Sign in to follow this  
gardo

8 track tapes ?

Saw some 8 tracks on CL.  I can't remember the last time I even saw an 8 track tape deck. Us "old people" may be the only ones that even know what they are  ha ha 

Had quite a collection back in the day. Even learned how to take them apart and rewind them .  Not everything old school was good

01717_kq5KHnJQduO_1200x900.jpg

• Like 1

“Good” is rather subjective...   the idea was user controllable musical content in your car...   radio was swell, by golly...   but now you’re able to slip your girlfriends favorite album into the deck before slipping into the backseat to neck...  “good?”    Barely covers it from my perspective...

• Haha 1

oh, the horror.....my buddy in HS had an 8tr in his LeMans, and it would have to stop in the middle of a song and 'reverse' the tape...with sometimes a 10 second delay...hard to get your groove thang on...

The cartridges were based on the 'loop' cartridge tapes used in radio stations for PSAs and commercials...not really designed for 40 minutes of rock and roll. 8tr were notorious for being prone to capstan wrap, tears and incomplete spooling; they thankfully went the way of the dodo after a few years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Carry on my wayward son...… CLUNK …. There'll be peace when you are done.... gurgle gurgle gurgle....." Followed by the infamous.. "Crap, it's eating the tape again!!!!"

Edited by badpenguin
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, badpenguin said:

"Carry on my wayward son...… CLUNK …. There'll be peace when you are done.... gurgle gurgle gurgle....." Followed by the infamous.. "Crap, it's eating the tape again!!!!"

Or wedging a piece of folded up paper beside the tape to stop it from slipping 

But at least you could switch tracks to get to the good song right away 

Back in the early 80's I bought a used Corolla with an 8 track player installed. They were old tech even then. I found a few tapes at the dollar store and played the heck out of them.

• Like 1

When I was a kid my neighbor had a car with a 45 record player hanging under the dash

I thought it looked like a toaster

I too learned to take apart and fix, which sometimes included splices. Some cartridges were glued (bad) others had tabs holding together (good).

I first had a Panasonic 8 track recorder/player so made my own mixes. Later got a Wollensak QUAD player and stereo recorder with Dolby. Marantz 4400 receiver (all 57 lbs of it)...Had a couple Quad 8 players for car.

I was big fan of quad: until you've heard Dark Side of the Moon, Santana, etc in quad, you haven't heard them. The clock chimes in DSOM coming discrete from 4 speakers... wow. Reverb not needed for depth either for Santana etc. If sat/subs had been around back in 70's maybe Quad could have made it.... Wives might allow 2 speakers in living room, but 4? hah!

Saw a few months back Alan Parsons mix of Dark Side on quad 8 sold for more than $500.

Hopefully my deceased sister's hubby still have my quad collection in storage in Portland (I'm in Thailand).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Emory said:

... Wives might allow 2 speakers in living room, but 4? hah!

That's it. You've  solved something I never understood.

Why is it we have little tiny speaker in our houses and great big speakers in our cars.  The wives of course. it's obvious .

Edited by gardo
  • Like 1

Back in 1981, I got a 1973 Ventura hatchback with an 8 track tape player. I used to hate the pauses in the middle of a song.

I had Rush's 2112, Hemispheres, Styx's Grand Illusion, UFO's Lights Out and Strangers in the Night.

My Dad was so cool, he got me a top notch cassette player and stereo system for me as a reward for earning my first car.👍

• Like 1

From 75 to 80 I had around 50 or so.  Never had any problems with them in my house stereo or cars.  I could record albums on blank 8's too.  I loved the format and hated to see it go.  One of the few I guess.  I still have 10 or so in a box with a under the dash tape deck.  

• Like 1

In 74 I had an 8 track player in my 63 beetle. The car was  6 volt so I used a power inverter to get 12 volt for the stereo.  Ended up rolling the car ,as they never did handle very well. I took the tape player and the 2 speakers , mounted them in a little box  with a cigarette lighter adapter for a power source. I use it as a portable sound system.  Shoot, I almost had the first boom box and didn't even know it

The car became an awesome dune buggy. 

