Help I.D.'ing Amp Part~~

ksl

• Members

Hiya... I'm trying to identify this amp component that, looking at the bubbling on the right side, needs to be replaced. I simply don't know what to ask for & where to look. FWIW, it goes from one of my old Gibson GA40's power tubes to some chassis mounted can. It's definitely not original & would like to make certain I get the correct thing.

Thanks everyone!

🕉

20191109_214454.jpg

On 11/9/2019 at 6:54 PM, ksl said:

Hiya... I'm trying to identify this amp component that, looking at the bubbling on the right side, needs to be replaced. I simply don't know what to ask for & where to look. FWIW, it goes from one of my old Gibson GA40's power tubes to some chassis mounted can. It's definitely not original & would like to make certain I get the correct thing.

Thanks everyone!

🕉

20191109_214454.jpg

The gold capacitor is the one I'm assuming you're referring to, since it's obviously burst (you can see "stuff" coming out of the right side of it, just below the orange wire).

It is an axial lead, 100 microfarad, 150V DC capacitor. They're widely available and quite inexpensive. 

I have no idea if that's the stock component value or not. You'd need to trace the circuit and compare it to a schematic; there are plenty of GA-40 schematics available online. But if you don't know what you're doing inside an amp, take it to someone who does - it can be very dangerous, even fatal, trying to fix a tube amp if you don't know what you're doing!

Archived