Sign in to follow this  
Mau5boy

Korg 01/Wd display

I need some help I bought a 01/wd for cheap and it works when plugged in but the display shows up with with loads of random character mainly loads of @ signs so I don’t know if this is a display or a software issue, would really appreciate some help if somebody knows thanks!

It's hard to say for certain. A keyboard that old could have various problems. One very common one is a dead internal battery for retaining edited sounds when it's unplugged. That's a fairly common issue, but I don't know if it's causing the display issues you're experiencing or not. 

I'd start by doing a factory reset of the keyboard and see if that clears it up. Here's a couple of links with instructions on how to do that:

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/reset-o1w-factory-sounds-back-o1w-reset/

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=70279&sid=0a3c1fcbb6e1dac75c1a6975f3a1292f

If reinitialization fixes it, then great... but if the issue returns after doing the reset once you turn the keyboard off for a while, the battery will almost definitely need to be replaced, at the minimum - and other repairs may be necessary as well. But start with the re-init, and see how it goes.  

Most of the time with Korgs of that vintage you just need to replace the CR2032 batteries. It's pretty easy actually and then just restore the factory sounds. I have done it before on a bunch of M-1. T Series , or O1W keyboards.