Snakes, XLR's and Jacks

• Members

I normally run sound for my band from the stage - no need for a stage box and snake.

To run sound for another group from off the stage I need to get a stage box and snake.

So far so fine, and no probs for connecting mics or FOH to my mixer...but my mixer's monitor output is a jack socket and all the snake looms I'm looking at have XLR connectors only.

Is this a common problem with a common solution?

Thanks for any help.

• Members

Oooh I get what you're saying. So you don't have EQs that you're going from the Mixer to before the monitors?

You need a mail TRS jack that converts to a male XLR so you can put the female XLR of the fantail into it right?

So what RR posted is exactly what you need.

• Members

Yeah, it's at the mixer end that I need a jack plug on the loom...

Just get a couple XLRM to 1/4" TRS adapters. Make sure you get the right XLR end, which should be MALE on the adapter, to mate with the FEMALE return connector on the fantail.

• Members

You could change the plugs on you snake to match but I recommend against it as you might want to use an EQ between the mixer and snake someday. In fact, I'd get the 5 foot adapter cables instead of the 1 foot ones so they will reach into your FOH rack when you put one together someday.

• Members

Yes, since you SHOULD have a channel of EQ for each monitor mix, just make sure your EQ has BOTH tr/trs and XLR input/outputs (like the dbx EQs) Run from mixer to EQ TR to to TR and from the EQ to the snake XLR to XLR.

I did that with my very first PA that had a PEavey RQ2002-16 with ALL unbalanced outs via a Nady GEQ231 down an XLR only snake.

Even now with the A&H GL2400-24, the monitors are TS out to a dbx231EQ via a patch panel down an XLR only snake.

Boomerweps

• Members

For this I bought 4x

http://www.audiopile.net/products/Mic_Instr_Cables/MP_Adaptor_Cbls/MP-106/MP-106_cutsheet.shtml

and ziptied them together. They usually live in the monitor amp rack case where they get plugged directly into the board (or patch panel on an FOH rack with XLR & TRS outputs) or into an EWI snake box. If the snake is getting used then I'll bring a second one for mixer to fantail. If I forget then just use 4x XLR cables on the amp end and the 1/4 to XLR on the mixer end.

Archived