in my bone-stock, quiet F-150. They're shifting to beat hell, and I'm drinking my coffee. Best is if I can catch them looking over (up) at me, and I'll give a startled look and then leave 'em in the dust.

BBBBBRRRRAAAGGGHHHHHHH:facepalm:

• Members

I've run quite a bit of shows with the SRX712M's on the stage floor. During soundcheck the band keeps going "more vocal... more vocal... okay that's great".

I look down and see that my AUX send for the vocal channel is at around +3dB... and at times the reflection of the monitors off the back wall is drowning out the mains.

BBBBBRRRRAAAGGGHHHHHHH:facepalm:

Me and my friend driving down the road, we hear this faint "eeeee" in the background... then "eeeeEEEEEEE-weeee".

"... did we just passed by a weedeater?"

It's a sunfire, buddy. Not a GTO

• Members

The sad part of that is when I was 19 I had a tricked out 1972 Chevy Nova, cammed small block 350 with high compression pistons, Edelbrock 4 barrel carb, headers, glass packs... basically the works. I kick myself to this day for selling that car before I finished college (broke college kids do stupid things).

Nowadays kids use loud mufflers and put huge fins on the back of a Honda Civic with a 100HP 4 cylinder engine in it and think they have a fast car.

It's sad.

• Members

when i was 19 i had a 1970 impala that had a cammed up 350 with a semi high rise intake and 4 barrel. it would do 70mph in first gear. shifting into second gear at 70 would leave about 50' of black marks on the road. i never did get into third at full throttle, it was halfway through the rpms at 120 in second and still pulling like mad. problem with that car was it was so low i kept banging up the headers on the ground.

there was one time a barreta GTZ was giving me the revs at a light. i held back on the throttle just enough to stay 6" in front of his bumper and watched him grind gears like mad. when i saw him shift into 5th i pressed down the throttle and watched him in my rear view with the dumbest look i have ever seen, he couldnt believe it. i was still in first gear.

• CMS Author

when i was 19 i had a 1970 impala that had a cammed up 350 with a semi high rise intake and 4 barrel. it would do 70mph in first gear. shifting into second gear at 70 would leave about 50' of black marks on the road. i never did get into third at full throttle, it was halfway through the rpms at 120 in second and still pulling like mad. problem with that car was it was so low i kept banging up the headers on the ground.

there was one time a barreta GTZ was giving me the revs at a light. i held back on the throttle just enough to stay 6" in front of his bumper and watched him grind gears like mad. when i saw him shift into 5th i pressed down the throttle and watched him in my rear view with the dumbest look i have ever seen, he couldnt believe it. i was still in first gear.

Dude we must be brothers from a different mother.

My 1st car...'70 Camaro w/a 350. I won a trophy doing bracket racing at Englishtown (on the sly...I was underage and my parents would have freaked as well...) and of course thought I'd do much better with a better engine. I bought and rebuilt a former Pro 'vette LT-1 motor....13.5:1 compression, 4-bolt mains, forged crank and rods, roller cam, lifters and chain, ported/polished 2.05 fuelie heads, Holly dual-feed double-pumper. Holy crap, all that in a bone-stock Camaro with highway 2.73 gears.

What a weird combo. It had a limited-slip diff, so it wouldn't break the tires loose with those gears. But I'd just leave it in 1st, bag anyone I was racing into thinking they had me beat off the line, and punch it 100% at about 35mph. The thing would take off like a raped ape, I'd shift at about 50-60, and never saw taillights.....ever.

• Members

yeah mine had 2.73's in it too. dog off the line but woke up real good at 50mph.

that car would NOT do 55 on the highway, no way in heck. it would do 50 or 65 just fine in third, but at 55 the gearing was just wrong enough so it couldnt hold 55 in third. at 85 in third the engine started to raise an eye like it was somewhat interested but still bored as hell. i do remember my rear view mirror didnt work well, at idle it would vibrate the mirror so bad that it would shake until it was pointed down. i had it tightened as tight as it would go and i got real good at setting it every time at a stop light.

the frame broke under the drivers door i think in 2001 or 2002 i think. i drove it with a broken frame for a while (engine/tranny worked great) until it got really bad then sold the engine to a friend. its been in his garage ever since, doing nothing. he is going to put it in his toyota land cruiser, and then shortly afterwards i will read about his imminent death in the paper the next day. i warned him!!!

the truck i have now has 3.54 gears, boat rower tranny, and a little 318 .30 over, smog pistons (8.5 to 1 i think) (hee hee i snuck a lumpy cam, edlebrock 4bbl and medium rise intake in there hee hee) manifolds off a 78 van (i'm done with headers). it will put your head through the back window in fourth from a dead stop (it will leave your kidneys on the road if you gently start it out in first, i start it in second) but it wont win any races. the cam is ground to run like a raped ape from 500 rpm to about 3300 rpm and then it dogs out. 3500 is about 85mph and thats about as fast as it goes.

with a good 1 second between gears (boat rower tranny NP435) it wont win even a stoplight race but it can pull a car/trailer like its not even there.

• CMS Author

I haven't trailered anything substantial yet in this F-150, but my previous two which were functionally identical would weight-carry tow my 5500lb boat trailer very well. You knew there was a trailer back there, but it handled like a docile pup and stopped well. An F-250 would have been ideal, but I wouldn't like one for every day use, which is a requirement. At this time it'll only be towing an ultra-light aluminum motorcycle trailer (390lb!!!!) with whatever I load on it up to 2000lb.

• Members

*sigh*

yeah, my first car is a '00 grand prix GT... it's governed at 110mph
:(

I had a 1980 something Dodge truck that didnt have 2nd or 4th gears. It was interesting sometimes since I live in the mountains. I dont think it would go over 60mph lol. After that I "upgraded" to an '85 Mercury Marquis.

• Members

What model Altecs? Altec Lansing and JBL are different companies and the current Altec Lansing makes mostly computer speakers. (and they re-introduced the A-7 Voice of the Theater.) But generally, they don't do pro-audio anymore.

• Members

It's funny that Altec Lansing is reported to have a discontinued product with that exact model number and look. (Also can't find a company that is only named Altec.) I've been an Altec Lansing fan for about 42 years. My first Altec Lansing product was a 35 watt tube PA amp. I have a pair of Kustom PA speaker with OEM Altec Lansing 15" drivers that I use nearly every week. Looks like one of your woofers has been replaced. The other should have an identifying number on the frame that would verify who made the woofer. The speakers appear to be rated 120 watts with a 97 dbc at 4' on 1 watt. (Pretty good. Very good for wedges.)

Thanks for the info.

• Members

yeah mine had 2.73's in it too.

Speaking of gear ratios, I could use a little advice on what would be a good gear ratio as I'm working on finishing my pick-up, and I do need to change the rear-end gear ratio... as I believe the current gear ratio is 4:11 (or higher) since the motor's turns approx. 3500 @ 55mph. I bought the pick-up as a half finished project... and all indications are the previous owner was setting it up for street light to street light head turning. In my possession, I doubt this pick-up will ever see another street light. My intention is to make a "fun driver" out of it... to run to the "store" (closest store of consequence is a 60 mile round trip... all 55 mph highway) and commute between my warehouses (7 miles apart, one stop sign, all 55 mph highway). More particulars about this pick-up:

Make: Chevy

Model: C-10 fleetside

Year: 1966

Engine: 383 stroker (approx. 400HP)

Tranny: Turbo 400

Rear end: 12 blot

Tires: 60 series 15" (205/60R15 I think)

Archived