Decent Guitar Amp Mics?

• Members

I need a couple guitar amp/speaker cabinet mics. Any recommendations? Something dependable and economical would be best.

It's hard to mic the amp with a 57 but they do work great for the speakers;)

Early for me, feeble attempt at humour....

Shure SM57's work for micing guitar, snare, trumpet, some vocals, congas.....

Good to have one in your arsenal.

But because they are one of the most popular mics in the world (SM58 being one of the others) there are many fake SM57's out there - complete with fake box, fake mic pouch... you name it.

And the fake ones have build issues, sound issues, and present moral and ethical issues - organized crime and intellectual property theft....

So don't buy from flea bay, CL, off the back of a truck etc.

Only buy from a reputable dealer.

• Members

SM57 the industry standard for decades. I use to use them, but to lighten my load in/out. Since I have to roadie most of the stuff by my self.

I got a pair of Sens. e609's which I can drape them over a amp cab and it's 2 less mini boom stands I have to carry. Trust me when you start getting older you'll start looking for ways to find short cuts to lighten your load in/out.

• Members

How to spot a fake SHURE microphone:

Relying on this info is really limiting. There are so many false myths in this that all you are getting is a false sense of security.

I have seen conterfits that looked exactly like the original down to all of the details. The way to tell was sound quality, handling noise and rejection pattern. Even this is getting better.

• Members

SM57 the industry standard for decades. I use to use them, but to lighten my load in/out. Since I have to roadie most of the stuff by my self.

I got a pair of Sens. e609's which I can drape them over a amp cab and it's 2 less mini boom stands I have to carry. Trust me when you start getting older you'll start looking for ways to find short cuts to lighten your load in/out.

+1. I still carry a couple of 57s for whatever, and use one for my own vocals, but I prefer the sound and response of the e609. YMMV

• Members

Stick to SM57's. They sound good on everything and are relatively inexpensive. Buy new and from an authorized dealer.

Sennheiser e609's are great as well, plus you may not need a mic stand if you can drape it over the cab. Just make sure it's pointing in the right direction. I've seen way too many guys put an e609/906 on a guitar cab, and point it the wrong way.

• Members

+1 No booms to trip over!

Check out the Marketplace section over on ProSoundWeb. There was a guy over there that had a few e609's for sale.

Archived