Help identifying guitar

ZZR600

• Members

Hi all,

Been a lurker for a while so first post here and hoping someone can help.

Picked and this guitar a few months back and come up blank on any info or history online on the name on the headstock. 

Previous owner told me it's an ex gigging guitar from a local band in their area, which explains nicks and dents, but not much else other than that. I got it dirt cheap as they never played it and moved on to bass. 

Name on the headstock is Vulcan like Mr Spock but no other markings that I can see anywhere. It's a good player, knocks my Les Paul Studio out the park in all honesty, and the actual finish on the body is surprisingly good so would be surprised if it was just a budget knockoff.

Any help or info would be appreciated.

IMG_20190820_074507.jpg

MVIMG_20190820_074505.jpg

IMG_20190820_074507.thumb.jpg.cfe125a78772c85c18433cdf6b653402.jpg

MVIMG_20190820_074505.thumb.jpg.aeb23db41ab36b59e12cbe5b15fda6ff.jpg

• Moderators

I also came up empty on 'Vulcan' guitars...the name has been used for models by Fernandes, and a few other builders, but this could easily be a one-off by an independent luthier.  Is it set neck or bolt on?

Agreed the body cut is pure 1980 era Rich Bich, but the controls are wrong. This is based on the 2nd version of the Bich, the first was the 10 string model, where there were 2  D, G, B and E strings, like a 12 string, but the second set's tuners were at the bottom of the body, in the big notch. After a year or so, they started making a standard 6 string model...I knew a few people who had the 10 string model, and took off the 'second course' strings because it made it harder to play lead, and they got very muddy sounding at high volume with distortion.

The 'Rico' family's company were originally here in LA, and have been bought and sold many times...back around '75/'76 I [very briefly] owned what may arguably be the worst [or at least most painful to play] guitar body design in modern history, the BC Rich 'Seagull'

Archived