Power Amp Speaker Match Question???

• Members

Hello My Friends!!! Hope Everyone is having a GREAT weekend.

OK.

I have 2 Peavey EU 115 speakers. I also have a Peavey PV 3800 power amp.

I want to run the speakers with the 3800, full range stereo, (8 ohms per side). Not bi-amped and I don't own any subs. Don't really need them for what I do at this time. The bass response on the EU 115 sounds really good to me.

I play mostly Country in smaller venues. Pretty low volumes. Hoping for CLEAN headroom.

I hope I have this figured correctly. Please correct Me if I am wrong.

Match the amp at 60-90% of the PROGRAM rating of the speaker enclosures???

The EU's are rated (according to the spec sheet's and Peaveys webpage) at 500 W continuous, 1000 W PROGRAM and 2000 watts peak.

The PV 3800 (as listed) says it will run "Rated Power (2 x 8 ohms) 775 W per channel @ 1 kHz at

That would be a little over 75%. About right in the middle correct?

Will this be a good match? I hope so, since I own them.:)

Any precautions I should take?

Thanks again.

Michael.

• Members

Those speakers can get stoopid loud with less power than that. 500w would be a good safe watts for them. You're a bit on the high side of that so beware of feedback ! I think Peavey makes a PV2600 amp, that would be better. OTOH the PV3800 would be a great sub amp for a stoopid loud band ;).

• Members

Thanks RoadRanger and agedhorse.

I was telling Myself the whole time that I should of stayed with the Continuous rating of 500 watts.

Well maybe I can run the EU's off one side @ 4 ohms that would bring it down some.

I had the new 1600 series, (I posted in another post), then realized that was underpowered for these speakers took it back and got the 3800.

Can I just run a Samson compressor last in the signal path and use it as a limiter.

I may see a smaller rated CS series in My near future!!!

Thanks again.

Michael

Archived