What's the story on these coaxial monitors?

• Members
They aren't good for anything more than moderate volumes. 100w, 400w peak. They are the monitor version of the S100. For quite stuff sure, anything else I'd pass.

Manual sez 200w continuous 800w peak and 99db @ 1w/1m sensitivity - should be pretty loud, no?

• Members
It's a dome tweeter in that box. No lens.

Manual sez its got a 5" "Direktor™" which sounds like some sort of horn or lens to me? Most compression drivers have dome diaphragms - sounds like the marketing folks were just trying their damnedest to obfusticate "compression driver with 5 inch conical horn" :lol: .

• Members

I have quite a bit of experience with the FM12C and love it. It gets medium loud -- probably not going to make it if you're doing monitors for a metal band with Marshall stacks, but loud enough for softer rock.

The best thing about the FM12C is its size, shape and weight. It has a really small profile and fits on a small stage. It has two angles built in, and I can carry one in each hand.

We powered ours with Mx700s and later RMX850s with no failures in 15 years.

Now, I also own a pair of Zx1s. I have to say, those might be a better choice, just because of the age of the FM12c. I think the 12Cs were discontinued in 1996 (EDIT: 2002), so the ones for sale could be pretty old. I think the FM12c sounds a bit better than the Zx1 (even though I really like the Zx). The Zx1 is actually smaller, but is an 8in.

Plus, you can get Zx1s for $215, which will save you almost $350 over a $300 monitor. EDIT: Disregard...

• Members

The CL guy only wants $300 for the PAIR - not each.

Oh, in that case, I'd definitely go for it if everything is intact.

I imagine that the driver could be hard to get repaired. I hear EV is good about keeping parts, though.

• Members

I have to say that I'm still tempted despite the age since I would likely use them to replace the even older JBL G731s I have and would get me entirely switched over to EV gear, be 1/2 the weight of those JBLs, and a much smaller footprint to boot! BUT, I have seen ZX1-90s pop up now and then for $400/pr. and that's a small upcharge for all of the benefits of even smaller size/lower weight and also being able to use the ZX as mains for vox only and small acoustic gigs over a sub.

I'm gonna pass... get that MOJO working RR.

Archived