1 hour ago, gardo said:

In 74 I had an 8 track player in my 63 beetle. The car was  6 volt so I used a power inverter to get 12 volt for the stereo.  Ended up rolling the car ,as they never did handle very well. I took the tape player and the 2 speakers , mounted them in a little box  with a cigarette lighter adapter for a power source. I use it as a portable sound system.  Shoot, I almost had the first boom box and didn't even know it

The car became an awesome dune buggy. 

Every part of that story is awesome.  

:thu:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/6/2019 at 1:40 PM, AJ6stringsting said:

Back in 1981, I got a 1973 Ventura hatchback with an 8 track tape player. I used to hate the pauses in the middle of a song.

I had Rush's 2112, Hemispheres, Styx's Grand Illusion, UFO's Lights Out and Strangers in the Night.

My Dad was so cool, he got me a top notch cassette player and stereo system for me as a reward for earning my first car.👍

Sprung another memory: sometimes the 8 track versions were shorter than albums... thinking of Steppenwolf's first.... and... got a blank quad tape, recorded Hendrix "1983:  A merman I should be" on Electric Ladyland on 2 channels of quad & "Songs of the Humpback Whale" on other two... mixed/\.

I finally gave into cassettes as entire David Byrne album "The Catherine Wheel" (commissioned for wonder Twyla Tharp production) was on cassette. About 70 minutes, too much for album or 8 track. Oddly, cassette of Talking Heads "Speaking in Tongues" was longer than CD that was put out, which also put me out. They had the room....

Speaking of battery problems: I had a 64 MGB for awhile: positive ground vs 99% of cars negative ground. Tried to insulate, but, well, wires do get crossed. Smoke coming up out of console. Yippee! And don't get me started on 4 tracks...

On 11/8/2019 at 5:06 AM, Emory said:

Sprung another memory: sometimes the 8 track versions were shorter than albums... thinking of Steppenwolf's first.... and... got a blank quad tape, recorded Hendrix "1983:  A merman I should be" on Electric Ladyland on 2 channels of quad & "Songs of the Humpback Whale" on other two... mixed/\.

I finally gave into cassettes as entire David Byrne album "The Catherine Wheel" (commissioned for wonder Twyla Tharp production) was on cassette. About 70 minutes, too much for album or 8 track. Oddly, cassette of Talking Heads "Speaking in Tongues" was longer than CD that was put out, which also put me out. They had the room....

Speaking of battery problems: I had a 64 MGB for awhile: positive ground vs 99% of cars negative ground. Tried to insulate, but, well, wires do get crossed. Smoke coming up out of console. Yippee! And don't get me started on 4 tracks...

My first 8 track tape was Jimi Hendrix's "Rainbow Bridge", .....the frustration of the tack change / pause during "Here My Train  Coming" .... Was nothing short of irritating !!!!

• Like 1

I remember putting a 8 track into my '70 Bug. No mean feat at the time. First tape I bought was CSN&Y's "Deja Vu". Twas very cool back then. Don't remember any others I bought after that...

The first 8 track I bought was Santana’s Greatest Hit’s .and maybe Grand Funk Railroad’s Greatest Hits after that. Tapes are long gone but I still like the music 

I got an 8-track player in 1968, the first tapes I bought were the soundtrack to Hair and Inna-Gadda-Da-Vida by Iron Butterfly. I dug the format @ the time, but eventually switched to cassettes and cassette players.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, humbuckerstrat said:

I got an 8-track player in 1968, the first tapes I bought were the soundtrack to Hair and Inna-Gadda-Da-Vida by Iron Butterfly. I dug the format @ the time, but eventually switched to cassettes and cassette players.

I think everyone bought Inna-Gadda-Da-Vida 

Edited by gardo

I didn't buy it...but I was given no less than three copies for my birthday in '68

• Haha 1