why you don't see me anymore pogo97

pogo97b

• Members

Used to hang out here. Enjoyed it. Then my 2008 MacBook stopped being able to open the site. This happens a lot when you're using an old computer and sticking with it, as I am. And now, et tu Harmony Central. Pity. My computer has not changed, and it still runs all the software I need, but web sites fail to load, or just fail because, I assume, the html generators are making calls my browser can't interpret. New browser = new system = new computer = not happening. Just so you know.

Sent from my wife's computer

pogo97

9 hours ago, pogo97b said:

Used to hang out here. Enjoyed it. Then my 2008 MacBook stopped being able to open the site. This happens a lot when you're using an old computer and sticking with it, as I am. And now, et tu Harmony Central. Pity. My computer has not changed, and it still runs all the software I need, but web sites fail to load, or just fail because, I assume, the html generators are making calls my browser can't interpret. New browser = new system = new computer = not happening. Just so you know.

Sent from my wife's computer

pogo97

Have you tried the old MacBook since we moved to the new software that we’re using now? What browser and OS are you running on it? 

• Moderators

Pogo, I had noticed your absence and was concerned something may have happened to you! Glad you are okay! There really should be no reason to not be able to access...unless maybe it is a site security protocol setting or something of that nature.

I will say that my old link comes up with an error message, but still hits the page.

• Members

I've had to upgrade a few Macs in order to have a decent internet experience. There comes a point where you have to upgrade the OS and if your machine is too old upgrading is impossible. My imac is a 2011 and won't take the latest OS but all is fine with the internet so far.

Pogo could check to see if his macbook can take an OS upgrade that will support this website. Applehistory.com is a good site to find this kind of info.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

Obsolescence is a pain, but that's just the way it goes. New processors and better technology enable developers to create cool new stuff and they aren't going to not do something because an old computer can't run it.

If you truly can't afford to ever upgrade your computer I feel for you, but if you're just being obstinate I understand that too.

Glad you've made it back!

• Members

I have a problem with Apple for that reason.

My first Mac ran on OS6 and Motorola processors. Eventually came "Power PC" CPUs which made all software before obsolete. Then came OSX which rendered more obsolete. Then came Intel CPUs when rendered everything before obsolete. And eventually I quit buying Macs. Now they are switching CPUs again, but I no longer have a Mac so I don't care.

It seems to me that sometimes Apple makes things obsolete just to get people to re-buy what they have that's already working. Since they are also in the hardware business, that makes the hardware orphaned. Mac hardware is expensive

On the other hand, Microsoft is mostly in the software business and they have maintained much, much better backwards compatibility. My 2002 IBM ThinkPad still works fine and does duty on stage whenever I gig.

Some of the Windows apps that I used in 1995 still work on Win 10. I like newer and better, but some companies have gone belly-up and the apps are no longer updated, with no modern replacement.

So it seems that with Windows I still get new-and-better, but can still use a lot of old-and-better too.

A lot of people don't need that, and prefer Macs, and that's OK. There is more than one right way to do this.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Members

I know a few folks that are up against the wall with their Macs and OS, and trying to browse properly. It's finny that for all the comments about Bill Gates trying to put 5G chips in our cereal, Apple is sometimes the big bad brother, forcing one to upgrade or "perish".  Looks like you maybe found a work-around, so good stuff.

• Members

"Upgrade or perish" I like that line.

It's the only thing I dislike about Apple. They make nice computers and the OS is different but just as good as Windows.

Here's another option. If you have an even older Mac lying around, how about putting Linux in it and using that to browse?

Notes

• Members

I'm doing okay, actually. I found https://lowendmac.com/ and am, somewhat grumpily, using Chrome. Opens *almost* any web page. 

The two big barriers for me upgrading are

1) the time spent upgrading and re-learning everything and

2) losing the ability to open and work with an awful lot of my digital history. My current system works with *almost* anything back into the 90s. Apple dropped that legacy support in the following system and I'd lose all that. I have two or three more of these macs in the cellar for parts.

• Moderators

Hope all is still copacetic...as long as you have your files backed up on something other than 'legacy' media [5.25 floppy?] and on at least a CD, you should be okay, but as technology marches on, we either march with it, or fall further behind. I had to retire my HP Netbook because it ran on XP, and can't seem to load W7 or W10...a shame because I  have traveled all over the place with the  little booger...

• Members

Ahhhh, the upgrade or die dilemma. Been there recently, all because I like games...... 

Bought myself a gift a couple of years ago, Star Wars Battlefront for the PC for 12 bucks. Did the download thing, my graphics card couldn't handle it. Ok, I can get a graphics card, did the installation of it, Power supply couldn't handle it. OOooh kay... Got a power supply that didn't fit my case, so out comes the dreaded tools, cut the case, rewired the power supply to run, and yippee... it worked! Kinda, sorta.... in a way. Sounded like a jet engine on takeoff, spewed out enough heat to roast a small potato, but it worked.  Go to load the game, the graphics card couldn't handle it. OK NOW...... Order the latest, greatest card, under 100 bucks mind you, got one, wouldn't fit the case no matter how much I use tools, so I had something that looked like it belonged in a black and white movie sitting on a desk with wires and circuits out and a mad scientist over it, go to play the game.... power supply couldn't handle it. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Ordered a new motherboard with chip, one that I KNOW deep in my soul will work, a new case, one that supposedly fits the graphics card, and a 700 watt power supply, a new one mind you, get it all together, and..... need a specialized cable from power supply to fit into the damnable graphics card. Got the cable, and boom, it works, oh God, it works! Price to play the 12 dollar game? 350 bucks.

And what is really annoying me 3 years later is that a new game I bought, I can't use in glorious 1800dpi, because of.... that's right, graphics card.

Good luck on your upgrading!

• Moderators
18 hours ago, badpenguin said:

Ahhhh, the upgrade or die dilemma. Been there recently, all because I like games...... 

Bought myself a gift a couple of years ago, Star Wars Battlefront for the PC for 12 bucks. Did the download thing, my graphics card couldn't handle it. Ok, I can get a graphics card, did the installation of it, Power supply couldn't handle it. OOooh kay... Got a power supply that didn't fit my case, so out comes the dreaded tools, cut the case, rewired the power supply to run, and yippee... it worked! Kinda, sorta.... in a way. Sounded like a jet engine on takeoff, spewed out enough heat to roast a small potato, but it worked.  Go to load the game, the graphics card couldn't handle it. OK NOW...... Order the latest, greatest card, under 100 bucks mind you, got one, wouldn't fit the case no matter how much I use tools, so I had something that looked like it belonged in a black and white movie sitting on a desk with wires and circuits out and a mad scientist over it, go to play the game.... power supply couldn't handle it. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Ordered a new motherboard with chip, one that I KNOW deep in my soul will work, a new case, one that supposedly fits the graphics card, and a 700 watt power supply, a new one mind you, get it all together, and..... need a specialized cable from power supply to fit into the damnable graphics card. Got the cable, and boom, it works, oh God, it works! Price to play the 12 dollar game? 350 bucks.

And what is really annoying me 3 years later is that a new game I bought, I can't use in glorious 1800dpi, because of.... that's right, graphics card.

Good luck on your upgrading!

oh, lord, spare me from the rabbithole!:D

for a good part of the 90's, the 'hardware support upgrade' business was my consulting partner's forte, and I got dragged along because I was the 'software guy'....back then the 'number crunchers' were the bread and butter. Then came the gamers....:facepalm:

Archived