Vehicle Advice For First Tour

• Members

E450? Maybe i'm giving the wrong impression, but we are a band of 23-25 year olds just looking to get down to sxsw, up to nxne, and make some midwest runs, some local PA/Boston runs. Suggestions like the E450 confuse me, seems more like a "pro touring vehicle" and we are not at that stage yet

I believe the Ford Clubwagon is the standard 15 passenger van... which IMO is big enough to reasonably haul your band and the gear you listed without the need to pull a trailer. The extended top Clubwagons are nice since you can actually stand up inside the van while loading or unloading gear... which in itself is a big deal because the best way to really screw-up a back is by schlepping gear inside a regular height van... bent-over & twisting.

I believe Ford has manufactured Clubwagons in E250, E350, and E450 models. I believe the E250 is considered "3/4 ton", the E350 is considered a "heavy duty 3/4 ton", and the E450 is considered to be built on a "1 ton chassis." In my experience, the maxi-sized Clubwagons all ride about the same regardless which frame they're built on, but the lighter frame versions are mushier in the corners with a good load, and the E450 version will accommodate more commercial rated tires. Also, the 1 ton frame and running gear over-all seems to be considerably more robust and longer lasting than the lighter frame versions. There's no doubt in my mind (based on experience) that the 1 ton frame version is considerably better for towing a trailer (if that becomes necessary someday) than the lighter frame versions.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

just downloaded that vehicles E-brouchure and they are looking for $25,000 apparently.

Well... forget that.

I'm a big fan of buying vehicles at municipal or govt. auctions. Generally they're well maintained, low milage, and sometimes go dirt cheap. As I recall I paid somewhere around $5K for my 2006 Tahoe with 70K miles on it... new tires and 1/10th of a mile on a full bumper-to-bumper GM service, completely detailed... and a full tank of gas... govt. auction.

• CMS Author

If you need the hauler to do double-duty as a daily driver, the only viable solution is a tow vehicle and trailer. You gonna unpack a van to drive to work, or greatly lower you gas mileage as well as increase the risk of theft by driving and parking your gear all over the place?

Get a trailer, get a compact pickup or SUV capable of towing it, and get the trailer painted, "Ace Septic Cleaning" to keep it safe while parked.:D

• Members
"Ace Septic Cleaning" to keep it safe while parked.
:D

Genius.

Mark - The bare-bones vans cost more because the primary purchasers ARE big businesses and governmental entities... it's the $470 toilet seat syndrome. Getting them at auction is a great way to go since the bigs have already taken the hit on the sticker price and most vehicles have been on strict regular maintenance regimen imposed by the grease monkeys in fleet management.

OP - Get your @$$ to Utica tomorrow for the NY State vehicle auction! Here's the list of upcoming auctions to put on your calendar.

• Members

no we aren't keeping the equipment in the van when we are home, it will stay in our practice space.

daily driver isn't going to be a huge issue anymore, as i'm working out some transportation issues. as i said, i will use the van every once in a while for some short errand runs, or necessary drives.

Decided I need to invest in a tour van more than a daily driver at this point.

I'll start looking at auctions for Ford E Class Vans, and some others mentioned, but keep the suggestions rolling.

• CMS Author

Then the E-series van, no windows, steel bulkhead, smallest engine available should be a good safe (for the gear) economical way to go. I see used plain whites around here (I know of at least 5 right now) selling for $3500-4000. I imagine they have a LOT of miles, but if they're from a corporate fleet they likely have good maintenance as monthlymixcd wrote. If they're being sold by a private contractor, beware, as maintenance and repairs are likely sketchy, especially in this economy ("deferred" maintenance = abuse).

• Members

Quick eBay search of "Ford E Van" within 100mi. of you under $12K and 100K miles returned at least a dozen vans that would serve you well... a couple around $5-6K... really nice stuff around $10K.

DING DING DING We have a winner: This would be a cheap way to get a NICE van.

EDIT: There's also a classic VW nearby... I know, I know... drop it.

• Members

I did some local searches on Kijiji, and found a lot of E series vans from about '99-00 that seem to be in nice shape and are under $3k.

Depending on how honest the seller is. Hell, I found a '94 Astro van for sale, great shape, for $350.

• Members

how bout some of these

(this site has a lot of affordable 2006-2007 15 person passenger vans)
http://www.imagecarsale.com/index.php?option=com_properties&view=properties&task=showproperty&cid=2:15-passenger-vans-for-sale&id=110:15p42&Itemid=1

http://www.everycarlisted.com/nj/roselle/ford/econoline-150/vin-1fdre14l62ha35936#oo

the conversion vans look comfortable, but usually have 2 bucket seats instead of a bench in the first row behind the drivers. as there is lots of leg room, if we put some pillow up in front to lay legs up, do you think 2 people could sleep on those?

• Members

...the conversion vans look comfortable, but usually have 2 bucket seats instead of a bench in the first row behind the drivers. as there is lots of leg room, if we put some pillow up in front to lay legs up, do you think 2 people could sleep on those?

The Blue Ford for $13K has a nice seating arrangement that would permit sleeping in that 3rd row with enough room behind it for gear.

That $10K E150 is pretty cool. I wonder if you could stick that fold down bench seat behind the driver's seat and then put a cage in the back for gear but with enough room to still use that bench as a bed?!? That'd be a pretty sweet setup for 10 grand.

• Members

found some great looking conversion vans, though i also found this...

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/cto/1806400965.html

112,000 miles on it - is this a great deal? we measured our gear last night and it's so compact, it could prob fit in this if we took out the 3rd row.

however if we'd be way more comfortable in a conversion van or passenger van ill still consider. also with the one bench in the safari, maybe it wont be a great sleeper.

• Members

That really IS a pretty good deal just for the van. Although the wheels would make you a break-in magnet I'm afraid. But you've got the dark tint to help hide your gear! Recent service, new tires, and backup cam are big... and of course "air is ice cold" has to be in the plus column. It'd be worth asking about the mileage...

• Members

124,000 miles - just spoke to the owner. hahah yeah this vehicle would definitely get stolen.

anyway, i took some pictures of our gear all packed up last night (the other gear in the room is not ours, its a shared space) so you can see how little we actually have,. the only thing missing from the picture is our drum hardware case and one more hardshell guitar case. the drum hardware case can stand up and fit in the space we left open between the amp and drums, and the guitar case can go right next to the tan one.

check pics.

gear.jpg

gear2.jpg

• CMS Author

A compact pickup with a hard tonneau cover, or cap, would be plenty. Or a shorty van or minivan. A fullsize or stretch van would give you possible (uncomfortable) sleeping space. A 4x8 trailer would work too, and could be towed by many midsize vehicles easily.

I would avoid any vehicle that you have to jump through hoops to pack and unpack. On any tour, that {censored} would get old in a hurry.

• Members

Agreed. You really don't appear to need a big vehicle right now. I'm friends with The Nadas and despite rolling around in Meatloaf's old tour bus, they still tow the bulk of their gear in a trailer behind it.

Good used trailers tend to hold their value once you're past the initial depreciation after purchase. Find a good small trailer used to pull behind your "daily driver" tow vehicle and trade up to a larger trailer as your needs grow. (Provided you have a place to store said trailer of course.)

EDIT: Since I apparently have nothing better to do right now...

• Members

i'd like to avoid the trailer at this point, and possibly get one once we are on the road a bit more. until then i think based on the amount of gear, we can get away with a passenger van or conversion van, to take the 3 of us around with our gear, and offer some sleeping possibilities.

still trying to decide between conversion van or passenger van. going to look at some tmrw. conversion vans really appear to be most comfortable

Archived